Preview Geelong V Brisbane Prelim Final Sat Oct 17 7 40 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half right, their second goal was, their first he wasn't involved at all.

Incorrect, sorry. He missed the easy target inside 50 which led to Parfitt's deliberate call. Ball went down the other end and Pies scored a goal. Should've been an easy set shot for Parfitt, instead Menegola cost us a 12pt turn around.

What should be our 1st qtr strategy?

Take the sting out of the crowd and get the uncontested marks going? Keepings off style..

Hit them hard in the first 10 mins and make a statement after their week off?

Combo of both?

Same approach as Ali vs George Foreman - Rumble In The Jungle

Set the defence up nice and early - let the Lions throw the wild haymakers from the opening bounce

Tire them out - and just like the earlier game at the SCG ( 3rd qtr ) or like Ali in Round 8 - sit the highly fancied opponent on its aarse

I wouldn’t be against being the “unsociable cats” here, the Lions are young and inexperienced in finals, not saying we’ve exactly set the bar in finals in recent times but we have so many players with an abundance of experience. Hit them, but hit them fair, must get the game on our terms. Need them to be hearing footsteps whenever they have the ball.

I really enjoyed watching those highlights until moloney played on and it all went sour. It was too close to home!!!! All the commentary was geelong over possessing the ball and only needing to muck one up to come completely unstuck. Please let us win the ball in the middle and it hopefullt won;t be an issue

Tough call on Moloney...followed by two Aker throws and then a goal. The earlier free against Mooney was dicey too. That’s my one-eyed view. Still hurts

Tough call on Moloney...followed by two Aker throws and then a goal. The earlier free against Mooney was dicey too. That’s my one-eyed view. Still hurts
The free against Mooney was there and was dumb by him. Based on the limited highlights he wasn't much use in defence :$

Tuggers tried it and they laughed it off. I wouldn’t try it vs brisbane.

What i would do is try it against richmond if we meet them again. I reckon they are a bunch of faux tough guys who couldn’t handle what they dish out. I can see them sooking and getting all narky if they copped it right back. Brisbane took everything they threw at them and they lost the plot. They are pissweak unless they are on top.

Definitely agree with this. Would love to see Tommy Stewart crunch Lynch.

I felt one of the key adjustments we made on Saturday night was handball receives in D50 to running defenders or mids like Duncan. We were static against Port, simply kicking down the line over the mark giving Port the time to get numbers set up ahead of the kick. The defender nearest the Geelong player with the ball must instinctively feel free to peel off and receive the ball streaming into F50. Particularly on the Gabba which is relatively short, so any running kick goes deep into our F50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect, sorry. He missed the easy target inside 50 which led to Parfitt's deliberate call. Ball went down the other end and Pies scored a goal. Should've been an easy set shot for Parfitt, instead Menegola cost us a 12pt turn around.

That’s true. I’ve seen him play worse in finals though. At least he got more of the ball this time.

It’s not just finals but big pressure games generally that his skills seem to deteriorate. He needs to do better and I’m sure he knows that.

Last edited:
But....he actually umpired fairly well I thought? His bouncing notwithstanding of course.

....nah this is great news.
My most unpopular opinion is he’s actually a pretty good umpire. But the bouncing thing is a big problem for him.

My most unpopular opinion is he’s actually a pretty good umpire. But the bouncing thing is a big problem for him.

Yeah I hang s**t on "The Razor Ray Show" aspect of his umpiring, and his home an away game Geelong vs Collingwood was abysmal, but on the whole he's alright.

Him being out means we miss out on Brian Taylor and Co making Chamberlain a part of the game, which I'm glad to avoid.

Not sure why they persist with the bounce. Maybe to start each quarter if they want the traditional aspect - otherwise just throw it up

Last edited:
Proud of the team, they were under a fair bit of pressure and more than delivered against the Pies.

This prelim is a massive chance for this playing list to enhance their reputations, from those on the brink of greatness like Dangerfield who need a fairly complete finals series before they truly belong among the greats, to the lesser lights who started to repair their fragile finals reputations and can become known as more than just good home & away contributors.

Let’s hope we’re gushing about their performances after victorious prelim on Saturday night.

Changes from last time we met:

Cats
IN: Stanley, Stewart, Henderson.
OUT: Ratugolea, Fort, Narkle.

Lions
IN: Coleman
OUT: T.Berry

Also worth mentioning we lost Duncan and Narkle before 1/4 time in that game.
Two more defenders for one mid and one forward. Hope that works.

I wouldn’t be against being the “unsociable cats” here, the Lions are young and inexperienced in finals, not saying we’ve exactly set the bar in finals in recent times but we have so many players with an abundance of experience. Hit them, but hit them fair, must get the game on our terms. Need them to be hearing footsteps whenever they have the ball.
It's 2020, you have to be so careful with physicality.

We got it pretty much right against StKilda and Essendon - used our bigger bodies to really belt them around the clearances, and the game followed from there.

Its a good point that - and i keep looking ahead to Richmond - and thinking how will he go against that attacking/rebound defence

Maybe give Ablett - say 10% in the middle - because his best game ( especially 1st half ) by a mile since returning to Geel is the game against NM at KP - and he did have a few short stints on the ball that day

You look at Ablett and Simpson ( and again at looking at beating Richmond ) - Shaun Higgins of NM ( who apparently the Cats are interested in ) he would be so handy for Geel in the next weeks on a hff - pity - one year out
I think putting Ablett in the middle at the start of a quarter for a couple of centre bounces would be a good way to get him into the game. When he is forward his team mates need to deliver the ball out in front of him rather than in the air. His ball handling is still superior and his disposal is elite. Quaynor did a good job tagging him the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back