Opinion Garry Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

He predominately played as a HFF'er who went back and had stints in the midfield. He was a bit like a James Hird type player although not quite as good. He wasn't a true FF like the three you names and to be fair not being as good as Ablett, Dunstall & Lockett doesn't mean you aren't still a ******* star

1993 rated number 3 in the top 50 by Sheehan and was favourite for the brownlow a year or two before that before being injured 3/4 way through the season

Facts are he was an extremely good footballer who was cut down a lot with injuries like say a Jonathon Brown (different style footballers)

The problem is dickheads look over statistics are try to use them as justification to mark down players from yester year. Imagine the fools looking up Cyril Riolis stats and trying to argue he wasn't much good or on the flip side looking up Tom Rockliffs stats and trying to argue he was one of the all time greats because he got lots of touches
James Hird’s stats aren’t that impressive, but anyone who saw him play knows he influenced games more than just about anyone you’d ever see.

It was the timeliness of guys like Hird and Lyon bobbing up to take marks, win balls and kick goals that made them outstanding players (although Lyon probably only for 2-3 years), which isn’t captured in stats.

He is a c#unt of the highest order.

I remember hearing him speaking on the radio after Melbourne lost to Geelong by 186 points - said something along the lines of he 'will be calling Jim Stynes when he gets home and will be demanding that he sack Dean Bailey'. The same Jim Stynes that was pretty much on his death bed, and the club were giving him a bit of space to look after himself. Stynes had to drag himself out of bed to meet with Bailey to sack him

Garry Lyon has made a post-football career of hiding in the shadows, pulling strings, sniping and doing dodgy backroom deals, while never actually taking any position of responsibility. This included hiring Mark Neeld, taking advantage of a dying Jim Stynes to be a one-man section committee, but never taking any responsibility for it.

The way he used a dying supposed close mate should have him banished from a post AFL career, but as we've seen with Wayne Carey, Leigh Matthews and Tim and Jobe Watson, doesn't matter how s**t of a bloke you are if you are part of the circle jerk that is the AFL media.

He is a c#unt of the highest order.

I remember hearing him speaking on the radio after Melbourne lost to Geelong by 186 points - said something along the lines of he 'will be calling Jim Stynes when he gets home and will be demanding that he sack Dean Bailey'. The same Jim Stynes that was pretty much on his death bed, and the club were giving him a bit of space to look after himself. Stynes had to drag himself out of bed to meet with Bailey to sack him

Garry Lyon has made a post-football career of hiding in the shadows, pulling strings, sniping and doing dodgy backroom deals, while never actually taking any position of responsibility. This included hiring Mark Neeld, taking advantage of a dying Jim Stynes to be a one-man section committee, but never taking any responsibility for it.

The way he used a dying supposed close mate should have him banished from a post AFL career, but as we've seen with Wayne Carey, Leigh Matthews and Tim and Jobe Watson, doesn't matter how sh*t of a bloke you are if you are part of the circle jerk that is the AFL media.
Never seen someone reach so hard for a reason to hate someone in my life.

I thought it was pretty clear that he was reluctant to help out at the club but Stynes insisted on it, so he eventually did. As in helping out a sick friend. Why did you interpret that in such a negative way?

Never seen someone reach so hard for a reason to hate someone in my life.

I thought it was pretty clear that he was reluctant to help out at the club but Stynes insisted on it, so he eventually did. As in helping out a sick friend. Why did you interpret that in such a negative way?
Because that's what happened. If you want to listen to Lyon's PR that's up to you - you are either too young to remember what actually happened, or one of those weird older Cheer Squad members. But the truth is Lyon threw a dying Stynes under a bus, hired Mark Neeld and then pretended none of it happened.

Last edited:
He predominately played as a HFF'er who went back and had stints in the midfield. He was a bit like a James Hird type player although not quite as good. He wasn't a true FF like the three you names and to be fair not being as good as Ablett, Dunstall & Lockett doesn't mean you aren't still a ******* star

1993 rated number 3 in the top 50 by Sheehan and was favourite for the brownlow a year or two before that before being injured 3/4 way through the season

Facts are he was an extremely good footballer who was cut down a lot with injuries like say a Jonathon Brown (different style footballers)

The problem is dickheads look over statistics are try to use them as justification to mark down players from yester year. Imagine the fools looking up Cyril Riolis stats and trying to argue he wasn't much good or on the flip side looking up Tom Rockliffs stats and trying to argue he was one of the all time greats because he got lots of touches
There was a time there (early 90s) where he was an electrifying player.

Jim Stynes that was pretty much on his death bed, and the club were giving him a bit of space to look after himself. Stynes had to drag himself out of bed to meet with Bailey to sack him.
I like Garry even more after reading this.

