FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

So tv writers admit Jorahs death is another one they made up.

Can we now end the lie that the writers were giving each character the end that Martin told them. Clearly this is not the case for many.
Maybe he only rates as a secondary character on the GRRM scale.

I was a defender of the show last season amongst all the arguments around travel times, mystery fleet building, the weight of armour etc that went on in here. Just thought some stuff had to be overlooked in order for the story, which was in itself still intruiging, to be able to continue. But I just, as much as I have tried, been unable to overlook some of the terrible character storylines, off camera happenings that you are just supposed to go along with and inconsistencies this season. It has been jarring for anyone not wearing rose tinted glasses. It has just felt like 'lets get this sh!t done' so we can move on. The show deserved better than that given the epicness of it. I am not going to bother with tit for tat BS with the public defenders of the indefensible, but I think the overwhelming dissatisfaction of the majority of viewers speaks a lot.

Maybe he only rates as a secondary character on the GRRM scale.
Probably. But the writers have admitted shireen and hodors deaths came straight from Martin. Pretty sure Jorah is more important a character then both of them. At some point the writers just decided to skip Martins notes. Or Martin never gave them notes for characters how were going to go deeper in the story then Winds of Winter.

Dexter has the worst ending for any show that I can remember. GoT didn't sink to that level of awfulness.

The GoT ending is on par with Lost & Battlestar Galactica, in terms of lame endings which disappointed the fans. That said, the drop in story telling quality is on par with Dexter, where the early seasons were superb and the later seasons were truly awful.

It did but it completely fell off a cliff edge this season. Its now comically bad. Like they were deliberately trying to make it bad for the laughs. Of which there are plenty.
I didn't laugh
So bad its funny is scary movie 3.9 kinda thing
in time i will watch it all again but i feel it will be a mind rape ganged up after s5

Dexter has the worst ending for any show that I can remember. GoT didn't sink to that level of awfulness.

The GoT ending is on par with Lost & Battlestar Galactica, in terms of lame endings which disappointed the fans. That said, the drop in story telling quality is on par with Dexter, where the early seasons were superb and the later seasons were truly awful.
true
in the end...dexter filtered and flopped
sense was only thing being murderd

Probably. But the writers have admitted shireen and hodors deaths came straight from Martin. Pretty sure Jorah is more important a character then both of them. At some point the writers just decided to skip Martins notes. Or Martin never gave them notes for characters how were going to go deeper in the story then Winds of Winter.
I agree he’s more important as a character, but the circumstances of Shireen and Hodor’s deaths were far more pivotal to the plot. Shireen being sacrificed showed the lengths Stannis was willing to go to for the Iron Throne, and that the Red Priestesses would go to to see the prophecy fulfilled.

Hodor’s death illustrated the power and importance of the 3ER, tied up a long-standing thread of why Hodor is as he is, and displayed just how dire the situation is with the NK now being able to locate Bran/3ER and the Children of the Forest being killed to save him.

Jorah’s life has no major tie-ins to anything that I can think of, so he could theoretically die of attrition in the same way as Ned, Rob, Oberyn, Baristan (alive in the books) etc. who are soldiers first and foremost.

I think looking at it that way is too simplistic. The whole seeing the future then interfering with the course of events etc can cause more problems and be worse because of that interference.

Bran keeps saying things like "you were always where you were meant to be" etc. To me he is saying that the way things pan out is the way that things will pan out and that there's nothing you can do about it.

I think his line of "why do you think I came all this way?" is just an extension of that, but also designed to add some odd humour.

I can see why people may think it sounds malevolent but I don't think it's meant to be.

Was it ever claimed that the 3ER could see into the future? I thought it was that he could see everything in the past and present, which would give him an advantage in being able to anticipate the future.

Whenever you introduce superpowers into the plot you almost inevitably get fluctuations in those powers to create dramatic tension. So in the battle for Winterfell he acted as bait in a wheelchair when he could have been military intelligence 101. It's not a big deal but it adds up in the collection of what went wrong in S8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it ever claimed that the 3ER could see into the future? I thought it was that he could see everything in the past and present, which would give him an advantage in being able to anticipate the future.

Whenever you introduce superpowers into the plot you almost inevitably get fluctuations in those powers to create dramatic tension. So in the battle for Winterfell he acted as bait in a wheelchair when he could have been military intelligence 101. It's not a big deal but it adds up in the collection of what went wrong in S8.
We saw him warg into the ravens/crows at the start of the battle, returning to his body just before Theon was killed. D&D have obviously never heard of Chekov's Gun, because there was never any explanation as to WTF he was doing the whole time. We hoped that there might be some explanation coming in eps 4-6, but it never eventuated, meaning that his warging was just more D&D stupidity on display.

What he could/should have been doing was warging into the ravens, getting a high altitude view of the battle (i.e. reconnaissance), then returning to his body to inform the ground commanders. That would have made sense. It also required tactical thinking 6 or 7 levels above anything D&D are capable of.

Especially superpowers revolving around seeing into the future/changing future events, everything gets messy.

Still, Bran could have seen into the present to see what the Iron Fleet were doing, maybe saved Rhaegal. But we were getting the sense from Bran at that point that as the 3ER he was above the petty squabbles of empire building... until of course he wasn’t.

Bran is a pretty terrible character overall. Just sits there creepily staring at people with the odd 'deep' one liner.
I wouldn't call them "deep". That would be giving D&D far too much credit. They're just cryptic, in a vain attempt to make him look mysterious, instead of completely pointless.

Are you overly unhappy with the way in which Jorah died, though?
In the scheme of the episode, I thought it was reasonably fitting for his arc.

This was the case in the wildling that could warg that used birds/hawks or whatever it was to look over what the enemy was doing.

Are you overly unhappy with the way in which Jorah died, though?
In the scheme of the episode, I thought it was reasonably fitting for his arc.

Personally i would have loved Jorah to walk in just moments after Jon killed Dany.

But giving his life for Dany is also fitting.

Has any tv show finale ever generated this much debate? I think it's because fans are sad the show is over and by discussing and analysing it lives on in our memory
Ser Peter of Northwater.

Sopranos and Sienfield.

As a show though, I don't think there is any other show like it. Not a lot of other shows are polarizing but GoT is a sci-fi, fantasy, action, political drama in one and has so many strings to it. Everyone comes from a different perspective while also having different expectations and different levels of ability to suspend belief. It would be like putting West Wing, Band of Brothers, Lord of the rings and Rome together in a blender and making a show out of the mix.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back