Gary Ablett Senior sues Geelong, Hawks and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the thread having seen he is also blaming Hawthorn and didnt realise it was in the Geelong section.

As for concussions, sure we knew that brains go foggy when the head is hit was he was long, long, long retired before we knew about CTE and other serious long term injuries.

He wants a handout because the son he has sponged off for the last 15 years has retired.

We're here to discuss concussion and how the game is managed from here, not Senior's morals or behaviour.

In all seriousness I don't know how Hawthorn can be held responsible for anything.

He last played for them in 1982. That's a full 41 years ago. He was fine to play 13 seasons at Geelong after leaving them. And he only played 6 games for them. Unless there was a concussion he suffered for them that Geelong knew about all along, which I very much doubt.

I dont want to be overly cynical ...perhaps in the 2nds games he played or the 6 games he suffered a significant hit. I doubt anyone back then would think more of it once he was again fit to play. I think Kennedy Sr had a saying about injuries above the neck not counting.... which for an educated man shows how the attitude was so different.

But in this era now who knows ... apparently ..its not just the concussion but the hard hits that might not be technically a concussion. they are now considered a plausible contributor to CTE. ...... and where players now are being suspended for tackles that back in GA srs day they would have trained and practiced the dumping....

the afl have a problem and I doubt the lawyers really care about the damage they cause to gain recompense for their client.

I dont want to be overly cynical ...perhaps in the 2nds games he played or the 6 games he suffered a significant hit. I doubt anyone back then would think more of it once he was again fit to play. I think Kennedy Sr had a saying about injuries above the neck not counting.... which for an educated man shows how the attitude was so different.

But in this era now who knows ... apparently ..its not just the concussion but the hard hits that might not be technically a concussion. they are now considered a plausible contributor to CTE. ...... and where playing are being suspended for tackles that back in GA srs day they would have trained and practiced the dumping....

the afl have a problem and I doubt the lawyers really care about the damage they cause to gain recompense for their client.
Isn't it merely covering all bases?

But in this era now who knows ... apparently ..its not just the concussion but the hard hits that might not be technically a concussion. they are now considered a plausible contributor to CTE. ...... and where players now are being suspended for tackles that back in GA srs day they would have trained and practiced the dumping....

Max Rooke is leading a class action of at least 60 players (think it's about 90 now) against the AFL too.

The lawyers involved have been sure to highlight a similar action in the US that saw an initial payout of one billion dollars.

Interestingly, the action is open to any player from 1985 onwards, and representatives of any dead players.

They argue that the AFL has known about the effects of concussion since at least 1992......Ablett retired in what, 1995?

Yep, O'Dea's hit on Greening had nothing to do with the VFL / AFL, and nor did the hits from Lockett, Matthews & Co, but no doubt someone will carry on about it being their fault because they allowed those players on the ground in the first instance.

There's a bit of personal responsibility to be considered too. The players themselves have some collective responsibility for creating the onfield culture that nurtured the violence that was common place a la O'Dea, Rhys Jones, Leigh Matthews etc.
Sympathy but does illicit drug taking affect the brain and can the damage be differentiated from hits to the head? If someone dies of an overdose of heroin, ecstasy and amphetamine use it could be argued that similar use could have lasting effects on someone else?

Sympathy but does illicit drug taking affect the brain and can the damage be differentiated from hits to the head? If someone dies of an overdose of heroin, ecstasy and amphetamine use it could be argued that similar use could have lasting effects on someone else?

No idea how it affects the brain, what long term effects it has, or whether the two can be differentiated.

Some people tolerate substances better than others. I remember hearing Jimmy Barnes saying he should be dead, like a few of his contemporaries, but somehow he emerged the other side relatively unscathed. Go figure.

It'd be an argument of probability, if it can't be unequivocally determined by medical science.

Didn't Billy Brownless once knock him out in the gym when they were sparring? Will he sue him too?

He's probably low on cash.

Anyway, wait and see.

Sorry, but this is a load of complete nonsense.

Gary Ablett Snr. is not looking for people to judge "past events by either today's 'standards' or today's 'insights.'

The man needs cash due to head injuries he sustained while playing for the Hawks and our Cats.

His lawyers have stated that he has significant medical and care needs, but there are no funds available through the AFL Players Association to help him.

This has nothing to do with "it's apparently so much more satisfying to be outraged than to be objective."

