Review GBU vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

So, what if he kicks it up in the air 15.1m and marks it himself: does the mark stand?
The definition of a "mark" requires the ball come off the boot of a different player. so no.

Much like the Taylor Walker "Carried the ball across the line on the boot" garbage a few years back. All these debates are solved simply by reading the laws of Australian Football.

This is so true. I managed to watch three or four different games over the weekend. Our foot skills are by far the worst in the company, and it’s got nothing to do with the amount of pressure our guys are under vs other teams. Our guys couldn’t hit the side of a barn yet there’s plenty of players in other sides who have two players about to pounce on them but can still spot up a team mate 20 metres away who is under pressure himself.

We struggle to even kick it to advantage so that our player can bring the ball to ground.
That Murphy one was the worst of the lot. Sometimes people shank shots at goal, especially running (though we should look into what St Kilda have done this year).

But to miss every possible target and cause a direct turnover against all odds is just appalling. I think there was also one late where McAsey? (maybe Himmelberg?) took a good mark on the wing, had Walker leading to the boundary, and kicked it to the corridor, allowing the Essendon player to take an uncontested mark. Just brain dead.

Did anyone notice our change in ball movement on the weekend? It seemed noticeable that we were looking to move it forward by hand a lot more, particularly after half time. It was actually exciting to watch at least until we went one handball too many or kicked it straight to one of their defenders.

It's pretty bad how pretty much none of our players can hit a target with a 30m pass. I've never seen a side so bad by foot.
The lack of Kelly's momentum killing possessions was definitely noticeable.

The Good:
We took the game on.
Stengle
Hamill
Keays
Tex early

The Bad:
Himmelberg - How many chances?
The midfield as whole

The Ugly:
Can't kick
Can't take a contested mark

I didnt see the game so i wont reserve judgement, but please refer to my post in last weeks GBU.
There are two things we havent been able to do for years.

Hit a target and compete in the air.

I didnt see the game so i wont reserve judgement, but please refer to my post in last weeks GBU.

You picked a week where we actually won the Contested Mark stat 11 - 10 and were on par with the Bombers with Marks inside 50.

Competing in the air has been good for a while. We don't necessarily clunk them, but rarely out marked in attack at least.

Hitting targets - there were occasions we looked like we were colour blind.

What is ugly is Essendon’s continual ability to always make really ordinary small forwards look competent especially given how Saad’s roles changed to an all out attacker, swear Murphy’s now set for the next year in the team :sick:

And if Murphy plays the way he played yesterday how is that a problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Competing in the air has been good for a while. We don't necessarily clunk them, but rarely out marked in attack at least.

Hitting targets - there were occasions we looked like we were colour blind.

Nah, our forwards are shocking at bringing the ball to ground.
Our defenders are good in the air mostly.

When do we ever see that weird diagonal sideways 15m ball from a contested sitaution that breaks it open?
I dont think we've done that for 5 years.
When was the last time you thought 'clever kick'. Sure smith does some burners that hit difficult targets on occasion but not much more than that

Nah, our forwards are shocking at bringing the ball to ground.
Our defenders are good in the air mostly.

When do we ever see that weird diagonal sideways 15m ball from a contested sitaution that breaks it open?
I dont think we've done that for 5 years.
When was the last time you thought 'clever kick'. Sure smith does some burners that hit difficult targets on occasion but not much more than that
Our forwards aren't bad at bringing the ball to ground. The problem has been the forward set up where we don't have any small forwards.

Saints were very very good last week, they always had a small forward under a contest in the forward line.

They've got a decent forward line coach though...half their luck

Much like the Taylor Walker "Carried the ball across the line on the boot" garbage a few years back. All these debates are solved simply by reading the laws of Australian Football.

I still can't believe more wasn't made of that at the time. If it was Buddy or Jack Riewoldt that got stooged by that decision you'd never have heard the end of it, but because it was Tex/Us, who cares.

Didn't count as a kick because it was still on his foot. What absolute malarkey.

One more point I need to raise - and it is an issue that has driven me crazy for years.

Can we please, pretty please have any sort of plan when we kick on from a behind, other than kick long to the right?

This week we had ROB, Walker, McAsey and Himmelberg all on the ground at the same time. So we set up with Rob and Walker together. McAsey 15 m behind them in no mans land and Himmelberg 20 m from him. Every single kick in went to ROB. Walker sole purpose seemed to be to ensure that no-one marked the ball. Especially ROB who is literally the only player we have that might mark it.

