Review GBU vs the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure they can find a way without leaving a trail behind them. Other clubs clearly do! ;)
Let's face it Jenny, if you're going to have twins, being a professional footballer on half a mill a year is probably the way to do it. No doubt it's had an impact, but let's not overstate it.

I took your comments as being for the specific game v Giants; all good.
No worries, thanks :thumbsu:.
Yeah, I was in discussion with American Crow and King Elvis (I think) about who's to blame for the mess of 2018. I think it's a mix of both, players and coaches (but with Hamstring-Hass as the main culprit).

No worries, thanks :thumbsu:.
Yeah, I was in discussion with American Crow and King Elvis (I think) about who's to blame for the mess of 2018. I think it's a mix of both, players and coaches (but with Hamstring-Hass as the main culprit).

The hamstrings are a massive part. The players not returning to pre-season training in proper condition also contributed.

Instead of being fired up by their Grand Final failure it completely flattened them.

Instead of being fired up by their Grand Final failure it completely flattened them.

Returning in poor nick *(below) + Collective Mindlessness (rubbing the players' noses in it) + Hamstring-Hass.
That's a damaging Trifecta.

*Richmond didn't seem to have any trouble with Premiership hangover or post-Flag fitness, yet they had just as much recovery time as us. :(:'(

In the games we lost last year, we were belted in the midfield, beaten in defence and rarely ever bothered to change up what we were doing, we back ourselves in to do the same thing, only harder. The one game we did do something different was against Collingwood at half time, making our defense faster, more mobile which allowed us to rebound faster. This season though, we have had no idea what to do with the ball as we, I think, have not had the fitness base to run to space which was the game plan, fast break, accurate kicking to split sides apart. We have been stuck with the Poholke entry into our forward 50 this year, which is basically the same was we exit our D50, a long bomb to a contest. There are no leading patterns, there is no decisive kick through the middle of the ground to open up the fat side of the ground for set shots, 30-40 metres out.

No doubt, this comes back to that cluster **** of an idiot Burton, and Hass who have destroyed players by not saying "get an operation, no, you have to do 4 weeks training and a week in the magoos before you can play in the firsts. Our season was shot by round 7 when we were so determined to get injured players in the side we didn't even stop to think "should we"?

The last two weeks, in particular, has just been shocking into our F50, barely SANFL standard...on a wet day. The coaching group and especially tht big nosed idiot should be hauled over the coals for this...but they probably won't

A big yes to this first paragraph. However, I think the problems with our ball movement have been building for some seasons and it all seems to stem from a midfield devoid of any real pattern.

The players not returning to pre-season training in proper condition also contributed.
I thought that the players turning up out of condition was later refuted? Was thrown out there by Burton to place more heat on the players in the preseason, or some other s**t reason?

I thought that the players turning up out of condition was later refuted? Was thrown out there by Burton to place more heat on the players in the preseason, or some other s**t reason?
A few players did, Talia said as much earlier in the year. Few guys didnt hit their return targets

Exactly right. And I reckon handy is all they'll be under Cameron. Look at that team and try and tell me they shouldn't be tearing the competition to shreds
It's an old cliche but a champion team will always beat a team of champions.
It's the Trigg culture of being happy as long as we're better than Port rearing its head.
No. It's just people trying to salvage some enjoyment out of this s**t-show of a season.

It's not all about the rivalry anyway. The whole competition is laughing at Port right now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
- Season is officially over. No more mathematical chance bullshit. We're done
- Milera is a good player
- In the first half, Tom Lynch was influential and once again we played well because of it. He's key for us
- Jenkins has found something extra this season
- Gallucci and Murphy will be really good players for us
- Smith is back
- Keath and Cheney are much more composed than Hartigan and Kelly

