News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Article in the SMH today mentioned Dave Matthews was interviewed for the AFL CEO role.
I think he’s done a fair job at the Giants and is probably due for a change, but the top job seems a big stretch.

I don't mind Matthews but the marketing side of the giants has been appalling, plus I heard him on sen the other day and he didn't even know about the weird forward pocket at giants stadium, how is that possible? I noticed it within the first 30 seconds of walking into giants stadium for the first time.

The Giants have earmarked a spot in the best 22 for Aaron Cadman should he be ready to take it early in the season. Assistant coach Brett Montgomery is hoping the 2022 no.1 draft pick can make his presence felt early and play a role. As it stands, Cadman is training well and appears set for an early debut. “I’d like to think so,” Montgomery responded when asked if Cadman would play early in the season. “He certainly hasn’t put a foot wrong so far. He's only a slight build, incredibly athletic, he gets across the ground really well, so I don’t see why not. Obviously, we’ll have the dilemma with Harry Himmelberg who’s a pivotal piece for us and whether he plays forward or back, at the moment he’s spending his time at the forward just to make sure that we’ve got some insurance if Aaron isn’t ready to go early in the season.
“But we’re really excited, really hopeful that he’ll play some meaningful football early.”

Montgomery’s comments suggest Himmelberg could be shuffled to defence if and when Cadman plays. After playing six seasons almost exclusively as a forward at the Giants, the 26-year-old was moved to defence midway through 2022 under stand-in coach Jarrod McVeigh.
Himmelberg flourished, frequently gathering over 20 disposals and recording 10 or more rebound 50s on four occasions as an intercept defender. His reading of the play makes him an important asset at either of the ground. When asked if Himmelberg could slot back into defence to accommodate Cadman, Montgomery sang the praises of the 127-game Giant. “Potentially. If we get Jesse Hogan up and running and fully fit and at the top of his game, and Jake Riccardi comes on like we believe he can, then that conversation will definitely need to be had,” he replied. “I see Harry as one of these types that could potentially be an All-Australian centre half-back, and at the moment he’s running around the forward line playing roles for us because we need him, that’s where it sits.”

Seems like the big question is back in play!
Fmt2bHzakAAtA-F

The Giants have earmarked a spot in the best 22 for Aaron Cadman should he be ready to take it early in the season. Assistant coach Brett Montgomery is hoping the 2022 no.1 draft pick can make his presence felt early and play a role. As it stands, Cadman is training well and appears set for an early debut. “I’d like to think so,” Montgomery responded when asked if Cadman would play early in the season. “He certainly hasn’t put a foot wrong so far. He's only a slight build, incredibly athletic, he gets across the ground really well, so I don’t see why not. Obviously, we’ll have the dilemma with Harry Himmelberg who’s a pivotal piece for us and whether he plays forward or back, at the moment he’s spending his time at the forward just to make sure that we’ve got some insurance if Aaron isn’t ready to go early in the season.
“But we’re really excited, really hopeful that he’ll play some meaningful football early.”

Montgomery’s comments suggest Himmelberg could be shuffled to defence if and when Cadman plays. After playing six seasons almost exclusively as a forward at the Giants, the 26-year-old was moved to defence midway through 2022 under stand-in coach Jarrod McVeigh.
Himmelberg flourished, frequently gathering over 20 disposals and recording 10 or more rebound 50s on four occasions as an intercept defender. His reading of the play makes him an important asset at either of the ground. When asked if Himmelberg could slot back into defence to accommodate Cadman, Montgomery sang the praises of the 127-game Giant. “Potentially. If we get Jesse Hogan up and running and fully fit and at the top of his game, and Jake Riccardi comes on like we believe he can, then that conversation will definitely need to be had,” he replied. “I see Harry as one of these types that could potentially be an All-Australian centre half-back, and at the moment he’s running around the forward line playing roles for us because we need him, that’s where it sits.”

Seems like the big question is back in play!
Fmt2bHzakAAtA-F
It would be very exciting if Callaghan, Cadman, Stone all ran out round 1.