So with ROB attempting to mark it and Walker trying to spoil him, surely we would have a fleet of crumbers flying through the contest, ready to gain possession and push the ball forwards? Nope. For some reason that baffles me, our opponent seems to know what we are doing, but are clueless. We kick long to ROB, who has 3 opponents (+ 1 teammate) bringing it to ground, only to find on the ground we are outnumbered 5-1. WTF?? Even if we do miraculously win it and kick it forwards or even break free, our only options are the two tallest slowest blokes on the field. Brilliant planning!

Why can't we come up with a plan that maybe actually utilises the talls we have? Could we have them on opposite sides of the ground? Could they block for each other and lead? Could we have a signal so our mids know where to go and get to the contest before our opponents? With ball in hand we should have an advantage, but we don't. It's utterly bizarre.

It's a shame both teams didn't give David Mackay a guard of honour for his last game of AFL.

(one day it will be true)

Seedsman laid the most tackles of our entire team. I thought he was good.
His goal was only brought about by the fact Mackay couldn't hit Tex on the chest from 20m away.

Himmelberg crashed a few packs, wasn't great but it was his best game for us. Gets a tick for improvement factor, up to him to kick on now.
Murphy made the most of his recall. Not polished but three goals and a lot of effort is a win. That turnover in the third was a shocker though.
Jones was anonymous for the second week in a row but we're on a hiding to nothing and need to persist.
Hamill is a revelation and McPherson was outstanding in the last quarter especially. Both look like they've played 100+ games already.
Matt Crouch was a lot better.

Ball movement from D50 was so much better without Kelly.

That Murphy one was the worst of the lot. Sometimes people shank shots at goal, especially running (though we should look into what St Kilda have done this year).

But to miss every possible target and cause a direct turnover against all odds is just appalling. I think there was also one late where McAsey? (maybe Himmelberg?) took a good mark on the wing, had Walker leading to the boundary, and kicked it to the corridor, allowing the Essendon player to take an uncontested mark. Just brain dead.

Murphy's was unforgivable. If the players were in opposite jumpers and the Essendon bloke was his only teammate in that scenario it would've been a hell of a kick to pick him out the way he did. Just complete momentum killer.

Reckon our defenders were told to take the game on a bit more when coming out of the back half.

We normally panick with a few sideways kicks, which allow the opposition to set up the zone before we kick it as high and wide as possible. Dropping Kelly helped, and even our stagnant ball users like Talia and Hartigan tried taking the game on a bit more - both of them sold some candy at different points!

Our execution is still pretty poor but at least they had a crack and there were a few exciting moments of play. Hamill's speed and Stengle's movement in traffic both look to be crucial in our offensive ball movement. Felt there was a lot of improvement yesterday.

One more point I need to raise - and it is an issue that has driven me crazy for years.

Can we please, pretty please have any sort of plan when we kick on from a behind, other than kick long to the right?

This week we had ROB, Walker, McAsey and Himmelberg all on the ground at the same time. So we set up with Rob and Walker together. McAsey 15 m behind them in no mans land and Himmelberg 20 m from him. Every single kick in went to ROB. Walker sole purpose seemed to be to ensure that no-one marked the ball. Especially ROB who is literally the only player we have that might mark it.

So with ROB attempting to mark it and Walker trying to spoil him, surely we would have a fleet of crumbers flying through the contest, ready to gain possession and push the ball forwards? Nope. For some reason that baffles me, our opponent seems to know what we are doing, but are clueless. We kick long to ROB, who has 3 opponents (+ 1 teammate) bringing it to ground, only to find on the ground we are outnumbered 5-1. WTF?? Even if we do miraculously win it and kick it forwards or even break free, our only options are the two tallest slowest blokes on the field. Brilliant planning!

Why can't we come up with a plan that maybe actually utilises the talls we have? Could we have them on opposite sides of the ground? Could they block for each other and lead? Could we have a signal so our mids know where to go and get to the contest before our opponents? With ball in hand we should have an advantage, but we don't. It's utterly bizarre.

Hartigan (even though I thought he was banned from taking kick ins) actually went down the middle with one in the third quarter. Pretty sure we ended up scoring out of it too.

Hartigan (even though I thought he was banned from taking kick ins) actually went down the middle with one in the third quarter. Pretty sure we ended up scoring out of it too.
Wait, we went from one end to the other and scored? Can't have that carry-on! Long and to the right is the tried and proven (failure) method. Hartigan is a loose unit who needs to be pulled in to line.

Drives me crazy as well. With two wings and a centre surely you push Rob, McAsey and Walker to the Defensive 50 with each in one of those three quadrants. Berg stays up forward. You have Seedsman, Smith and another medium tall there with each of the three to mitigate 2nd and 3rd man up. We then have a midfielder set up nearby for the spoil at centre and wingers there on the wing.

The forward 50 apart from Berg is open. The instruction is simple, mark ball then find Hamill and kick it to him and ensure he has space in front and instruct him to go. No one will catch him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back