Giant Clearance Sale - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the cap, how long is Richmond kicking in for Lids' contract - is it just 2017 or longer?
Honestly dont know. I recall a report it was half for two years but not sure of the accuracy and can't recall the source.
In the big picture my view is we'll dig as deep as we can for Shiel if it's necessary, he matters from a marketing point of view I think. Of the others I hope we keep them all but most would be a win for us.

Honestly dont know. I recall a report it was half for two years but not sure of the accuracy and can't recall the source.
In the big picture my view is we'll dig as deep as we can for Shiel if it's necessary, he matters from a marketing point of view I think. Of the others I hope we keep them all but most would be a win for us.
I guess a lot will hinge on the new rights deals - the cap will increase which may help retention, but one or two clubs could be building a war-chest for monster offers although I imagine if Fyfe leaves Freo that will take one club out of the equation, Dusty could be the second monster movement.

I guess a lot will hinge on the new rights deals - the cap will increase which may help retention, but one or two clubs could be building a war-chest for monster offers although I imagine if Fyfe leaves Freo that will take one club out of the equation, Dusty could be the second monster movement.
:straining: Hope you're right, less focus on us the better. Leon named Fyfe as the player he'd most like to coach in 2015 but can't see us in the market.
Not sure why some of your mids aren't targeted more, but maybe they will be if and when the opportunity arises.
Edit: Get this wont be popular but Dianod said now our cap is normalised we should get the same remtal assistance as the Swans, so that should also help somewhat.

Last edited:

Wouldn't Richmond kick in for the remaining time on the contract that he was contracted for at Richmond?

:straining: Hope you're right, less focus on us the better. Leon named Fyfe as the player he'd most like to coach in 2015 but can't see us in the market.
Not sure why some of your mids aren't targeted more, but maybe they will be if and when the opportunity arises.
Edit: Get this wont be popular but Dianod said now our cap is normalised we should get the same remtal assistance as the Swans, so that should also help somewhat.
We've signed most of our mids to long term deals, although having 3 F/S mids (Libba, Wallis & Hunter) helps along with guys off the rookie list (JJ, Dahlhaus & Picken) who have publically said they'd never leave as the Bulldogs were the only club willing to take a chance on them.

We did lost Hrovat & Stevens last trade period much like you guys shed fringe players to keep your core group together.

We've signed most of our mids to long term deals, although having 3 F/S mids (Libba, Wallis & Hunter) helps along with guys off the rookie list (JJ, Dahlhaus & Picken) who have publically said they'd never leave as the Bulldogs were the only club willing to take a chance on them.

We did lost Hrovat & Stevens last trade period much like you guys shed fringe players to keep your core group together.
Your lucky if players say publicly they wont leave. I wasn't neccessarily saying they would, just they are onvious targets for clubs looking to strengthen their midfield.
I feel the same way about Devon Smith who jas acknowleged walking out due to homesickness when injured in his first year and was coaxed back. I think he'ĺl stick now
Dylan took a pen to the metting and signed when offerred the same deal as Cogs and Treloar last time. But until they sign who knows.

Sounds familar

Thats right, same thing was said when we drafted in year one.
Except it was they will leave after their 1st contract, then it was when they can get a big $ contract after their 2nd contract. Most stayed that we wanted.

We may lose 1 or 2 no doubt, but there won't be anymore firesales as we are on the same cap and list size as all else.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
ml

Your points are all true.

However GWS have to fit a far greater number of quality players into the same cap than other clubs.

Some GWS players will have to take "unders" or leave.

ml

Your points are all true.

However GWS have to fit a far greater number of quality players into the same cap than other clubs.

Some GWS players will have to take "unders" or leave.
100%

We are relying allot on the core coming through together.

Look we will lose 1 or 2 of the stars this year. It wint be a massive sale but it will be 2 that will be missed.

Who they are? No idea. Depends who gets offered the mill a year.

I think we're in a pretty good position now. Players will be offerred extns through the year no doubt, nefore trade week next year I think we'll pretty much know. Until then it's all pretty meaningless except we have a lot of talent worth a lot of money to try and resign under the cap.