Because that's what happened. If you want to listen to Lyon's PR that's up to you - you are either too young to remember what actually happened, or one of those weird older Cheer Squad members. But the truth is Lyon threw a dying Stynes under a bus, hired Mark Neeld and then pretended none of it happened.
I’d be directing that anger towards the ceo back then, and the board… but that’s just me

He's this years 2007's Billy Brownless, 2016's Luke Darcy and 2017's Richo. And I'm good with that.

Considering Robbie Flower and Jim Stynes are no longer with us I'm happy for it to be Garry. His role in appointing Neeld speaks more to the dysfunction of the club at the time under a dying Stynes and an absolute moron of a CEO who almost sent the club to the wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude.

I think you’re a poster whose takes I may not totally agree with but would almost always respect where you’re coming from 99% of the time. :thumbsu:

However this statement you’ve made here is just not supported by evidence. Even avid MFC people don’t agree with this when threads involving this player have been created.

Now if you had written - ”Lyon is one of the better forwards in the history of the Demons” I think you’d be much closer to the truth.

FWIW IIRC Sheeds was once a little bit provocative implying that Garry Lyon was a little too arrogant when giving his thoughts on the game for a player who really wasn’t that spectacular.

No idea, did you see him play? He was a champion who did it all over the field, forward, centre or back.

Never favourite for the Brownlow.

1989 is the season I imagine you're thinking of. Played 15 games to round 16, polled in two games for a total of three votes. Kicked 20 goals.

Scott Morrison should hire whoever is in charge of Garry’s PR.

Let’s not get into the whole fiasco of a few years ago that was very well swept under the carpet.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Garry’s last act in any capacity working for Melbourne FC was to hire Mark Neeld as coach (in a director of football type role?) and then slowly walked away as the club moved about 4 years in the wrong direction.

Two years ago he was Melbourne’s biggest critic in his capacity as a football analyst. Questioning their culture and leadership.

Fast forward to 2021 and he is the biggest face outside the players and coach of the Dees premiership campaign.

Have I missed something here? PR team has done an unbelievable job here to make our Garry look very good…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swept under the carpet?

What's being swept under the carpet was Billy Brownless maybe not being morally loyal to Nicky during the marriage perhaps?

Being a complete drunk every single weekend at the footy, while being pampered in a Geelong cooperate box does take a toll on a marriage.

Never favourite for the Brownlow.

1989 is the season I imagine you're thinking of. Played 15 games to round 16, polled in two games for a total of three votes. Kicked 20 goals.
He was one of the favorites, however he did poll terribly!

1631590490001.png

He was one of the favorites, however he did poll terribly!

View attachment 1235449
I stand corrected. Surely early season odds though.

Lyon polled 3
Watson polled 16.
Platten 20
Couch 22
Bairstow 11
Daicos 12 (only polled once after round 4)
Stynes 10
Daniher 3
Mitchell 1
Buckenara 3
Dear 11
Pickering 0 (had 20 possessions twice after round 12)
Mainwaring 7
Armstrong 9
Naley 4 (from 16 games, missed rounds 8,9 and 10 which would have blown his odds way out than 25-1 I reckon)
Loewe 7 (no votes after round 9)
Kernahan 9
McKenna 13

No odds for Winmar, who polled 13 votes from rd 12 onwards.
No odds for Merrett who polled 11 votes from rd 16 onwards.
No odds for Dunstall who polled 11 votes from rd 14 onwards.

I found myself cheering for Geelong when they kicked a few goals at the end of the 2nd quarter purely because of my hatred for Gary.
That this is the direction you're thoughts headed while watching a game of footy says much more about you than about Garry Lyon.

I stand corrected. Surely early season odds though.

Lyon polled 3
Watson polled 16.
Platten 20
Couch 22
Bairstow 11
Daicos 12 (only polled once after round 4)
Stynes 10
Daniher 3
Mitchell 1
Buckenara 3
Dear 11
Pickering 0 (had 20 possessions twice after round 12)
Mainwaring 7
Armstrong 9
Naley 4 (from 16 games, missed rounds 8,9 and 10 which would have blown his odds way out than 25-1 I reckon)
Loewe 7 (no votes after round 9)
Kernahan 9
McKenna 13

No odds for Winmar, who polled 13 votes from rd 12 onwards.
No odds for Merrett who polled 11 votes from rd 16 onwards.
No odds for Dunstall who polled 11 votes from rd 14 onwards.
Yeah it wasn't at the end of the season but it was closer to the end of the season than the beginning. About three quarters of the way through so somewhere around round 15 or 16ish

Now of course he polled terribly so it doesn't really matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back