Autopsy Freo lose to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideally Cox continues to show enough to stay in and we are able to play Tabs, Cox and McCarthy in something resembling a decent forward line.

Yep, one of the few positives is getting games into Cox. 10 marks last night is a good showing. The knock on effect from Tabs picking up the opposition's best defender will hopefully massively help the other tall forwards.

Ross will completely lose me if he drops one of them when Tabs is fit again.

I think there’s been the desire to put some serious marking power in the forward line for the post Pav era. The Ape was first or second in the TAC cup behind maybe Patton if I recall correctly for contested marks, it’s clearly a strength of Cox and Tabs has demonstrated what he can do. Put son son and Harley B and Ballas and Matera at the feet of those guys and surely you’ve got to have a set up that the Wilson’s and Ryan’s and hills and Mundys can hit up when they break out if he half. Just can’t get all the pieces on the board at the same time for any length of time unfortunately.

On the other hand I just read a first hand account from a family dealing with 2 kids being in the latest school shooting in the US and losing this footy game doesn’t seem quite so important any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there’s been the desire to put some serious marking power in the forward line for the post Pav era. The Ape was first or second in the TAC cup behind maybe Patton if I recall correctly for contested marks, it’s clearly a strength of Cox and Tabs has demonstrated what he can do. Put son son and Harley B and Ballas and Matera at the feet of those guys and surely you’ve got to have a set up that the Wilson’s and Ryan’s and hills and Mundys can hit up when they break out if he half. Just can’t get all the pieces on the board at the same time for any length of time unfortunately.

On the other hand I just read a first hand account from a family dealing with 2 kids being in the latest school shooting in the US and losing this footy game doesn’t seem quite so important any more

Good point about bigger things, but Apeness has been very, very disappointing

Putting your astuteness aside for a moment, it's just frustrating how that right direction is now running right up to about 60-75m from goals. I really do like our backline this year, its a huge improvement and every chance to both defend and move the ball forward against most opposition, then even tonight there's so much more teamwork and transitions through the midfield, its all building nicely.

And then it goes forward................

giphy.gif

p>

Freo will get there but I still came a lot closer to watching some rich couple get married than I would have hoped to on a Saturday night.

That gif! Not only is it the perfect visual representation of our forward structure and method, but it stays funny no matter how many times you watch it.

Aside from the fact they haven’t won a game yet, Brisbane play a good brand of footy that is actually good to watch. If it ever clicks for them and or they keep their good young players, they could be a decent team in a few years. Keeping in mind they’re the youngest side in the comp by some margin.

IMO it reinforces to me how important the game plan is to players mind set and their approach to the game.

Definitely for mine. I'd even give him the boot in 2019 if we are still playing like this. It's obviously a risk bringing in a new guy but at least there's a chance of high reward (Adam Simpson, Bevo etc).
Even if Ross walks out at the end of this year (Which is unlikely), I think the squad is in a good shape overall. Age wise it isn't too bad once the old guard in Mundy, Sandi Johnson etc are gone. the back line is starting to gel, the midfield talent is there, its just the forward line that needs to be fixed.

Good point about bigger things, but Apeness has been very, very disappointing
I am absolutely gutted with Apeness so far. Was our 1st round pick in 2013 as a ruck forward.

Played a couple a couple of games in his debut season in 2014. Played in the WAFL in 2015 then did his knee add the year off. Came back late 2016, played 5 games and kicked 3 goals, all from set shots too. Looked like he was going to play a fair bit of games for freo in 2017 then did his knee again

Delivery is shocking. Not sure if that's because of the lack of targets though. We were shooting it in a bit better with Tabs about. Still not good but better.

I think you people are dreaming if you think Tabs, Cox and Apeness will change our fortunes if we don't also change the way we kick the ball inside 50.

Besides Tabs, our key fwds are only as good as the pin point deliveries they receive eg; against the rabble’s that are GC, bullies, bombers and saints.

They are unable to create anything from half chances(with pressured delivery) McCarthy is a classic for this. Loves the easy mark, absolute seagull around the contest and now very lazy. Even for a “third tall” he’s absolutely out of his league atm. I don’t give a flying you know what that he was born on dockers first game or he barracked for freo and that he sat on his ass for 12 months to come to us. He’s got to go to wafl. Stop playing favourites Ross and stop sticking up for him Bigfooty. He’s become redundant in our fwd half cause he simply doesn’t do anything a tall fwd should! Wont watch a freo game till he’s at peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expected to lose by ten goals. We haven’t won in Sydney even with our side a top two team in the Comp.

Having said that - Walters handball to McCarthy - McCarthy goal from fifteen out and just one of the other two or three relatively easy ones go our way and it is a much different game. That gives me hope.

A team with so many players under 30 games is rarely going to turn the tide against a top eight team.

I’m more frustrated at Neale. He seems to have little impact when the game is on the line. Not playing like the A grader he is/was.

Yep - IMO it is telling that executing going inside 50s is at the top of the problems, and he was the top inside 50 disposer. At his best (probably 2015) he was dangerous around goals and kicking into the forward fifty; but at the moment the hurt factor is really low. This is not to excuse the lack of forward structure (partially coaching, partially lack of experience as you raise).

Our only KPF. Gives us a target up forward, gives us an outlet kick down the line, lets McCarthy play as 2nd/3rd fiddle. Hopefully we can have him back around the bye.
I doubt they aren't going in with McCarthy Cox and Taberner. Cox was the second tall yesterday and took 10 marks (17 possessions). He was good. Swapping him out with Taberner and expecting anything would have been different is illogical.

People are forgetting Taberner has been on the list for last the last 6 years and hasn't done anything yet to show he's the answer at CHF, yet people on here talk about him like he's Wayne Carey. If he was that good, why didn't he do something last year or the year before when we really needed him?

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

West Coast are playing Kennedy, Darling and Waterman forward. Just saying.

Three talls is working.
Can do it if they play mobile and can mark...it also helps if the mods can kick to them

It's all been downhill since you retired mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back