Agree it's all speculation at this point but one can be sure with the haul of academy youngsters entering at season's end quite few quality more established players will have to be let go.
Baggers will have good crack at attraction quality talent this year and next as we have restructured to have plenty of cap mobility.

Agree it's all speculation at this point but one can be sure with the haul of academy youngsters entering at season's end quite few quality more established players will have to be let go.
Baggers will have good crack at attraction quality talent this year and next as we have restructured to have plenty of cap mobility.
Fair enough.
I want to keep them all, but reality is players coming off contract get to choose. The better they are the more options they have.
We locked away Ward, Scully, Lobb and Haines last year quietly, off the top of my head. We were always going to end up in this position if we didn't screw it up.
I'm sure the club has been preparing. Still gonna have to get some guys to say no to more money though, and that's not gonna be easy.
I dont think next year will be a serious blow, but we probably wont keep everyone we want.
I agree with a lot of our serious posters the real test for the club will come later when have bad years, which must happen to every club at some point.
For now I think guys wont want to leave too much while they sniff a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.
I want to keep them all, but reality is players coming off contract get to choose. The better they are the more options they have.
We locked away Ward, Scully, Lobb and Haines last year quietly, off the top of my head. We were always going to end up in this position if we didn't screw it up.
I'm sure the club has been preparing. Still gonna have to get some guys to say no to more money though, and that's not gonna be easy.
I dont think next year will be a serious blow, but we probably wont keep everyone we want.
I agree with a lot of our serious posters the real test for the club will come later when have bad years, which must happen to every club at some point.
For now I think guys wont want to leave too much while they sniff a flag.

I'm sure you guys will be prepared and do all possible to keep the best together.
Looking at GWS there's an embarrassment of top talent, so many teams will envy the surplus and target a few.
Also with another 4 or 5 quality youngsters taken in this year's draft , some others may have to give way.

I'm sure you guys will be prepared and do all possible to keep the best together.
Looking at GWS there's an embarrassment of top talent, so many teams will envy the surplus and target a few.
Also with another 4 or 5 quality youngsters taken in this year's draft , some others may have to give way.
:D We dont feel it's embarassing in the slightest. Of course other teams will make offerrs to some players.
We wait and see.

He only had one year (2017) left on his Richmond contract so I would assume that however much of it Richmond are paying it's just for 2017 not 2018.

Why is that?

I don't have any compelling evidence but there have always been rumours that he wants to come back home and he may think as though he's given GWS some good service and the time is right. I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed but I don't expect him to.

He also bought a sizeable property in Geelong West recently and generally these things are a dead give away when it comes to players moving clubs.

I don't have any compelling evidence but there have always been rumours that he wants to come back home and he may think as though he's given GWS some good service and the time is right. I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed but I don't expect him to.

He also bought a sizeable property in Geelong West recently and generally these things are a dead give away when it comes to players moving clubs.
If you happen to get him, your forward line would suddenly look quite dangerous. A forward line containing the speed of Cockatoo (think he'll emerge this year), Motlop and Smith as well as Hawkins, Menzel and McCarthy sounds pretty good and I reckon that would cause headaches for most sides. The only question mark I would have would be who will support Hawkins as the second tall as I don't think Stanley is the man but other than that I quite like your prospective forward line for the next few years at least.

If you happen to get him, your forward line would suddenly look quite dangerous. A forward line containing the speed of Cockatoo (think he'll emerge this year), Motlop and Smith as well as Hawkins, Menzel and McCarthy sounds pretty good and I reckon that would cause headaches for most sides. The only question mark I would have would be who will support Hawkins as the second tall as I don't think Stanley is the man but other than that I quite like your prospective forward line for the next few years at least.
We definitely need a quality small forward such as Devon Smith. We were the worst in the league for inside 50 ground ball differential which speaks volumes IMO. He would help us a lot. Our forward line has really suffered over the last few years with Menzel doing his 4 ACL's. I know that it's easy to say this but he was going to be a legitimate star of the comp had he not gone down in 2011. The fact that he was able to come back and kick 30+ goals in his first year back is a credit to him and he should only be better in 2017.

