Society & Culture GD History Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Been watching a fair bit on 9/11 lately. Basically, most significant historical events interest me.

Great idea for a thread itself BLU.

Remembering back to high school days, I would have picked History (after Italian) as my most disliked subject. As usual it's a case of school sucking out all the fun of it, nor could you actually choose which historical era/events to study.

These days I actually quite like watching the odd documentary, film, reading articles, autobiographies- anything really that can be related to the topic of "History".

From the dinosaurs, ice age, stone age- whatever age, Egyptians, the Roman Empire, fast fwd to the Industrial Revolution, black plague, WWI, the depression, WWII to 9/11.

What areas of History interest you? Discuss.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the history of the GD board, such as the infamous pacemaker affair.

I like watching documentaries about the black death or the Spanish flu right now. Some of the similarities in our response to pandemics are eye-opening. For example there were anti maskers for the Spanish Flu, politicians who downplayed it, etc.

A unique little series I recommend is "Back in Time for Dinner"- screened on the ABC a year or so ago- documenting where a family "goes back in time" from the 1900's onwards. They basically live, breathe and eat the decade they are in for that particular episode.

There's other shows ive seen in the past as well that are similar- I remember a man and a woman going back even further, like Shakespeare type era and eating the food?? Was quite funny.

Seriously though, I love History, in particular Russian history. I started History at university but it was all Australian history which I'm not that interested in, not enough to do a degree in anyway so I switched to Literature. Literature actually involves a lot of history, looking at the societal circumstances of a text.

A unique little series I recommend is "Back in Time for Dinner"- screened on the ABC a year or so ago- documenting where a family "goes back in time" from the 1900's onwards. They basically live, breathe and eat the decade they are in for that particular episode.

There's other shows ive seen in the past as well that are similar- I remember a man and a woman going back even further, like Shakespeare type era and eating the food?? Was quite funny.
That was Sue Perkins and Giles Coren but I can't remember what it was called.

Seriously though, I love History, in particular Russian history. I started History at university but it was all Australian history which I'm not that interested in, not enough to do a degree in anyway so I switched to Literature. Literature actually involves a lot of history, looking at the societal circumstances of a text.

I know very little about Russia- except its bleak, but it may not be as bleak in Spring time.

If you know of any good websites, pls link me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History is History. :shrug:

Croweater has definitely etched himself in the history of Big Footy..

/dunno who this pacemaker was tho

Pacemaker was a poster who was annoying as hell. One night someone discovered his rl identity and posters on here spent an infamous night stalking his Facebook profile. This was about 2010 I think.

Disclaimer: I was not involved in this stalking and don't condone it.

Terrible at democracy imo the Russians. They seem to love a good dictator for some reason.

They aint got nothing on Hitler tho.

Srsly- one documentary I highly recommend is one I saw over the weekend- It'd be on SBS Demand- Cheating Hitler. Absolutely amazing film where they trace the stories of three Holocaust survivors. I dont usually cry during shows like these- like I'd have the odd tear/my eyes water up for sure, but by the end of this one I was sobbing like my own grandma just died. It was incredible- please watch if you have just a passing interest in WWII.

No idea why but I’m really interested in the Tudor period onwards. Like all the way from Henry VIII to Queen Victoria.

Would that have been back when they were still burning "witches" at the stake and dishing out very cruel and unusual punishments???* Or am I way off..

*love that kind of freaky s**t- there's a dungeon part of Madame Tussauds in London, dedicated to recreating things like The Rack, etc.

I have a really strong interest in classical and early modern history, particularly Republican Rome and the Napoleonic period in Europe

The only history I really didn't like at school was the twentieth century stuff - I think because part of what appeals to me about history is the romance, and late modern stuff is too close to home to romanticise

They aint got nothing on Hitler tho.

Srsly- one documentary I highly recommend is one I saw over the weekend- It'd be on SBS Demand- Cheating Hitler. Absolutely amazing film where they trace the stories of three Holocaust survivors. I dont usually cry during shows like these- like I'd have the odd tear/my eyes water up for sure, but by the end of this one I was sobbing like my own grandma just died. It was incredible- please watch if you have just a passing interest in WWII.
The Germans have learned a few things from their little experiment in democracy, the Russians just seem to keep repeating the same mistakes.

Would that have been back when they were still burning "witches" at the stake and dishing out very cruel and unusual punishments???* Or am I way off..

*love that kind of freaky sh*t- there's a dungeon part of Madame Tussauds in London, dedicated to recreating things like The Rack, etc.
There was definitely torture, public hangings, people being 'hung drawn and quartered' etc. Anne Boleyn had her head lopped off because Henry VIII wanted to marry someone else. She didn't "give him a son" so some horrific rumours were started about her rooting around (including having incest with her brother) so that he could convict her of treason. Also a LOT of Catholic vs Protestant fighting and monarch religion changed from Catholic to Protestant to Catholic etc which resulted in heaps of deaths.

Im assuming you mean more modern/recent history, but I'd be interested to know how the whole "concept" of sport was invented in the first place.

I feel like it’s probably something to keep (traditionally) guys in shape when there’s no wars or battles on.

Even now many of us sit on our arse for a living, we’re not designed to live like that. I think idleness is a path to mental and physical illness, sport and exercise is just as important for mental health as it is for physical (IMO)

I do quite like the history of the suburbs I've lived in.

How each street name came to be.

Who are each suburb's "royal families" and how many of their descendants live in that suburb?
Sturt play in the light and dark blue of Oxbridge Universities because Unley Oval lies at the intersection of Oxford and Cambridge terraces. A lot of the streets around there are named after the posh public schools in England like Eton and Harrow that supply those universities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back