Garry Lyon and Yeo

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite simply, those who persist with the hagiography of Thomas Rockliff forfeit the right to bemoan the fact that Yeo is no longer on our lift.

Garry Lyon reports Rockliff demanded Yeo's $25k.

Quite simply, those who persist with the hagiography of Thomas Rockliff forfeit the right to bemoan the fact that Yeo is no longer on our lift.
I only liked this post after googling hagiography, for others as uneducated as myself HERE IT IS!:cool:

hagiography
ˌhaɡɪˈɒɡrəfi/
noun
  1. the writing of the lives of saints.
    • a biography that treats its subject with undue reverence.
      plural noun: hagiographies
      "a hagiography which is designed to serve a political agenda"

That wouldst be Saint Thomas of Port to whom thou art making reference I wouldst presume? His sacrificial spirit and willingness to lay down his innermost self that others would be raised up was an inspiration to us all ... alas some were found to be unworthy of the glory of his presence and showed themselves 'no true Lions' by their disloyalty to The Leader and His Lions and have shown the shallowness of their spirit by the misery of their careers once outwith That Which Was Rockith. You need only look at the pathetic dullardness of our post Rockist team play to see how disunited, how unwilling to lay down their selfish ambitions for the good of the whole, how lacking in gameplan and how uncompetitive against opposition they have been and realise that the future that was within our grasp following the Way of the Rock has slipped from our fingers and we needs must ... however unwillingly ... embrace and contend for a far different destiny...

Sure it would be a combination of a few things. But if you're at a struggling club, who won't even pay you an extra 25k, when you're already a low earner at the club. What a fantastic reason, as if there already weren't enough at the time to get up and leave.

Maybe he would've left regardless, but its very plausible that Yeo feeling underpaid was the final straw. Eventually everything adds up, we'll probably never know but maybe he was 60:40 on staying and this is what broke the camels back.
I heard from a high ranking club official that Yeo did not want to go.

Thought this was interesting.......
Brisbane Lions’ decision not to spend extra to keep Elliot Yeo might be ‘worst $25,000 not spent ever’, says Garry Lyon
AFL

ben_waterworth.jpg

f5684ece199c33f2609c6b75b0d21cc8

Elliot Yeo was traded from the Brisbane Lions. Picture: Darren EnglandSource: News Limited
BEFORE re-stocking at the national draft, many players escaped Brisbane’s grasp.

And, in hindsight, no departure would hurt more than that of Elliot Yeo, whose first West Coast contract, allegedly, included a salary that wasn’t too dissimilar to the one he could’ve agreed to at the Lions.

Yeo was part of the infamous ‘go-home five’ group that left the Brisbane Lions after the 2013 season. Yeo, along with Sam Docherty (Carlton), Jared Polec (Port Adelaide), Billy Longer (St Kilda) and Patrick Karnezis (Collingwood), all moved to rival clubs to return to their original states.

But, according to Lyon, it wouldn’t have taken Yeo much more convincing to stay at the Lions had they come fractionally closer to his financial demands.
“Elliot Yeo, I am told reliably, would’ve stayed at Brisbane for $250,000 — and they wouldn’t go over $225,000,” Lyon told Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“That could be the worst $25,000 not spent ever.”

Now, Yeo is one of the best players at West Coast and one of the game’s most dynamic midfielders. And he’d be on a lot more than $250,000 a year.

ea5c9e03a2a34d431cd60d8b205fb46c

Elliot Yeo starred against the Richmond Tigers at Optus Stadium.Source: Getty Images

Yeo was arguably the best player on the ground during the Eagles’ emphatic win over Richmond, finishing with 29 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 10 clearances, seven inside 50s and 557 metres gained.

While he was brilliant offensively, it was his work without the ball that impressed Lyon, even claiming Brownlow Medallist Dustin Martin holding the ball in two occasions.

“He was unbelievable,” Lyon said.

“The pressure they applied was unbelievable — and Yeo led the way, he was superb.

“That was symptomatic and symbolic of what happened.”

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android!

To the eye, the Eagles’ pressure was outstanding — and that was reflective in their Champion Data pressure reading of 184 — above the AFL average (182) — compared to Richmond’s uncharacteristically low 167.

Interestingly, though, it was a low tackle game, with West Coast leading the count 56-42.

But that was predominantly due to the Eagles’ biggest weapon: Their elite kicking game, which has catapulted them into flag contention.

