GF Distraction Thread - 2017 Exit interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take Cameron Guthrie thanks dazbroncos.

Ripper thread idea, Pity nobody can take it seriously.

Yeah well... I figured it would go like this but you have to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Most ironic part is all the posters dumping s**t on players thru the year get a chance to make a valid point and how to fix it....

and nothing...

Oh well -it was worth a try.

Go Catters

Yeah well... I figured it would go like this but you have to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Most ironic part is all the posters dumping s**t on players thru the year get a chance to make a valid point and how to fix it....

and nothing...

Go Catters
Some players you can't fix.

I'll take Cameron Guthrie thanks dazbroncos.

Ripper thread idea, Pity nobody can take it seriously.
latest

We'd welcome suggestions as to how to fix Cowan

He's hurt. So apart from the obvious legectomy, what about the way he played?

Was he too aggressive at the ball? Did he lose his feet in the contest too often? Seem to remember that being a knock when he was playing. So perhaps some better core strength work and balance training.

Of course, he will be delisted so its all academic at this point but you get the idea - or at least that's how I intended it to go.

GO Catters

The giggles are great - and there's been some really funny s**t - all good there - but then also pick a player you've egged and show how it could have been uneggable.

GO Catters

Come in Paddy, take a seat.

No; that's my seat, you sit over there, please.

Paddy; thanks for stopping by, hope the family is well.
And thank you for your efforts in the way you prepared and played throughout 2017.

Just quietly you're a pretty sure bet for a 2nd consecutive B&F this year, and congrats again on the AA selection.

Sorry mate, could you please get off the phone to your manager for just a couple of minutes while we knock this exit interview out?
Shouldn't take long. Oh it was Swisse was it? Sorry; yeah, nah, this won't take a sec.

I liked the way you made adjustments to your game this year Pat, we spoke pre-season about trying to bring your teammates into the game more with handball, and going by the stats you certainly did that; most handballs in a season for your career, thank you for sticking to the plan. 45 goals in a season also your best effort by a street; you'll get a chance to top that in 2018 I reckon.
Your contested marking was great, very strong in the air; no complaints there.

But Paddy, there's a few things I want you to think about and get ready to work on over pre-season.

Firstly, I worry that your general focus isn't what it should be - I understand that some players like to muck about and relax and keep a balance in their lives between footy and everything else - but the media stuff, the friendly skylarking on the field; fair enough, you've tried that approach and you do have a number of individual awards to show for that approach - but I wonder if you mightn't consider scaling it back next year and adopting a more adversarial demeanour on the field - it's great that you're popular with blokes around the comp, but it's a football competition Pat, not a popularity comp.

Second; you're far too good a player to be flopping about trying to draw free kicks; with your excellent recovery and 2nd, 3rd efforts you should *never* be out of a contest - appealing to the umps for a hopeful free kick only takes your focus away from winning those 2nd and 3rd efforts - don't expect favours from the umpires mate; you worry about winning the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

Last but most importantly Patrick Dangerfield, I want you to put more work into your kicking over summer than you ever have.
We both know you have as much power off either foot as anyone in the comp. But that in and of itself doesn't mean much if you can't hit a target. It's time to tinker with your technique. You don't always need to kick the bladder out of it. Work on the goalkicking while you're at it; you're quick enough to be able to snap some of those goals from the boundary, not sure why you think that a drop punt is the percentage play ... and the set shots from straight in front, 30-40 out; we need you to kick those every time.

You're a superb player Paddy, one of the best in the comp, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway Pat, enjoy the break, get the body right, see you at back at training ... yes, you can take a lollipop from the jar.

and nothing...

FINE THEN.

Rhys Stanley.

For:
Stanley's physical attributes are a huge asset, even for an elite athlete. He's physically strong, covers the ground reasonably well and is fairly fast off the mark for a tall player (cue GF sprint references). If he can manufacture a mismatch up forward, he's also capable of jagging a few goals.

Against:
Hoo boy. I know that Stanley cops a whipping here with all sorts of effort-related accusations. I think that such analysis is usually a bit simplistic and facile (and reflective of the fact that was essentially swapped for Bundy), so I'll try and dig a little deeper.

Stanley has three major issues that are holding him back here at the Geelong Football Club:
- Zac Smith,
- The new third-man-up rule, and
- His less-than-elite one-grab marking and set-shot conversion.

Dig a bit deeper...
Rhys Stanley seems to be, in some ways, a ruckman trapped in a CHF's body. Being lighter than most ruckmen, he can be dominated in the ruck by larger men - Sandilands, Braydon Preuss, Jarrod Witts and Sean Darcy all gave him an absolute bath this year. Back in 2015, this didn't matter so much when, around the ground, he could get the chop-out from Blicavs, but in 2017 it has left him horribly exposed at times.

However, he's also not really a CHF. He seems to get somewhat lost up forward at times, and in terms of finding the ball, seems to do a lot better playing a kick behind the footy in that traditional ruckman role. The problem is that as long as Zac Smith is also at the club, he's not going to play the majority of the game in that role.

Stanley should have been the club's second tall forward, keeping Harry Taylor firmly in the backline. Instead, Zac Smith wasn't available for the first two weeks of the year and Stanley was flogged in the ruck for two weeks running. As a result, he was dropped to the VFL and couldn't get back till mid-year. At 26, he should be a first-choice selection for the club and just hasn't found a role that suits.