You've turned it into some strange political thing. It's not political. It's not emotional.

It's just a cold hard fact that men like Gary Ablett Snr. who sustained head injuries while playing footy for us deserve to have their medical needs met, and to have those medical needs met, they need money.

I hope he wins and I thank him for his year of service to our great footy club.
I never suggested that Ablett was looking for people to judge past events by today's standards or insights. In fact I specifically pointed out that I wasn't making any comment about the specifics of this case.

And I definitely hope that there is no need for him to 'win', on the basis that the club sorts out an arrangement with him instead that assists to alleviate his circumstances. Because I do believe any path involving litigation will ensure losses for all the key parties involved, including Senior himself.

watch this space... if these lawsuits win... every man and his dog is going to be lining up from decades gone...

The AFL will go nuts with policy changes if these cases proceed to win.

not good times ahead for the game if and when this happens....

Didn't Billy Brownless once knock him out in the gym when they were sparring? Will he sue him too?

He's probably low on cash.

Anyway, wait and see.

What's the motivation behind Max Rooke, and the 60+ players who've joined him, in his class action against the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troglodytes will trog

No-one has access to his medical records, or any insight into the quality of his daily life, so I don't understand how a call can be made about the sincerity of his claim .....unless it is done and influenced through a personal perception about his morals and behaviour.

In contrast, I don't think I've seen a single post casting aspersion on Rooke or the 60+ players who've joined him in his class action.

What if said drug taking was a result of a player using drugs as a coping mechanism for the brain juries received?

Money would be the overwhelming one.
Would you prefer the players to suffer in silence with their medical conditions and shrugs their shoulders at the responsibilities of a multi billion dollar industry ?

The players are being made out to be money hungry opportunistic campaigners without actually considering their quality of life moving forward

Sad to see but not suprising

Would you prefer the players to suffer in silence with their medical conditions and shrugs their shoulders at the responsibilities of a multi billion dollar industry ?

The players are being made out to be money hungry opportunistic campaigners without actually considering their quality of life moving forward

I think the thrust of the comment was that money is the motivator simply because that's what the individuals need to avail themselves of the medical services they require.

It doesn't necessarily imply greed. It's simply the core requirement.

Just gonna cut some of this off now.

Discussion of GAS and his physical condition due to on field action are fully warranted and accepted.

Discussion of off field matters will not be accepted or remain in the thread.

Its well documented elsewhere what happened - and was, is and will forever be a tragic event - and if you care to take up that issue, take it elsewhere.

Drive by's and references to start s**t talking will be dealt with harshly. You have been so advised so dont come back sooking about being gone later.

The debate of what happened on field then, and whom if anyone is liable now and what services can be provided to those suffering as a result is a real and well placed debate.

Go Catters

watch this space... if these lawsuits win... every man and his dog is going to be lining up from decades gone...

The AFL will go nuts with policy changes if these cases proceed to win.

not good times ahead for the game if and when this happens....
They shouldn't be waiting for the outcome of lawsuits.

The question is why isn't more being done right now?

If we can have a game that can be played without significant risk of repetitive head injury, it will be a the most positive thing for everyone who plays it.

Firstly it needs to be shown that the league is actually culpable.

I've said it already, which probably wasn't read - sad to see but not surprising - that if a player had a concussion, or showing the effects, and a club doctor, coach, or anyone else connected at the club let him play, then they are absolutely liable and in a big, big way. I don't see any argument about that. The massive problem is how you can prove - without any medical evidence at the time, or that the club forced them to play - how can you show the league is guilty? Rooke played local footy after retiring from Geelong. Is that club responsible too? If not, why not?

And some players will absolutely be doing it for the money. Like it or not that's human nature. I'm presuming those in favour are happy for Geelong to fund the payouts. If so they better keep making a profit because it could run dry really quick.

They shouldn't be waiting for the outcome of lawsuits.

The question is why isn't more being done right now?

If we can have a game that can be played without significant risk of repetitive head injury, it will be a the most positive thing for everyone who plays it.
It is actually a complicated space with a huge amount of research going on at the moment. The answer is we simply dont know how to fully avoid concussions impact conctact sports. There is no answer or quality treatment at present.

Alot of the research is actually where the lawsuits themselves are now emerging from, because we can link these symptoms mtpomz and problems back to historical concussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back