News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

images

Loved that series

The Gabba needs a redevelopment.

Building a new Olympic Stadium elsewhere does not make the issue of a Gabba redevelopment go away, in fact it would complicate the issue. It makes sense to 'kill two birds with one stone' and redevelop the Gabba as the Olympic Stadium and being able to use some IOC funding to do so (a once in a generation opportunity).

Brisbane does not have the need or demand for two circular 50,000 seat stadiums. Building a second one in addition to the Gabba would be a complete waste of money.
What's the difference though? Either way you are going to tear down one stadium and build a new one - the only difference is the location. If the Albion site were to go ahead, the gabba would almost certainly be knocked down after 2032 and the land sold right?

If Albion has
- bigger site = easier, cheaper construction
- can still use cross river rail services with a station @ Abbotsford rd
- can recover some value by redeveloping gabba site as high density housing
- doesn't require kicking out the Lions (& cricket) for 4-5 years
- is much closer to the athlete's village at Hamilton

It might be something that'll be considered.

Will probably come down to politics though - which site is in a marginal Labor seat?

Last edited:

I am not sure why any parent would want their child to attend this school during the 3 years of construction apart from convenience
You don't really have much of a choice these days, especially in the inner suburbs. Most schools have a catchment plan - if you live in a given location and you elect to send you child to a state school, that's where you have to send them. You can apply for exemptions I think.

Honestly, piss off East Brisbane State School.

We've got the world's biggest sporting event in a decade and I don't think the closure of one school (with a dwindling number of pupils) is a massive sacrifice.

Time to move on. It's in a ridiculous location as it is. It's not as if we are elimination education or demolishing the Story Bridge.

For the benefit of those who might not remember, the reason the Gabba was built as it now,and not bigger as it should have been, is because of the adjacent State School. In spite of its then, as now, very small student population [around 280?].

Even so, I recall the then Mayor, Jim Soorley [never the sharpest pencil in the school bag, trust me, having met him, but a staunch ALP man], remarking on inspecting the then completed Stadium, that if he'd realised the seating intruded so much into the air space [note- not the ground level space] that he would never have had it approved.

Once the Cross River Rail project is complete, there will be a direct line from Woolloongabba to Yeronga (and thus, Yeronga State School).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, piss off East Brisbane State School.

We've got the world's biggest sporting event in a decade and I don't think the closure of one school (with a dwindling number of pupils) is a massive sacrifice.

Time to move on. It's in a ridiculous location as it is. It's not as if we are elimination education or demolishing the Story Bridge.
What a heartless attitude. The school existed before the Gabba did. If anything, the stadium should move. The area needs a school considering there isn't another one until you get to Coorparoo.

Once the Cross River Rail project is complete, there will be a direct line from Woolloongabba to Yeronga (and thus, Yeronga State School).
Or, for that matter, Dutton Park State School is closer still via the rail line.
Great, but the government needs to expand those schools to take in the catchment of not only their local area, but also Woolloongabba, East Brisbane and Kangaroo Point.

This is a tough one. There needs to be a school in that area, and it has heritage significance. That said, even if they can work around it, is it good for the kids, parents and teachers to be subject to three or four years of inconvenience, noise and dust. Could they build a new school at Raymond Park?

What a heartless attitude. The school existed before the Gabba did. If anything, the stadium should move. The area needs a school considering there isn't another one until you get to Coorparoo.
So? There wasn't a school within walking or easy travelling distance when I was growing up in Brisbane. If that is the reason to hold up a multi-billion dollar development there is something wrong. Obviously parents with kids around that area are sending them elsewhere already.

I'm all for conservation, education, tradition etc, but this tiny school should not be a factor. If that was the case, nothing would be built.

Just wait until they discover the rare spotted Woolloongabba natterjack in the playground.

So? There wasn't a school within walking or easy travelling distance when I was growing up in Brisbane.
So because you didn't have it easy, other people shouldn't have it easy? Do you want society to get better over time or should the same lifestyle challenges permanently remain for centuries?

If that is the reason to hold up a multi-billion dollar development there is something wrong.
Why is a development, now matter how expensive, more important than the lives of locals?

Obviously parents with kids around that area are sending them elsewhere already.
Not everyone has those means.

I'm all for conservation, education, tradition etc, but this tiny school should not be a factor. If that was the case, nothing would be built.
So you're not for those things, really. If the stadium moved elsewhere, it could be a much bigger school, serving an area with a very fast-growing population.

Just wait until they discover the rare spotted Woolloongabba natterjack in the playground.
So people aren't enough, you want to wipe out animals too?

This is a tough one. There needs to be a school in that area, and it has heritage significance. That said, even if they can work around it, is it good for the kids, parents and teachers to be subject to three or four years of inconvenience, noise and dust. Could they build a new school at Raymond Park?
There aren't enough parks in the area, either. Taking over Raymond Park is robbing Peter to pay Paul. And besides, the Olympic planning committee already wants to grab Raymond Park for a warm-up venue. The locals get screwed again for a big corporate jamboree.

So because you didn't have it easy, other people shouldn't have it easy? Do you want society to get better over time or should the same lifestyle challenges permanently remain for centuries?

Why is a development, now matter how expensive, more important than the lives of locals?

Not everyone has those means.

So you're not for those things, really. If the stadium moved elsewhere, it could be a much bigger school, serving an area with a very fast-growing population.

So people aren't enough, you want to wipe out animals too?
Wow, that escalated quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back