Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whilst we’ve done well with our picks - we haven’t had early single digit picks to access the best talent

The next Selwood / danger / Hawkins hasn’t been drafted in our list yet
I agree with your point. Danger was not single figures and was traded in.and as I cant see us getting an single figure picks..I think we may have to go that route again.

I think when people pick their best side in 2020 is dumb as always some pops up and plays in the best 22 for that year....so how can you pick one in 4 years lol
The same way list management teams do mate. They are planned years in advance, i can guarantee, they are aware of who is out of contract in 3-4 years time, and are matching that against what our prospective list gaps are. It wasn't a "heres my best 22 in 4 years time", it was a " with our current list, and planned retirements, even as status quo, our list is in a healthy place"

The same way list management teams do mate. They are planned years in advance, i can guarantee, they are aware of who is out of contract in 3-4 years time, and are matching that against what our prospective list gaps are. It wasn't a "heres my best 22 in 4 years time", it was a " with our current list, and planned retirements, even as status quo, our list is in a healthy place"
List management don't need to pick best sides to work out what they need

List management don't need to pick best sides to work out what they need
Re-read that statement, slowly, then say it back out aloud to yourself. If they aren't forecasting what their best sides are going to look like i'd be interested to know what magic formula they do use, magic 8 ball perhaps? "Alright magic 8 ball do we need to draft an inside mid this year?"....It is certain "well boys that's draft strategy done for this year"

As far as I know, that is only true for knee reconstructions because they take out some hamstring and fashion it into a new knee tendon. Otherwise not much correlation.

mate how do you think the knee bends just research it that's all I have for you. Simple anatomy. Hamstring and knee etc is all interlinked hamstring and knee pain is very common

I think if I was planning for the Cats with the next gen over the next 2-3 years. I would think we will need to get a premium balanced midfielder, definitely a ruck, a quality outside midfielder, and two bookends (key forward and key defender). I'm talking very good to elite type talent. Basically a large chunk of the spine.

I think if I was planning for the Cats with the next gen over the next 2-3 years. I would think we will need to get a premium balanced midfielder, definitely a ruck, a quality outside midfielder, and two bookends (key forward and key defender). I'm talking very good to elite type talent. Basically a large chunk of the spine.

So pretty much the same as every club would love to get on their list.
Would be common sense really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Planing for the future , thats an interesting thought... and to me its not just a type we need , its approach to acquiring talent.More than one particular role, what I feel we need is talent. Pure unadulterated, gobsmacking, jaw dropping talent. Now if we somehow have a choice big man talent is the hard talent to acquire.

Can we draft we need with the picks we will have?

One only has to look at previous drafts, the young talent that looks tantalising at other clubs, more often than not they were obviously talented juniors. Unless we luck out like we did last ear with Father Son, its going to be very difficult to assemeble enough talent to go all the way with purely draft. We will always find a way to be competitive. We are clever, we can scour other sports, other countries, FA availabilities and try to pick the eyes out of the draft with the picks we have..but the odds are stacked.

I guess my question for our approach from here. Can we find the talent we need in draft with out have a chance to access the obvious talent. Can we rely on other clubs constantly missing the talent?Basically being dumb.Not just one club but 8-10 clubs.?

It would be interesting to look at other clubs to see how they have done it recently. Has a real roll back to get that early talent worked? Im not convinced that it always works, only one club can win, most clubs will fail no matter what recruitment method they use.. but one can say the top ten each year is where the obvious talent is usually picked.

The draft from year to year varies in talent available. Then for us to have success with late R1 picks, it either must be a strong draft or other teams have missed the clues that SW has seen. It is still possible. Clark is the latest success for us. It would be hard not think he is equal to a Top10R1.

However, look at Gold Coast or Port or whoever then a lot of the kids id like would have been top10. If we had 2 or 3 of them I seem to think we might be able to cover the rest with cleverness. But the facts are we will not get picks that early. Even after the Kelly deal , the best pick we will have this year will probably come from a Gold Coast deal. Personally, just a guess, don't be surprised if we trade it out.

Can we deny the obvious? Most of the best kids are picked early.

