Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They are its flowers forming
No natives aren’t my forte as I’ve only worked with Aussie plants but doing research it definitely looks like bronzing , which can be water stress related or a sunlight issue, take a look at the link https://hgic.clemson.edu/boxwood-bronzing-blues/
They definitely aren't flowers forming. It is on some of the plants, not others, and they definitely don't look healthy/friendly. I cut a few branches off when I got home from work on some of the affected plants.

There is some bronzing occuring on some of the plants/leaves, yes, but it's those buds I am concerend about.

They definitely aren't flowers forming. It is on some of the plants, not others, and they definitely don't look healthy/friendly. I cut a few branches off when I got home from work on some of the affected plants.

There is some bronzing occuring on some of the plants/leaves, yes, but it's those buds I am concerend about.
Looks pretty similar to a normal looking box flower.
IMG_5097.jpeg
Plants don’t all do the same thing at the same time. I’ve planted 20 of the same tree in a row some are 6 metres tall some three, some have a weeping habit some don’t. Anyway your plant is ****ed up in someway 😂.

Could it be a hybrid plant that's reverting back to its original form?

Could it be a hybrid plant that's reverting back to its original form?
Could be, I’ve seen that occur with correas and westringia, it still looks like bronzing when you compare it to an image search.

Maybe you are all right.

Now I feel stupid for cutting them. I guess I will wait and see, the bronzing is concerning though.

Did give the garden a water last night though, so I will monitor further.
Was it bronzing during summer? You could look at applying seasol , its root conditioner so it will at least help the plants root system. You could also simply stick your finger into the soil around the plant now that it’s watered and test it compared to the other plants that aren’t bronzing. It might give an idea as to whether that spot isn’t draining very well or is draining too quickly.

Was it bronzing during summer? You could look at applying seasol , its root conditioner so it will at least help the plants root system. You could also simply stick your finger into the soil around the plant now that it’s watered and test it compared to the other plants that aren’t bronzing. It might give an idea as to whether that spot isn’t draining very well or is draining too quickly.
Not that particular plant I took a picture of but one further down the hedge was/is.

My two Habanero plants went crazy, and are still flowering and producing fruit even though the weather has gone a bit cooler. Never used fertiliser, the birds and insects don't bother them.

They are super hot. You only need a small slice of one berry chopped up to make a meal pretty spicy. The orange ones have a smokey flavour whereas the red ones are pure heat.

1715273626997.png

My two Habanero plants went crazy, and are still flowering and producing fruit even though the weather has gone a bit cooler. Never used fertiliser, the birds and insects don't bother them.

They are super hot. You only need a small slice of one berry chopped up to make a meal pretty spicy. The orange ones have a smokey flavour whereas the red ones are pure heat.

View attachment 1984283
Are you adept in sauce making? That has the potential to become one hell of a ring burning condiment.

View attachment 1984283
Interesting chilli fact I learnt from a chilli group, when you cut open a chilli (the really hot varieties) the more goo inside the hotter they will be, the goo contains capsaicin which is what is used in pepper spray. I once grew the Carolina reaper and had the tiniest amount and couldn’t even swallow it.

Those are also some damn healthy looking habaneros, I’ve had trouble in my soil keeping my chilli’s looking good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you adept in sauce making? That has the potential to become one hell of a ring burning condiment.

I made a salsa dip with just one chilli in the mix. It tried a small amount and my mouth was on fire. I had to chop up all the tomatoes I had, to dilute it, and even then it was stupid hot.

I've been giving them away. I gave a bagful to the Indian lady that cuts my hair. She gave me a $15 discount! Turns out she got a good deal. They are $108 a kilo in Woolies.

Those are also some damn healthy looking habaneros, I’ve had trouble in my soil keeping my chilli’s looking good.

I've got them in a north facing bed next to the house. The soil is from a dirt pile left after I had a dig out for septic tank - so it could have come from up to 2m underground. It has a high clay content with no added compost or fertiliser.

Picked up a Lion's Mane mushroom kit on spesh from Coles a few weeks ago and harvested it yesterday. It's got a fluffy spongy consistency with internal strands. When eaten raw it's got a fairly neutral mushroom taste. When sliced and lightly fried in butter with salt and pepper it was delicious. I added it to a stir fry. It absorbed the taste of the sauce and kept a bit of chew - a bit like chicken or prawns.

It was super easy to cultivate. A child could do it, so it might make a good present. Once you harvest the bloom in one side you can take the internal packet out, spin it round and cut a hole in the other side to get another crop.

1716369766600.png

Picked up a Lion's Mane mushroom kit on spesh from Coles a few weeks ago and harvested it yesterday. It's got a fluffy spongy consistency with internal strands. When eaten raw it's got a fairly neutral mushroom taste. When sliced and lightly fried in butter with salt and pepper it was delicious. I added it to a stir fry. It absorbed the taste of the sauce and kept a bit of chew - a bit like chicken or prawns.

It was super easy to cultivate. A child could do it, so it might make a good present. Once you harvest the bloom in one side you can take the internal packet out, spin it round and cut a hole in the other side to get another crop.

View attachment 1997073
Interesting I thought that mushroom was not allowed to be produced in Australia. I’ve wanted to buy lions mane tablets to help with my depression.

Interesting I thought that mushroom was not allowed to be produced in Australia. I’ve wanted to buy lions mane tablets to help with my depression.

Karen Sullivan is quite scientific compared to some internet bods who talk about Lion's Mane.

tl;dr
Studies are inconclusive on whether it has health benefits.
It can be hard to find good quality supplements.
She tried one she trusted but stopped after two days because it upset her stomach.

Karen Sullivan is quite scientific compared to some internet bods who talk about Lion's Mane.

tl;dr
Studies are inconclusive on whether it has health benefits.
It can be hard to find good quality supplements.
She tried one she trusted but stopped after two days because it upset her stomach.

Yeah I did a fair bit of looking around, a friend at my work has told me one to try which he feels has benefited him. Unfortunately there has not been a lot of if any human trials on it, in rats and mice it has supposedly had very promising results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back