Game of Sloane (THE OFFICIAL HE IS STAYING thread) Thread now closed

Do you think Sloane will stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree - try and get 1 more good year in 2018, reduce his next contract, then move him on for a FA 1st rounder to a team like Saints who will pay through the nose.

We then have 3 x 1sts to try and trade far enough in to get a shot at either Rankine or Luko
All our firsts are likely to be beyond 10, so it'll take something special to get into the top 3 and it would probably require another good player.

Personally I would want to see how our midfield develops next year before moving Rory comes into calculations. You'd think Crouch x2 improve again, Greenwood and Milera too hopefully. If Gooch comes on and we land a good mid either this week or a well developed one in the draft then you might look at it.

Too many ifs for mine

Pure crash and bash midfielder. Has not played any other role to great effect.

Will be about 29 yo, 190 games in.

How much longer would he have at his best, 2-ish?
I was all "OMG Rory, please don't go!" until I read that. Yeah, OK, I think I can deal with him going if we can cash him in for the right currency. I suppose supporters like me need to adopt the cold, calculating approach that we'd all like the club to take.

:( Doesn't feel right, though.

I'd want the picks (plural) that guaranteed a 12 year gun player (or two) from SA to trade Sloane. (Whatever that may be)

Heart and soul, poster child for Victorian recruits, very important that he stays imo. Would hate to think of him in the same light as the other defectors.
Me too.
But can you imagine if he did decide to go, and we matched like Dangerfield. Media would be saying he ain't that good as he can be tagged etc etc therefore he's lucky to be worth more than a first round.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Me too.
But can you imagine if he did decide to go, and we matched like Dangerfield. Media would be saying he ain't that good as he can be tagged etc etc therefore he's lucky to be worth more than a first round.

Even if someone had offered him over a mil a year

Me too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he will be an unrestricted free agent by next year due to years served, so we will not have the opportunity to match and force a trade.

Drafted in 2008, so end of 2018 will make ten years served and will definitely make him an unrestricted free agent.

Heart and soul, poster child for Victorian recruits, very important that he stays imo. Would hate to think of him in the same light as the other defectors.

Must keep him.

I'd rather keep him for the last 2 or 3 years of his career and have him retire as a legend of our club rather than "cash him in" for a 1st round compensation pick which will probably be in the 14-18 range anyway assuming we finish top 4 again next year. This is more of an intangible, fabric-of-the-club issue for me more than a pure numbers game of what draft pick can we get for him.

Yes, I realise that's using my heart over my head, emotion over logic, and I don't care.

So assuming we miss out on Gibbs and Cameron goes, should we put the word on Sloane and trade him for 7&8 from the Saints now if he doesn't commit.

2018 will be a right off anyway.

So assuming we miss out on Gibbs and Cameron goes, should we put the word on Sloane and trade him for 7&8 from the Saints now if he doesn't commit.

2018 will be a right off anyway.

I really don't think missing out on Gibbs is going to be the difference between winning the flag next year or not. It certainly wasn't the difference this year.

I really don't think missing out on Gibbs is going to be the difference between winning the flag next year or not. It certainly wasn't the difference this year.
No Lever, Cameron and Smith with no players in = no flag.

No Lever, Cameron and Smith with no players in = no flag.

We don’t really know that do we?

12 months ago the Organic Growth line was widely ridiculed but the team played off in a GF and got spanked. Gibbs was not making much difference on GF day either way.

There ks still some serious development left in some of the younger players on the list who can come in and play the role. None of them will be Smith, or Lever or Cameron but there are many ways to get it done.

I think Crouch brothers have another level. Greenwood and Milera with another full preseason take their games to another level. Knight, Atkins, Kelly, Keath, Hampton, McGovern etc...all still have some real scope for improvement. We might have Seedsman for the whole season.

While it is not ideal, it is not “sky is fallng in” scenario either. Plenty of growth left in this group but I would want to bring in at least one experienced player into our best 22 if we are losing Lever, Smith and Cameron.