This year would be a massive win for the future if we can just get these young guys on the park and performing at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty average commentary all round. Who are these guys?

The disrespectful stuff was average (shambles, wont be at the giants all that time etc), the expectation that a first year full forward will come in and play most games and kick 25 goals and average a contested mark a game is very optimistic, so to set that as a pass mark is crazy. If does that, well that is an amazing start to a career .
They were a bit all over the shop in general.
Never heard of these guys, but it comes across like kids in a basement.

Pretty average commentary all round. Who are these guys?

The disrespectful stuff was average (shambles, wont be at the giants all that time etc), the expectation that a first year full forward will come in and play most games and kick 25 goals and average a contested mark a game is very optimistic, so to set that as a pass mark is crazy. If does that, well that is an amazing start to a career .
They were a bit all over the shop in general.
Never heard of these guys, but it comes across like kids in a basement.
I'm sure it's just a fun pod and to be taken with a grain of salt.
Obviously not everyone follows each club as intently as they follow their own. They probably can't see that our team is far more balanced this year..
But they are just going off what we dished up last year....which wasn't great so I get it.

Most podcasts are literally people in a basement...that's kinda the fun of it.

Cadman kicking 25 would exceed even the wildest expectations, that would be a pretty historic season for any modern day KPF I think, can't think of many guys that have come into the league their first year and did that. Think it's more likely that he plays 5-10 games shows some flashes of cool stuff but overall isn't particually good and hopefully by Year 3 we can start to see him put some more consistency together.

A new sponsor for the club.

Says they're from Adelaide looking to break into the eastern states market.

The GIANTS are delighted to announce VALO as a new major partner of the club with the GIANTS’ training and community facility at Sydney Olympic Park to be known as the VALO Community Centre.

The Adelaide-based company have joined the club to support both the men’s and women’s programs, with the AFL polos and training balls to feature the VALO logo.

The club’s home in Sydney Olympic Park will now be named the VALO Community Centre with the facility boasting the club offices, high performance spaces for AFL and AFLW, an indoor training field, an expansive gym and a full-size AFL field. The signing of VALO as a major partner will also assist the club’s aims to continue to develop the facility into a state-of-the-art high-performance centre.

GIANTS CEO David Matthews welcomed VALO to the family. “We’re delighted to welcome VALO to the GIANTS family,” Mr Matthews said. “VALO is a rapidly growing local business who, while beginning in Adelaide, is moving into the eastern Australia market. There’s great synergy between our two organisations who are on a rapid growth trajectory. We’ve both achieved a lot in a short time and have community at the heart of everything we do.

VALO CEO and Founder Aaron Hickmann said joining the GIANTS is an exciting development for his organisation. "We are proud to be announced as the Official Partner of the GIANTS, extending our support for the AFL and its clubs,” Mr Hickmann said. "Both VALO and the GIANTS are young businesses which have already begun to build a strong legacy and are passionate about supporting their local communities.
VALO's partnership with the GIANTS comes as we expand into NSW and the ACT, both of which the team has a presence in, and we’re excited to be showing our support to the western and broader Sydney community as naming rights partner of the VALO Community Centre. Quality stadia lighting and digital displays for enhancing spectator experience is crucial in elite sport, and we're looking forward to profiling our Australian owned and made product in the eastern states.”

Founded in 2012, VALO is an Australian advanced technology company with its core in ultra-high-performance LED lighting. VALO is committed to accelerating disruptive and sustainable technologies and has transitioned from importer to manufacturer, exporting Australian designed and made LED lighting product with its flagship stadium light, the Zenith Gen-V.

Seems to follow the main themes a lot of us on this board are thinking, a lot of talent to work with just has to be put together
I've usually enjoyed the Mongrel Punt, especially HB Meyers. Not afraid to call it as he sees it, but not an intrinsically anti-GWS journo. I can live with most of what he's said.

I am looking forward to this season with hope. Fingers crossed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back