Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Monday 22 April @ MCG 3:20 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are acting like we got done by 6 goals against Norf last week.
4 points against a really good team and we're on the top of the ladder.
It was our experienced players who let us down last week anyway.
Guthrie straight back in for a younger player. And will stay in no matter what
It's a poor message.

Straight back in... after a week in the VFL . I think thats reasonable especially if they read one of the younger players need to be managed. I didnt see anyone else in the VFL doing a heap to be selected in front of him... the names as emg. were about it (depending on roles of course)
If he plays poorly then by all means we can discuss it but with the players available.. I dont see anyone saying why not me... who would you have selected before him?

He's a better player than many, actually most players in our team when at his best.
How often does he bring it? and what intensity will he bring?
It's not crazy that many are doubters.
His lack of intensity and half arsed efforts have been the knock on him by most of his detractors.
His supporters never address this.
Biggest faux pas in footy is not having a dip. Biggest faux pas on Bigfooty is mashing the button on fellow posters.
Starting to see a correlation

Straight back in... after a week in the VFL . I think thats reasonable especially if they read one of the younger players need to be managed. I didnt see anyone else in the VFL doing a heap to be selected in front of him... the names as emg. were about it (depending on roles of course)
If he plays poorly then by all means we can discuss it but with the players available.. I dont see anyone saying why not me... who would you have selected before him?
It's a no-brainer, literally, and it makes you wonder about some....

To be fair, you could probably come up with a team of maligned Cats players based on BF postings over recent years;

Thurlow. Zac Guthrie, ————
———-, Henderson, Varcoe
Murdoch, Guthrie, Parsons
Menzel, Mitch Brown, Rohan
Stanley, Clarke, Vardy
Smith, Scott Selwood, GHS

Team needs more David Mensch and Austin McCrabb

Good point! If Cunico didn't get injured I would've said him. But he did.
If Constable genuinely needs a rest and Guthrie was the best mid in the VFL last week your right.
The test to see if we've improved is if he does start playing poorly does he stay in.

We will win by 5+ goals in spite of Guthrie’s inclusion.
Good thing about you- well, one of the many- is you will actually admit it IF Guthrie plays well and contributes. And this is a real possibility. He knows there is a RS nomination waiting to get back in.

Wonder away....ive been more than happy with the make-up of the side and the performances of the young blokes and the team in general to date.
At no stage have i thought,geez we could of done with Cam Guthrie today. Rather that the younger guys are continued too be selected instead.
We have seen a change in personell and method this season and its been refreshing.

Wonder away....ive been more than happy with the make-up of the side and the performances of the young blokes and the team in general to date.
At no stage have i thought,geez we could of done with Cam Guthrie today. Rather that the younger guys are continued too be selected instead.
We have seen a change in personell and method this season and its been refreshing.
What was refreshing about last Saturday?
Not disagreeing with you, but Guthrie would have been a selection Week 1 if fit, and more than likely been part of those 3 wins.

Mate we all have blind spots... I used to get in this discussion with a mate after games ( after a few ambers) about Morgan ... we could never see eye to eye on him.

CG comes in.. and then its up to the MC to stay crystal with expectations and requirements. I was not enamoured with his game in the VFL , I wasnt with any mids to be honest but he played as requested apparently. I hope he can go out and find some of that form from a couple of years ago or he may well be looking at different jumpers in the next year or so. We are pushing so young players and we need the right mid 20's type to help them thru. CG is the right age , and experience to be part of the next group but the time for the flughty fluff ups are done .. he is now an experience player and should play like one.

What was refreshing about last Saturday?
Not disagreeing with you, but Guthrie would have been a selection Week 1 if fit, and more than likely been part of those 3 wins.
Guthrie being out has given us a look at Constable,Clark,Miers and Atkins.
There performances so far and the continual selection of them has been a big tick and 1 of the highlights of the season too date.
I see Guthrie missing as a positive,you see it as a negative.
Fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His lack of intensity and half arsed efforts have been the knock on him by most of his detractors.
His supporters never address this.
Biggest faux pas in footy is not having a dip. Biggest faux pas on Bigfooty is mashing the button on fellow posters.
Starting to see a correlation
Who's mashing?