It would be interesting to see a Big V U23 side named. or a AA under 21 etc. There is a fair chance the majority will be early R1 picks. It would be interesting to see a group of sides named for a Champs carnival for U23 or U25's comp. Combine the best of multiple carnivals all in one it would be a great concept for mine, once over 23 or 25 players probably need to save their bodies for the clubs who are paying the bills.

Anyway, I cant think of any side that has successfully rebuilt a group without a single figure draft pick. Add the advantages clubs are getting eg. Swans get the likes of Blakey and Dogs this year will get Ugle Haggan . So is its really mission impossible. Eventually we will fall, its just gravity.

OR

We beat the odds, can we find the guns we need from players that have all be over looked for whatever reason, supplemented with in system players. It probably depends to some degree on the role but you can find the players with later picks.

No easy obvious answer..for your requirements where did you see the players coming from?

What type of players would you say fit your requirements?

a premium balanced midfielder McLuggauge, Walsh, Anderson, Thomas ... it seems most of the ones I love to have were obvious as kids

definitely a ruck ? English ? ... Is this the role we should be able to access the best ruck talent , its rare its taken so early Jackson at 3 last year was very early.

a quality outside midfielder Again most seem to be earlier picks Id take Rankine and he has not played yet, Rozee ?

This seems possible but year dependant

two bookends key forward Marshall / Naughton / King

two bookends key defender Battle / Taylor

Planing for the future , thats an interesting thought... and to me its not just a type we need , its approach to acquiring talent.More than one particular role, what I feel we need is talent. Pure unadulterated, gobsmacking, jaw dropping talent. Now if we somehow have a choice big man talent is the hard talent to acquire.

Can we draft we need with the picks we will have?

One only has to look at previous drafts, the young talent that looks tantalising at other clubs, more often than not they were obviously talented juniors. Unless we luck out like we did last ear with Father Son, its going to be very difficult to assemeble enough talent to go all the way with purely draft. We will always find a way to be competitive. We are clever, we can scour other sports, other countries, FA availabilities and try to pick the eyes out of the draft with the picks we have..but the odds are stacked.

I guess my question for our approach from here. Can we find the talent we need in draft with out have a chance to access the obvious talent. Can we rely on other clubs constantly missing the talent?Basically being dumb.Not just one club but 8-10 clubs.?

It would be interesting to look at other clubs to see how they have done it recently. Has a real roll back to get that early talent worked? Im not convinced that it always works, only one club can win, most clubs will fail no matter what recruitment method they use.. but one can say the top ten each year is where the obvious talent is usually picked.

The draft from year to year varies in talent available. Then for us to have success with late R1 picks, it either must be a strong draft or other teams have missed the clues that SW has seen. It is still possible. Clark is the latest success for us. It would be hard not think he is equal to a Top10R1.

However, look at Gold Coast or Port or whoever then a lot of the kids id like would have been top10. If we had 2 or 3 of them I seem to think we might be able to cover the rest with cleverness. But the facts are we will not get picks that early. Even after the Kelly deal , the best pick we will have this year will probably come from a Gold Coast deal. Personally, just a guess, don't be surprised if we trade it out.

Can we deny the obvious? Most of the best kids are picked early.

It would be interesting to see a Big V U23 side named. or a AA under 21 etc. There is a fair chance the majority will be early R1 picks. It would be interesting to see a group of sides named for a Champs carnival for U23 or U25's comp. Combine the best of multiple carnivals all in one it would be a great concept for mine, once over 23 or 25 players probably need to save their bodies for the clubs who are paying the bills.

Anyway, I cant think of any side that has successfully rebuilt a group without a single figure draft pick. Add the advantages clubs are getting eg. Swans get the likes of Blakey and Dogs this year will get Ugle Haggan . So is its really mission impossible. Eventually we will fall, its just gravity.

OR

We beat the odds, can we find the guns we need from players that have all be over looked for whatever reason, supplemented with in system players. It probably depends to some degree on the role but you can find the players with later picks.

No easy obvious answer..for your requirements where did you see the players coming from?

What type of players would you say fit your requirements?

a premium balanced midfielder McLuggauge, Walsh, Anderson, Thomas ... it seems most of the ones I love to have were obvious as kids

definitely a ruck ? English ? ... Is this the role we should be able to access the best ruck talent , its rare its taken so early Jackson at 3 last year was very early.

a quality outside midfielder Again most seem to be earlier picks Id take Rankine and he has not played yet, Rozee ?