Our forward line is currently our biggest concern. As you say Hawkins needs help and Stanley isn't the answer. I like Stanley but he isn't a forwards ass hole. He is a ruckman that can rest forward at times but if you leave him forward you're going to be disappointed with the results. Harry Taylor has been training with the forwards this pre season and it looks as though he'll play forward to support Hawkins and give us another option to kick to. I quite like this but a lot of Geelong supporters don't, which is fair enough as well I guess. With Lonergan, Henderson and Kola down back I think that we can afford the luxury of playing Taylor forward, but that's just my opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens once the season starts.

Throw in Ablett as well as Smith in 2018 and we could have a very potent forward line IMO.

We definitely need a quality small forward such as Devon Smith. We were the worst in the league for inside 50 ground ball differential which speaks volumes IMO. He would help us a lot. Our forward line has really suffered over the last few years with Menzel doing his 4 ACL's. I know that it's easy to say this but he was going to be a legitimate star of the comp had he not gone down in 2011. The fact that he was able to come back and kick 30+ goals in his first year back is a credit to him and he should only be better in 2017.

Our forward line is currently our biggest concern. As you say Hawkins needs help and Stanley isn't the answer. I like Stanley but he isn't a forwards ass hole. He is a ruckman that can rest forward at times but if you leave him forward you're going to be disappointed with the results. Harry Taylor has been training with the forwards this pre season and it looks as though he'll play forward to support Hawkins and give us another option to kick to. I quite like this but a lot of Geelong supporters don't, which is fair enough as well I guess. With Lonergan, Henderson and Kola down back I think that we can afford the luxury of playing Taylor forward, but that's just my opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens once the season starts.

Throw in Ablett as well as Smith in 2018 and we could have a very potent forward line IMO.
I'm actually quite surprised, now that you've showed me, that the Cats finished last for the I50 ground ball differential stat. I didn't think you'd finished high but definitely wasn't expecting the Cats to finish last for that stat so it shows that a player like Cockatoo and Smith would help in this area immensely.

I did hear that Taylor is training with the forwards and like you, I like the idea of Taylor supporting Hawkins up forward. Like you said, I think Taylor is at the stage now where he can afford to play up forward with Lonergan, Henderson, Kolodjashnij down back and I believe that move might help you guys with having one less tall down there and you've also got Gardner who seems to be rated highly by Cats fans. Henderson would probably be the other option to support Hawkins but I really liked what he did down back last year and he was probably one of your best defenders for the year so I feel it's better for him now to settle in the one position as that didn't really happen when he was at Carlton.

I'm actually quite surprised, now that you've showed me, that the Cats finished last for the I50 ground ball differential stat. I didn't think you'd finished high but definitely wasn't expecting the Cats to finish last for that stat so it shows that a player like Cockatoo and Smith would help in this area immensely.

I did hear that Taylor is training with the forwards and like you, I like the idea of Taylor supporting Hawkins up forward. Like you said, I think Taylor is at the stage now where he can afford to play up forward with Lonergan, Henderson, Kolodjashnij down back and I believe that move might help you guys with having one less tall down there and you've also got Gardner who seems to be rated highly by Cats fans. Henderson would probably be the other option to support Hawkins but I really liked what he did down back last year and he was probably one of your best defenders for the year so I feel it's better for him now to settle in the one position as that didn't really happen when he was at Carlton.
My apologies. I just checked where I read about our ground ball differential and it just says that we were "poor" in that area so I'm not sure if we were last or not, but it definitely is a problem area for us none the less.

My apologies. I just checked where I read about our ground ball differential and it just says that we were "poor" in that area so I'm not sure if we were last or not, but it definitely is a problem area for us none the less.
All good :thumbsu:, You've given me sufficient info for me to know that it's an area the Cats need to work on for this season and in the future so no problem from my side of it.

All good :thumbsu:, You've given me sufficient info for me to know that it's an area the Cats need to work on for this season and in the future so no problem from my side of it.
We've brought in Brad Johnson to help with the issue so hopefully he can teach our young forwards a thing or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back