We don’t really know that do we?

12 months ago the Organic Growth line was widely ridiculed but the team played off in a GF and got spanked. Gibbs was not making much difference on GF day either way.

There ks still some serious development left in some of the younger players on the list who can come in and play the role. None of them will be Smith, or Lever or Cameron but there are many ways to get it done.

I think Crouch brothers have another level. Greenwood and Milera with another full preseason take their games to another level. Knight, Atkins, Kelly, Keath, Hampton, McGovern etc...all still have some real scope for improvement. We might have Seedsman for the whole season.

While it is not ideal, it is not “sky is fallng in” scenario either. Plenty of growth left in this group but I would want to bring in at least one experienced player into our best 22 if we are losing Lever, Smith and Cameron.

My gut feeling is that our window has passed. We were thereabouts in 2016-17 and we didn’t take our chances

That doesn’t mean I don’t think we should try to crowbar it open one more time, I think we should definitely have another go

I do believe that history will show 2016 and 2017 as transition years where we had a shot, but didn’t take them

2018 is the closing of the window not the opening imo

Time will tell of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My gut feeling is that our window has passed. We were thereabouts in 2016-17 and we didn’t take our chances

That doesn’t mean I don’t think we should try to crowbar it open one more time, I think we should definitely have another go

I do believe that history will show 2016 and 2017 as transition years where we had a shot, but didn’t take them

2018 is the closing of the window not the opening imo

Time will tell of course

I think our window depends on our trading THIS year.

Most of the core, important, consistent members of the squad have at least 3-4 years left. Someone like Sloane, Talia or Lynch are in that 26-27 age bracket. The only players of concern are Betts and Jacobs.

But we aren't going to improve and keep that window alive without trading in ready made quality. There are many players we can squeeze another 3 quality years out of, but we won't be challenging if we keep losing players and bringing in no one.

If we end up with Organic Growth 2.0, it's game over, window closed, shut up shop and rebuild. If we end up with quality players (not Puopolo and Aish) we might be able to keep that window open for the next 3 years.

I think our "window" also depends on whether we are willing to back in young talent. If we think players like Mackay and Atkins are going to get the job done and keep backing them in, the window is gone. If we ditch them for youth like Gallucci and select the squad based on whether the players perform in big games, we actually improve despite losing "experience" and thereby keep the window open

Sloane hasn't signed on and we haven't traded him.

If he tells the club he's going let's be the first club to be open about it and stop media speculation throughout the year, we know Sloane will still give his all.

Well if he’s going he should go now otherwise we get nothing.
I assume we will get Band 1 compo pick (though what odds on the Motlop debacle causing a rule change to abolish compo?!)

I've said for quite a while...sign before trade period or be traded (assuming the price is high).

It's not only the far reduced compensation but it's also the media speculation all year long.

I don't want Sloane to turn into an underperforming liar next year.

We must put the hard word on Sloane. If he says he is going and we have a poor start to 2018, put the cue in the rack early. Reload with two top 5 picks and another top 10 pick and we are back up the top for another 10 years. It’s generally not the way we roll but it created a dynasty for the Hawks.

We didn’t lose 3 players last year.
It’s a big difference.

I love Sloane, but his inability to break a tag is a big issue for me, what good is he when he can be taken out of the game so easily ? If the club knows there is a high chance that he will leave at the end of next year they should be proactive and move him on this year. Instead we will try and convince him to stay, fail, and end up getting far less than we would have this year.

Wow, you guys had the best team all year and don't see that the 2018 premiership is Adelaide's for the taking. I love that the Crows had few top picks yet a better team than GWS. The Hawks won with multiple recycled or passed over players.
Just get Brice Gibbs for whatever it costs and a pressure forward and you will be back in the top 4 with a chance.

I'd cry if Rory left

Even if we were successful afterwards it wouldn't be the same without him. He's Adelaide in a way Dangerfield never was.

Would be like Modra leaving which was only tolerable due to the two flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back