Society & Culture GD History Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like it’s probably something to keep (traditionally) guys in shape when there’s no wars or battles on.

Even now many of us sit on our arse for a living, we’re not designed to live like that. I think idleness is a path to mental and physical illness, sport and exercise is just as important for mental health as it is for physical (IMO)
Wasnt the initial purpose of Aussie rules to give the cricketers something to do during the off season??

Obviously war bad, Nazis bad etc. but the efficiency at which things got done is mind boggling compared to today.

We're getting new submarines that take 20 years and everyone knows about it. Adolf would've had a dozen U-boats knocked up in a back shed by now.

Obviously war bad, Nazis bad etc. but the efficiency at which things got done is mind boggling compared to today.

We're getting new submarines that take 20 years and everyone knows about it. Adolf would've had a dozen U-boats knocked up in a back shed by now.
And you wouldn't announce it so the Chinese had 20 years to figure out how to make them useless

iu

Great idea for a thread itself BLU.

Remembering back to high school days, I would have picked History (after Italian) as my most disliked subject. As usual it's a case of school sucking out all the fun of it, nor could you actually choose which historical era/events to study.

These days I actually quite like watching the odd documentary, film, reading articles, autobiographies- anything really that can be related to the topic of "History".

From the dinosaurs, ice age, stone age- whatever age, Egyptians, the Roman Empire, fast fwd to the Industrial Revolution, black plague, WWI, the depression, WWII to 9/11.

What areas of History interest you? Discuss.

Thanks Shell. When i was younger i probably wasn't that big on History either.

A lot of what you mentioned interests me as well. Also watched a fair bit of the Spanish Plague (before covid was a thing), the great fires of London, significant natural disasters (volcanic eruptions, hurricane Katrina, earthquakes etc) and many others. I discovered recently that the Australian Aborigines have been found to have been the first peoples to inhabit South America.

They aint got nothing on Hitler tho.

Srsly- one documentary I highly recommend is one I saw over the weekend- It'd be on SBS Demand- Cheating Hitler. Absolutely amazing film where they trace the stories of three Holocaust survivors. I dont usually cry during shows like these- like I'd have the odd tear/my eyes water up for sure, but by the end of this one I was sobbing like my own grandma just died. It was incredible- please watch if you have just a passing interest in WWII.

This sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:
The history of our planet and all of the changes it has been through is also pretty interesting.

Just shows how a remarkable chain of events have occurred over billions of years that has enabled our existence today.
Im not religious but for seeing things that changed the course of history,because people believed ,even though they all believe their own version
you go to
Bethlehem and Holy Sepulchre and the Temple mount
and the Dome on the Rock ..... The Foundation Stone or Noble Rock the temple was built over bears great significance in the Abrahamic religions as the place where God created the world and the first human, Adam

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea why but I’m really interested in the Tudor period onwards. Like all the way from Henry VIII to Queen Victoria.

i enjoyed studying it in year 10 history and im listening to a book on Henry VIII at the moment

I like watching documentaries about the black death or the Spanish flu right now. Some of the similarities in our response to pandemics are eye-opening. For example there were anti maskers for the Spanish Flu, politicians who downplayed it, etc.
I've been looking at a bit of pandemic history too. Every century, there has been major outbreak, and one that I read up on was the 19th century cholera pandemic. It was the outbreak in London whichever to the development of modern sanitation and sewerage systems. Up until then, cholera was widely considered to be caused by miasma (bad air) which was rife as the Thames piled with sewerage. However, a physician by the name of John Snow made the connection that it was contaminated water, and then shut off the water pump in Soho where most of the cases occurred causing the cases to drop. This was the discovery of the germ theory with the spread of disease.

Ygritte may have thought John Snow knew nothing but he did know that bacteria spread certain illnesses, and not "foul air".

I've been looking at a bit of pandemic history too. Every century, there has been major outbreak, and one that I read up on was the 19th century cholera pandemic. It was the outbreak in London whichever to the development of modern sanitation and sewerage systems. Up until then, cholera was widely considered to be caused by miasma (bad air) which was rife as the Thames piled with sewerage. However, a physician by the name of John Snow made the connection that it was contaminated water, and then shut off the water pump in Soho where most of the cases occurred causing the cases to drop. This was the discovery of the germ theory with the spread of disease.

Ygritte may have thought John Snow knew nothing but he did know that bacteria spread certain illnesses, and not "foul air".
Yeh learned this in Yr9 History (when i was an aide- not an actual student) watched a very interesting doco on how they came up and constructed the sewerage system.

It didnt occur until the good politicians of Parliament could not take the smell anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back