Constable needs a rest. Happy for Guthrie to come in. He should be under no illusion that standards are different this season. That the days of coasting are over. Let’s see whether the penny has dropped.

Exactly .. clean slate .. now do it. Id say he will get some leniency nothing will be judged on one game .. the test will be once other start to come back I guess.

Mate we all have blind spots... I used to get in this discussion with a mate after games ( after a few ambers) about Morgan ... we could never see eye to eye on him.

CG comes in.. and then its up to the MC to stay crystal with expectations and requirements. I was not enamoured with his game in the VFL , I wasnt with any mids to be honest but he played as requested apparently. I hope he can go out and find some of that form from a couple of years ago or he may well be looking at different jumpers in the next year or so. We are pushing so young players and we need the right mid 20's type to help them thru. CG is the right age , and experience to be part of the next group but the time for the flughty fluff ups are done .. he is now an experience player and should play like one.
Mad Dog.
Yes, a real polariser.

Many times it's not purely the VFL performance that gets them in- the culmination of effort at training, attitude, the game and the need of that week. Saying that, he was reasonable though wasn't he?
'I note Parsons was named BOG by some, but you said you needed to see more.

Guthrie being out has given us a look at Constable,Clark,Miers and Atkins.
There performances so far and the continual selection of them has been a big tick and 1 of the highlights of the season too date.
I see Guthrie missing as a positive,you see it as a negative.
Fair enough.
Not a negative, I see it as great that we have that depth, but also that it's now a good time in every way for his return.

Thurlow. Zac Guthrie, Bews
Guthrie, Henderson, Hunt
Motlop, Parsons, Varcoe
Stanley, Clarke, Vardy
I/c Murdoch, Kersten
Ya can't forget the 'Hawkins becoming irrevelant' thread. The single worst most stupid thing I've ever seen on this site.

Based on last year's form, he should be forced to earn his spot back through the VFL. He does not deliver enough at this point in his career to be an automatic inclusion. It's not about whether he's good enough to be best 22 currently or not; it's a matter of setting standards. Making Guthrie earn his spot back sets the standard that there are no automatic inclusions, and that the caliber of performance he produced last year, for his age and experience, was no sufficient to stay in the team. If that upsets him and his brother, so be it. They can go elsewhere - maybe to Port with Motlop, where Hinkley will do what Scott refuses to.

Good post ..and well expressed opinion..

Just remove the bottom half. Guthrie will be nothing but a liability against Hawthorn. If he is included, it sends the worst possible message to the young players and shows that nothing has changed at all.

Glad you’re not our coach - condemning future performance on past out put is BS
Guthrie has apparently worked hard and played well in the 2’s - that’s exactly the sort of message and reward that resonates well.
He hasn’t played an afl game yet in 2019 so how about we give the kid a chance and see how he plays - he might have actually worked on his weaknesses and progressed
Every player in the hoops deserves our support - you obviously get off by putting s**t on Guthrie - says a lot about you unfortunately:(

You're kidding right? Maybe we should drop Dangerfield this week in case he has a stinker?

For a guy who at one stage did promise a lot he's been a plodder for a couple of years now. He should rightfully be overlooked if enough younger players show the heart, skill and enthusiasm he so often doesn't. And we wont be any worse off it happening, as shown in the first rounds of this season. You cant add Scott Selwood in the same category.

Thurlow. Zac Guthrie, Bews
Guthrie, Henderson, Hunt
Motlop, Parsons, Varcoe
Stanley, Clarke, Vardy
I/c Murdoch, Kersten

Excellent work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll bitch about who I want to bitch about anywhere I want, thanks.

I'm discussing where Guthrie should be played. It's relevant discussion.

Well they unlike some think he’s best 22. Zach T. almost lost his footing when Guthrie was talked of this week’s podcast. In that last game against the hawks last year he was very good but also pivotal in the last play which we stuffed up.

Now the question is why does the club think so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guthrie has apparently worked hard and played well in the 2’s - that’s exactly the sort of message and reward that resonates well.
He hasn’t played an afl game yet in 2019 so how about we give the kid a chance and see how he plays - he might have actually worked on his weaknesses and progressed
Every player in the hoops deserves our support - you obviously get off by putting s**t on Guthrie - says a lot about you unfortunately:(
Kid! serious.Turns 27 this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back