Geelong for the flag in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Correction there's more chance of Davey Warner playing international cricket (and regaining the VC role) than there is of Geelong winning the 2018-2019-2020-2050 premierships :)

GAME, SET & MATCH

Xtreme
You don't get a second chance..and whatever way you cut it there is always a probability that a side will win the flag any given year. Even Hawthorn could win in 2018 so take the the odds and see how you go.

There will be some stiff competition per usual. They’ll have to contend with GWS and their natural improvement and motivation post 2 PF losses, the obvious strength of Sydney, and Richmond pushing to go back to back. Who knows how Port will go. Adelaide will also have credentials to go deep yet I am sceptical about them away from Adelaide.

I am tipping those 6 teams will be where the premier comes from. So in short re Geelong, plenty will have to click and Scott needs to make smarter decisions in finals, like not dropping Menzel for Zac Guthrie. Ablett is the X factor. Any side boasting Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan and Ablett is oretty potent.

Can they win it? Yes, if they use those 4 effectively. The biggest inhibitor will be Scott making a dumb call come a final I’d say. If Geelong finish top 4, I’ll give them a chance considering who they have.
as always* it comes down to securing a top four berth, and hoping for the stars to align re opponent, venue and injuries etc.
still unexplained the selection of guthrie jnr.
there's also a couple sides beyond the six you named..

*footscray 16

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have a pretty good side. But wait for injuries. That will dictate where the Cats end up.
Yea depth isn't great. Small forwards is the issue. If two of Cockatoo, McCarthy and Gregson could be fit and in form most of if not all year could be a threat but looking at their history you'd have to say that's unlikely. Three of the most injury prone players in the comp.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Yea depth isn't great. Small forwards is the issue. If two of Cockatoo, McCarthy and Gregson could be fit and in form most of if not all year could be a threat but looking at their history you'd have to say that's unlikely. Three of the most injury prone players in the comp.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk
If you play Dangerfield / Ablett, Menzel and Hawkins down there then that’s pretty decent. Parfitt is a good footballer. If you somehow managed to get Crameri fit I reckon he would be a great acquisition.

Last night set up our season nicely, and I expect us to be 10 and 2 after 12 rounds.

Where are all the flogs that said we have no quality youth coming through?

Really? You're going to be that guy?
Wasn't there a Geelong fan back in 2016 who predicted at about this time of the year that Geelong wouldn't lose again for that season.
My goodness, even if you are right it's a guess at best that doesn't reflect the evenness of the competition.

Can you remember his name??

Thurlow -> Henderson
Parsons -> Cockatoo
Murdoch -> Hawkins
Henry -> Ablett
Z.Guthrie -> S.Selwood

And we're a lot better team. The young guys have done well but those five are obvious weak links that if we can avoid playing in finals will have us a lot stronger as a team overall. We should be there abouts come finals but a lot of how we preform then comes down to injuries and our squad is more injury prone then most at the minute. If Menzel tires, Ablett has continual hamstring issues and neither Harry Taylor or Henderson get up then we're looking at straight sets. But if things align we could be right in the mix for a premiership.

It's all coming together now.

Smith, Menzel, McCarthy, Henderson and Cockatoo still to come into the side as well.

I can't believe there's actually discussion about us potentially missing the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back