West Coast controlled the tempo of the game and disallowed the Tigers from winning the footy. It finished with 56 more kicks than Richmond, while it also had an extra 47 more marks. In fact West Coast’s tally of 111 marks was the most against Richmond since Round 15, 2017.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...0-not-spent-ever-says-garry-lyon/news-story/e

Yep.....his "reliable source " would be couch partner and captain of the club at the time JB

Do recall that when that first came up it was floated in the entire absence of any evidence and AFAIK none has appeared since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our board and admin at the time was an absolute shambles so wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear it's true.

Did ask Lambert at coorparoo one day about Yeo and he ran with Lyon’s version.

Yep.....his "reliable source " would be couch partner and captain of the club at the time JB
I don't usually pay too much attention to scuttlebutt from "reputable sources" although putting these 3 posts together I'm inclined to believe it, particularly SRH17s post, unless we are accusing SRH17 of being a blatant liar.

Could have some truth if our salary cap was really tight and we actually couldn't afford it, but with 4 other players leaving there should of been a lot of room.

It all sounds rather specious but could be true especially when you factor in Lambert's comment - what reason would he have to lie? To cover up the real reason which would be a much worse look for the club?

Sure it would be a combination of a few things. But if you're at a struggling club, who won't even pay you an extra 25k, when you're already a low earner at the club. What a fantastic reason, as if there already weren't enough at the time to get up and leave.

Maybe he would've left regardless, but its very plausible that Yeo feeling underpaid was the final straw. Eventually everything adds up, we'll probably never know but maybe he was 60:40 on staying and this is what broke the camels back.

I was told he wanted to go home to play golf with his mates.

Yep.. Nail on head....Which Club was more appealing?....What coach is an effective leader?..Both clubs had new untried coaches coming in....Which coach is more approachable?....What club would you feel more comfortable at?...Which club went out of their way to keep the channels of communication open? ...Who was going to pay more?.........The professionalism of one club over another.....What team is going to play finals first?... Going home to family and mates v's new found work mates.....

Last edited:
I'd say it was possible that at some point the club was offering $225k and Yeo would only sign for $250k. If this was where negotiations were at beginning of 2013 I doubt many would have criticised the club for digging their heels in at that point.

By July-August 2013 when Yeo was entrenched in our first 22 and was one of a number of young players not signed beyond the year, many of which obviously ended up leaving, them I'm pretty sure even a dysfunctional club would have coughed up the extra money. But by then Yeo might have made up his mind not to re-sign.

It's also possible that Yeo wanted $250k for a one year extension a la Polec and Karnezis, while the club wanted a longer contract for obvious reasons.

One way or the other, I am very confident that Lyon's simplistic comments are not the whole story.

I'd say it was possible that at some point the club was offering $225k and Yeo would only sign for $250k. If this was where negotiations were at beginning of 2013 I doubt many would have criticised the club for digging their heels in at that point.

By July-August 2013 when Yeo was entrenched in our first 22 and was one of a number of young players not signed beyond the year, many of which obviously ended up leaving, them I'm pretty sure even a dysfunctional club would have coughed up the extra money. But by then Yeo might have made up his mind not to re-sign.

It's also possible that Yeo wanted $250k for a one year extension a la Polec and Karnezis, while the club wanted a longer contract for obvious reasons.

One way or the other, I am very confident that Lyon's simplistic comments are not the whole story.
Yeah he doesn't actually say if we matched this hypothetical figure Yeo actually would have stayed. Seems more likely that he was on his way out and it would have taken a much bigger offer to keep him, if he could even have been persuaded at all. Lyons version makes no sense considering we were losing players like a sieve, there would have been plenty of extra cash.

Yeah he doesn't actually say if we matched this hypothetical figure Yeo actually would have stayed. Seems more likely that he was on his way out and it would have taken a much bigger offer to keep him, if he could even have been persuaded at all. Lyons version makes no sense considering we were losing players like a sieve, there would have been plenty of extra cash.

Interview at the time:

"I was pretty eager to get home, I missed my family, missed my mates.
"The Eagles offered me a pretty good offer as well so I thought why not come home and play footy in my home State."
Yeo also denied there was any ill-feeling towards the traded players from those still left at the club.//
West Coast were not the only club interested in Yeo during the trade period. Fremantle also made a significant play for the former Dockers fan.
But Yeo said he had always been keen to land at the Eagles where he saw a greater opportunity to develop his game.
"They just seemed like a better fit for me and seemed like they would be able to get the most out of my football ability," he said.
"I was pretty keen to move in the end."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/mates-disperse-but-yeo-likes-eagles-nest-ng-ya-360415

Remove this Banner Ad

Back