This seems possible but year dependant

two bookends key forward Marshall / Naughton / King

two bookends key defender Battle / Taylor
Yeah good summary.
We probably won't need two bookends at either end, I meant one at either end.
I think SavRat will make it, Kreuger should be good enough for the Third Tall Forward.
Blicavs can go for at least 6 more years as FB easily. I see Kolo as the Third Tall Defender.
DeKoning is a wait and see, who knows he could be a Ruck or KPD.
So yeah, I meant a Ruck, Outside Midfielder, Balanced Midfielder, KPD, KPF. I think we can fill two or three at draft, rest by Trade/FA.

Yeah good summary.
We probably won't need two bookends at either end, I meant one at either end.
I think SavRat will make it, Kreuger should be good enough for the Third Tall Forward.
Blicavs can go for at least 6 more years as FB easily. I see Kolo as the Third Tall Defender.
DeKoning is a wait and see, who knows he could be a Ruck or KPD.
So yeah, I meant a Ruck, Outside Midfielder, Balanced Midfielder, KPD, KPF. I think we can fill two or three at draft, rest by Trade/FA.

If I have conveyed two at either end , it was not my intent. The point was to name someone who would solve our needs .The type. Obviously if we had Sam Taylor and Ben King for example. One was a very early pick , the other far more achievable.

We may be able to cover some but can we really expect to find multiple players not taken that are the standard of McLuggage or Rowell etc.

It was purely an observation, not what the solution is. You point was originally about planning for the future.. with no gun FSon on the horizon, and no multiple years down the bottom of the ladder, how do we plan for the future. etc. It would not surprise me to see us try to trade in a gun kid with picks we have. ..who? No idea atm.

Tom Browne.... yeah i know... tweeting about Cats and Tomma in talks of a 1 year extension..

Early days... but id figure he'd get 2 years at this stage of career and still playing well.

GO Catters

Tom Browne.... yeah i know... tweeting about Cats and Tomma in talks of a 1 year extension..

Early days... but id figure he'd get 2 years at this stage of career and still playing well.

GO Catters
Hawkins deserves 2 but happy with rolling 1 year contracts with a clause for an extra if form/games played are met

GO Catters
Totally fine with that... Means we can still go for any big fish forwards at end of year with a backended deal. And I ain't talking about Paul Salmon or his descendants. ;)

Kemp all over again...

Potential number one draft pick Elijah Hollands suffers season-ending ACL injury
It has come at the worst possible time. One of the candidates for the No. 1 pick has suffered a cruel blow on the eve of his top-age year. But his talent manager is confident he has shown enough to AFL recruiters.

Which of the GWS midielders could we target this off-season?

I think Hately would work well with blokes like Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty. Or do we want some class users like Caldwell?

I believe both are OOC this season.

We could probably get one of them without selling the farm. Might require a 2nd round pick, or a first with a second sent back with the player.

Which of the GWS midielders could we target this off-season?

I think Hately would work well with blokes like Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty. Or do we want some class users like Caldwell?

I believe both are OOC this season.

We could probably get one of them without selling the farm. Might require a 2nd round pick, or a first with a second sent back with the player.

Harry Perryman or Zac Williams.

Losing Hawkins, Selwood, Danger and Ablett is gonna be brutal and we already are missing a ruck.

It’s going to require the biggest rebuild since the 99-2001 period and were only at the start of it.

Losing Hawkins, Selwood, Danger and Ablett is gonna be brutal and we already are missing a ruck.

It’s going to require the biggest rebuild since the 99-2001 period and were only at the start of it.

It highly improbably we can rebuild to that level without dropping out of contention , as we did in 99-01 and 06. Those 4 players were either FSons or early picks.. In some respects considering that we have 3 R1 picks this year , for recruitment it would be beneficial to have a poor year and have at least one pick in the first few.

Grab 2 or 3 Falcons , perhaps Walsh the ruck and a couple of others, perhaps Henry or Bruhn or whoever. Perhaps Hollands falls to us.

It will not happen.

I think we will continue to try to hold the line against the equality storm. We will try to replace a couple of the players with FA or trades and try to find over looked players in the draft with later picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back