Bad
- Back to the terrible Atkins. 10 touches from well over 10km run. That's a terrible return. Offered nothing
- Douglas. 230 games, yet manages 16 touches at 56% with 4 turnovers. Shouldn't be in our plans for 2019
- Jacobs was pathetic. Time to retire.
- I hope Walker is genuinely suffering from some serious injuries because if he isn't, he is properly cooked. Get him properly right for 2019
- CEY had 7 touches mid way through the third quarter before padding that stat at the death. Not AFL standard
- Betts needs a pre-season to try and salvage the end of his career
- Greenwood and Gibbs were pretty mediocre. Though Gibbs kicked a couple.
- Transition inside 50 is putrid. Needs a complete overhaul in the off season
- Another poor 3rd quarter cost us dearly
- When we win clearances, they are hack kicks to no one. But when we lose them, we are cut apart like butter. Midfield structures are s**t
- Mackay reached 200 games. Never should have happened. It was a typical Dmac game too. Offered the side nothing.

This above is my good ! spot on with Douglas , why the f..k did we contract him when we did or at all really ... could have used that coin and that of Mookay to get Lycett or what we need the most which is a replacement for that lumbering dinosaucerous in the ruck . He has not only been complete s..t but his lack of effort is disgusting . Completely Cooked and total liability .

This above is my good ! spot on with Douglas , why the f..k did we contract him when we did or at all really ... could have used that coin and that of Mookay to get Lycett or what we need the most which is a replacement for that lumbering dinosaucerous in the ruck . He has not only been complete s..t but his lack of effort is disgusting . Completely Cooked and total liability .
Agree, a lot of the decisions made seem as though they are counter productive towards winning a flag. Decisions should be based on an honest appraisal of where the list is at. The club are clearly delusional in thinking that we are a top 4 team. I can guarantee you we're not currently and are far from it. We are an average side and until those clueless idiots running the club are honest in their appraisal of where we sit in relation to the competition only then will we see decisions made that wil give us a genuine chance of a flag. This will not happen under the current administration and their will be a massive cleanout at afc within 12 to 18 months i predict. We generally only make hard decisions when it is impossible to not make them.

Last edited:
If the player adhered to Walsh's team first mantra then they wouldn't be putting their hand up. We have a very selfish player culture.
No players in any club have this attitude. Every player always puts their hand up. The only time they don't is when they are actually injured and they are of such standing that they know their spot is in no danger at all. Players telling the coach, "Give my spot to someone else - they'll be better than me" is pure myth

Douglas will move to depth midfielder forward next season, much like your Gibson/Otten/Thommo. And on a very low contract, not the worst idea.

...what we need the most ... is a replacement for that lumbering dinosaucerous in the ruck . He has not only been complete s..t but his lack of effort is disgusting . Completely Cooked and total liability .
"lumbering dinosaucerous" --- I see what you did there. Clever. :)
He looks cooked and his rucking doesn't help. However, I don't think that anybody could say that he doesn't try, or lacks effort. I'd like to see him 'do, or do not' ie ruck better and lift his possessions around the ground (do), or retire (do not).
There is no "try" ;).

Really?
That's worse than I thought :(. 27.3% is dismal.
Do you have stats on other ruckmen in the Comp please?
Hitout to Advantage. Ignoring those who average less than 10 hitouts per game:
Dawson Simpson (GWS) - 39.6%
Ryan Abbott (Geel) - 37%
Tom Bellchambers (Ess) - 36.5%
Rory Lobb (GWS) - 36.2%
Aaron Sandilands (Freo) - 35.2%
Max Gawn (Mel) - 34.9%
Nathan Vardy (WCE) - 34.7%
Tom Hickey (StK) - 34.2%
Paddy Ryder (Port) - 32.1%
Brodie Grundy (Col) - 32%
Marc Pittonet (Haw) - 32%
Ben McEvoy (Haw) - 31.8%
Jonathan Ceglar (Haw) - 31.7%
Stefan Martin (Bris) - 31.6%
Oscar McInerney (Bris) - 31.5%
Todd Goldstein (NM) - 30.8%
Billy Longer (StK) - 30.6%
Andrew Phillips (Carl) - 30.2%
Lewis Pierce (StK) - 29.6%
Nic Naitanui (WCE) - 29.4%
Sam Jacobs (Adel) - 28.2%
Rhys Stanley (Geel) - 26.2%
Jordan Roughead (WB) - 25%
Scott Lycett (WCE) - 24.8%
Michael Apeness (Freo) - 24.7%
Callum Sinclair (Syd) - 24.3%
Matthew Kreuzer (Carl) - 24.3%
Jarrod Witts (GC) - 24.2%
Zac Smith (Geel) - 23.2%
Tim English (WB) - 21.9%
Matthew Leuenberger (Ess) - 21.7%
Tom Boyd (WB) - 20.1%
Lachlan Keeffe (GWS) - 16.7%
Matthew Lobbe (Carl) - 16.7%