Stanley did return to the lineup for the last two finals and at least finished the year better than he started it. However, the club will most likely look to Buzza as the second key forward across next year, and so he's most likely in the box labelled In Case of Emergency (or, in other words, when Zac Smith can't play).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhys: are you ready for me yet fellas?
Club : who the f*** are you?
Rhys: you might remember me from my Grand Final Sprints
Club: you don't look anything like Mark Blicavs
Rhys: No, he's the other bloke you drafted for his running skills
Club: Get out!

Last edited:
Now I feel bad. Ok: Wylie Buzza.

The Good:
1. The enthusiasm: drips good will for fellow players and the game, and helps the team to stay positive.
2. The improvement: who thought he'd be getting games in his second year? Skills, fitness, and game awareness all seem to have improved dramatically
3. The physicality: more than is usual for young players, has a sense of where his body is in space and in contests, using his athleticism and bulk to impact
4. The kicking - a nice clean shot and a good hoof.
5. The tackling - size and zeal add pressure to our forward line. I especially like what I call the Buzza effect, wherein the opposition player just tackled by Wylie shows a strong preference for staying on the grass for another few seconds until the ball has cleared the area.

The Can Improve:
1. Endurance. Has come a hell of a long way; if he can make another jump up rather than just maintaining his current level over the next preseason, then he's going to be a better player - getting to more contests, staying in them longer, and being around for longer in each quarter. (Bleeding obvious.)
2. Goal kicking under pressure: we've been teased by good kickers in our forward line (Kersten, before that Brown), but if Wylie could become the player who can land them from fifty, then defending our forward line gets a whole lot harder. Every time no. 35 is practising (see above), phone Wylie and go to the park together.
3. I think it wouldn't hurt to use a middle initial. If you're going American-style Mr Wylie E. Coyote, go the whole hog.

The In My Dreams:
1. Stop the chat about us needing a tall forward by becoming undroppable.
2. Roost your first kick from 50 in each of our first three games next year, and force teams to defend an extra 15 metres from their goal square.
3. Open up the space for our forward line with your running and kicking so that Hawkins is no longer getting triple teamed.
4. Help us win games by so far that it becomes impossible to write the headline, "Cats on the Buzza."

Was he too aggressive at the ball? Did he lose his feet in the contest too often? Seem to remember that being a knock when he was playing. So perhaps some better core strength work and balance training.

Of course, he will be delisted so its all academic at this point but you get the idea - or at least that's how I intended it to go.

GO Catters
I rated him early on - can't knock his pace or attack on the ball & man. But continuity issues have cruelled any progress. 27 when the ball bounces next year, with less than 20 games up, iirc. Would love to think we could get a solid season into him... and see a lost player emerge. But Josh may be better off elsewhere - change has done Vardy no harm.

[Edit] Just checked... he's from the 2009 draft - Cowan, Duncan, Menzel, Vardy, Christensen and Laidler. With any luck, could have been a classic draft :(

Last edited:

GO Catters
I think it is simpler than that.. I've never seen anything at all to suggest he is good enough. Simple as that

Rhys Stanley.

Me: Rhys you have underperformed this season, as a matter of fact im thinking of trading you for a can of coke and a pack of home brand chips.

Rhys: i think thats unfair, im worth more than that

Me: Yep your right, make that a Scotch and a bag of doritos. Clean out your potato sack you big spud, your cooked!!!

Come in Paddy, take a seat.

No; that's my seat, you sit over there, please.

Paddy; thanks for stopping by, hope the family is well.
And thank you for your efforts in the way you prepared and played throughout 2017.

Just quietly you're a pretty sure bet for a 2nd consecutive B&F this year, and congrats again on the AA selection.

Sorry mate, could you please get off the phone to your manager for just a couple of minutes while we knock this exit interview out?
Shouldn't take long. Oh it was Swisse was it? Sorry; yeah, nah, this won't take a sec.

I liked the way you made adjustments to your game this year Pat, we spoke pre-season about trying to bring your teammates into the game more with handball, and going by the stats you certainly did that; most handballs in a season for your career, thank you for sticking to the plan. 45 goals in a season also your best effort by a street; you'll get a chance to top that in 2018 I reckon.
Your contested marking was great, very strong in the air; no complaints there.

But Paddy, there's a few things I want you to think about and get ready to work on over pre-season.

Firstly, I worry that your general focus isn't what it should be - I understand that some players like to muck about and relax and keep a balance in their lives between footy and everything else - but the media stuff, the friendly skylarking on the field; fair enough, you've tried that approach and you do have a number of individual awards to show for that approach - but I wonder if you mightn't consider scaling it back next year and adopting a more adversarial demeanour on the field - it's great that you're popular with blokes around the comp, but it's a football competition Pat, not a popularity comp.

Second; you're far too good a player to be flopping about trying to draw free kicks; with your excellent recovery and 2nd, 3rd efforts you should *never* be out of a contest - appealing to the umps for a hopeful free kick only takes your focus away from winning those 2nd and 3rd efforts - don't expect favours from the umpires mate; you worry about winning the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

Last but most importantly Patrick Dangerfield, I want you to put more work into your kicking over summer than you ever have.
We both know you have as much power off either foot as anyone in the comp. But that in and of itself doesn't mean much if you can't hit a target. It's time to tinker with your technique. You don't always need to kick the bladder out of it. Work on the goalkicking while you're at it; you're quick enough to be able to snap some of those goals from the boundary, not sure why you think that a drop punt is the percentage play ... and the set shots from straight in front, 30-40 out; we need you to kick those every time.

You're a superb player Paddy, one of the best in the comp, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway Pat, enjoy the break, get the body right, see you at back at training ... yes, you can take a lollipop from the jar.
Does this take place in two cars?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back