Autopsy Freo Win by 27 v Gold Concessions @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not having a go at our recruiters. They picked him and deserve credit, but there was no grand plan to fix our forward line here. We pounced on 3 halfback flankers in that draft, and one more small forward, all before Treacy.
Yep, but I want to know what was (or wasn't) in his game that led him to slide so late. Maybe a belief that his ceiling is about how he is playing now because he is already developed? He's good on the lead, but maybe contested marking ability isn't strong? Although he seems to crash packs well enough.

I'll also say Reddit is full of softies, got a week ban from the AFL sub for saying I wouldn't care if Treacy "accidentally" flattened Margetts on his way to collect the ball.
Someone on there had a legit mental breakdown over umpires (police were called in, nearly got committed). Very strange people on Reddit.

Yep, but I want to know what was (or wasn't) in his game that led him to slide so late. Maybe a belief that his ceiling is about how he is playing now because he is already developed? He's good on the lead, but maybe contested marking ability isn't strong? Although he seems to crash packs well enough.
The no footy in 2020 may also have contributed. If you believe the draft central page the knocks were tank and agility.

If he wasnt considered agile you could see why he would slide since he's not super tall by modern key foward standards.

Ideal modern height seems to be 196 to 199. 2 metres and over and no matter how agile your acceleration and ground game is compromised (this is why I don't see the Kings as 70 goal forwards)

Last edited:

Not so much based on this week but more reading the game ratings and footy articles in The West for a while...

I'm going to guess that John Townshend feels most comfortable when surrounded by very white privileged "friends"? The type that immediately call the police when some non-white person knocks on their door.

Just a thought for the West Australian... how about a football person rather than a cricket person to take over the ratings?

The no footy in 2020 may also have contributed. If you believe the draft central page the knocks were tank and agility.

If he wasnt considered agile you could see why he would slide since he's not super tall by modern key foward standards.

Ideal modern height seems to be 196 to 199. 2 metres and over and no matter how agile your acceleration and ground game is compromised (this is why I don't see the Kings as 70 goal forwards)
It’s an interesting one. Unless you’re an imposing 200cm+ a lot of these ‘tall’ guys can be easily nullified just on strength alone. Look at the King brothers. Not developing yet as crash the packs marking forwards. More like small forwards leading to the ball. McKay creates headaches. Tabs too.
Who knows.
Don’t forget Pav was 1.92, same as Carey, and Brown. Jack and Nick Riewoldt are the same too.

Treacy uses his speed and think he ll be a contested bull once he strengthens up.

I love Darcy, he's going to be an absolute force

He’s just developed so well. Now his heart and body have developed enough to carry him through games he’s just a joy to watch.

his around the growing marking has improved out of sight as his kicking for goal.

If we had a 20 year old Justin Longmuir with him we’d be set

It’s an interesting one. Unless you’re an imposing 200cm+ a lot of these ‘tall’ guys can be easily nullified just on strength alone. Look at the King brothers. Not developing yet as crash the packs marking forwards. More like small forwards leading to the ball. McKay creates headaches. Tabs too.
Who knows.
Don’t forget Pav was 1.92, same as Carey, and Brown. Jack and Nick Riewoldt are the same too.

Treacy uses his speed and think he ll be a contested bull once he strengthens up.
They were, however they were more or less the same height ratio to their contemporary defenders, so they're not directly comparable. I.E. Basically every player is taller now. Just as they in turn were a few cm taller than the previous generation of key forwards*. Plus Jack and Johno are 195 which is more at the shorter end of tall for a modern key forward rather than the outright shorties Pav, Carey and Roo.

*IMO this is a product of the evolution of the game (Less space for mobile forwards like Pav and Carey to do their thing, more dirty ball coming in making reach over athleticism less of a disadvantage), more so than people continuing to get taller in society in general. The average Australian male was a lot taller in 2010 than 1980, but 2020 you'd think is about the same as 2010.

He’s just developed so well. Now his heart and body have developed enough to carry him through games he’s just a joy to watch.

his around the growing marking has improved out of sight as his kicking for goal.

If we had a 20 year old Justin Longmuir with him we’d be set
Obviously agree with this, but I think he has more development in him, than he's already developed...if that makes sense?

He's gone from being a lumpy, frumpy farmer's kid, who had talent and was good because he was big, to being a confident, skilled man mountain and one of the better rucks in the comp.

His next step is just as exciting...He could be single handedly destroying teams when he's 27-30 years old.

Though the game didn't reach any great heights on Saturday, a win is a win regardless.
The first half was abominable.Bereft of skills,from all on the ground.And not only players.
For me one of the highlights was the never ending hard work done by the Big Onion, Sean Darcy. He continues to improve.His work ethic is enormous.With out doubt,in my view, our most improved player by a long way.
At long last we seem to be getting something week in and week out from some players I thought were border line, Aish, Collyer and Acres.All seem to have found a niche for them selves.
The ever improvement from Andy Brayshaw is heartening.He is one of our few gut runners.
I found that after half time it became a more team orientated effort.
Great to see Alex Pearce get through unscathed.He got better as the game progressed.Our back line once again doing the job required.
Liam Henry was once again impressive with his run and play making.
Treacy continues to improve with every hit out.He will become our number one target later.Only 18, still growing, no footy last season, a totally ne environment, learning the teams structure.Give him the remainder of this season and then a full preseason, we have some thing to look forward to.
Western and Walker showed that they will be good payers for us with more time.
We have something to look forward to in the weeks after the bye.

Last edited:
They legitimately have a rule that says "No umpire abuse." What the fu**?

They suddenly came up with it during one of our games last season and we were getting massively ****ed by the umps. Us Freo supporters were going ballistic so the mods decided to introduce that rule. They conveniently forget about it when it suits them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They suddenly came up with it during one of our games last season and we were getting massively f’ed by the umps. Us Freo supporters were going ballistic so the mods decided to introduce that rule. They conveniently forget about it when it suits them.
I'm pretty sure it was actually the Adelaide vs St Kilda game last year when the Crows were getting raped by the umpires and the entire match thread was full of everyone except Saints fans bashing them. Not long after the mods introduced the rule.

Think Oscar Allen if he didn't get to play football in his draft year. No one would have known a thing about him.

Cesspool that place.

Had someone dox me on there and came out with all kinds of personal stuff. Just nasty. They were perma-banned but I still wonder who the hell they were.
I only ever browse, the user interface and format are completely unwieldy and unfriendly for interesting discussion. A friend sent me that link a few years ago, I was like "wow I thought BF could be bad".

He needs to play midfield or wing. He’s lethal forward of centre, not across half back.
As much as Aish dislikes it, his best footy is half back.
He has been plugged in a heap of different roles ever since he came to the club and has never complained once.
He also said in an interview the other night that's he's happy to play anywhere, but is really enjoying the definitive role of a back as he finds himself more involved in the play - so he may actually prefer half back.
what a ridiculous thing to say that he dislikes it, so odd for you to speak like your in his mind for no reason?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back