The takeaways from this little exercise:
  • Hitouts to Advantage is one of the most useless stats collected by Champion Data.
  • Anyone thinking that Lycett is the answer to the ruck problems at Adelaide or Port is probably kidding themselves.
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-p...0vu9P5tF5bC1FxJUxuJWsqI6cGFsIR7AAkr9ObowIT1EA

"lumbering dinosaucerous" --- I see what you did there. Clever. :)
He looks cooked and his rucking doesn't help. However, I don't think that anybody could say that he doesn't try, or lacks effort. I'd like to see him 'do, or do not' ie ruck better and lift his possessions around the ground (do), or retire (do not).
There is no "try" ;).
Sorry , that is a bit unfair .

He is so tried out that there is literally no effort that can be feigned ... no shake in bottle .

I like Jacobs and he was very good ruckman plus appears overwhelmingly to be a ripping fella but through stubborn will and the club through absolutely no will have tapped him out maybe a year or 2 early .

There was no reason over the last 2-3 seasons he could not have played 16-18 games per year , allowing others to shoulder the load , keep him fresh and have him peak for finals instead of run him into the ground and be pekid and in denial .

It is sad to watch , but something we get used to at the Crows . VB , Thommo , Mookay , Jacobs , next year it will be Tex if he can not get his body right .

I am happy for Jacobs to have another year but he has to earn his spot and is an alternate , not walk up start , can't walk no more .

Last edited:
Hitouts to Advantage is one of the most useless stats collected by Champion Data.
Many thanks for the stats. :thumbsu::thumbsu:, which I found very interesting, far from useless.
The highest at 39.6% is surprising. Seems low, but Sauce at 28.6% is very low, imo.
Is there any explanation as to what "to Advantage" means? ie directly to a mid or in such a position that a teammate takes possession?
Why do you think it's so useless?

Centre clearances appear to be overrated. I saw on Talking Footy last night that Melb. is ranked #1, but have yet to beat a team in the top 8 (maybe from a PA-2017-like draw?). They might not even make the 8.
By extreme contrast, Geelong with JFlopwood, Ablett and Diverfield are ranked #17!
Makes no sense to me. :huh:

There was no reason over the last 2-3 seasons he could not have played 16-18 games per year , allowing others to shoulder the load , keep him fresh and have him peak for finals instead of run him into the ground and be pekid and in denial .
This!! (even if I don't know what "pekid" means ;))

Many thanks for the stats. :thumbsu::thumbsu:, which I found very interesting, far from useless.
The highest at 39.6% is surprising. Seems low, but Sauce at 28.6% is very low, imo.
Is there any explanation as to what "to Advantage" means? ie directly to a mid or in such a position that a teammate takes possession?

Centre clearances appear to be overrated. I saw on Talking Footy last night that Melb. is ranked #1, but have yet to beat a team in the top 8 (maybe from a PA-2017-like draw?). They might not even make the 8.
By extreme contrast, Geelong with JFlopwood, Ablett and Diverfield are ranked #17!
I think it's useless, because there are a lot of very mediocre ruckmen near the top of the list. Gawn & NicNat are the two most influencial ruckmen in the game today, and they're only 6th & 20th on the list. NicNat is only one position higher than Jacobs.

What matters is the ability of the ruckman to direct the ball to his teammates, and his teammates to make good use of that delivery. Given that even the best ruckmen still lose or draw more than 60% of all ruck contests, it appears that the ability of the teammates to win & distribute the ball is far more significant.

Sauce does however clearly lead the competition in hit-outs to the oppositions advantage ... they just yell Sauce and he squirts it to em .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back