News Giants were nearly formed as an all Irish club called ‘Sydney Celtic ‘

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s according to everyone’s favourite narcissistic nutter Ricky “ toot toot” Nixon.

Here he tells the story on his fb page the other day..

“The Tassie Celtics

Tonight is the first of my weekly Football Stories/Ideas this year which has drawn an overseas sponsor soon to be announced.

I want your thoughts and feedback

When the AFL announced that a licence would become available for an AFL Team in Greater Western Sydney in 2005 I put in a bid in for the licence as the Sydney Celtics (the first ever Irish associated AFL Team). The AFL decided they knew better and were worried that having an ethic alliance with another nation might result in people throwing flares at games (unbelievable).

3 years later when GWS was costing the AFL $3M a month they asked if I would reconsider. I said NO.

The AFL has announced last year it will create a Tasmania Team.

To do that they have 3 choices

1. A Start up Club will be real hard (ask GCS) why ? Because it aint a destination Club and the depth of AFL Talent aint great.
2. Relocate an existing team there. That can only be North Melbourne and Gold Coast Suns because Melbourne and Western Bulldogs aint going.
3. A start up Club that had a left field huge point of difference and that is the Tassie Celtics a club with Irish Connections …..that could attract huge interest in Tasmania, Australia and Ireland

A normal start up like GCS and GWS I had my doubts over how successful it could be as a stand alone. Sure with massive draft concessions there could be on field success but start ups need much more including vital supporter membership, TV appeal and ratings, sponsor appeal and for that matter general AFL supporter appeal and the list goes on.

For a decade I regularly flew to Ireland in a bid to recruit Irish players for AFL Clubs. It dawned on me that perhaps there was a much better alternative. One that would have sealed the starting point for International expansion.

So what do I mean by the Tasmanian Celtics ?

The Tasmanian Celtics would be similar to the famous Boston Celtics Basketball Club the hugely successful Sporting Franchise in America. It would have a major Irish influence and be made up of any out of contract first blood Irish players currently playing in the AFL, a certain amount of Players from Ireland and of course those drafted from Tasmania and a supplementary list of other AFL players drafted to the franchise. The exact configuration of the playing list can be debated but it’s a starting point and I would be interested in your comments.

What if the Tasmanian Celtics was owned jointly by the private Tasmanian investors and the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) in Ireland ? Think of the wealthy Irish businessmen in Australia. I can count 10 straight up that would be keen to be involved .
Imagine the interest around the world ? It’s estimated that whilst the population of Ireland is 6.4 million there is up to 96 million first blood Irish living abroad. Every week people would watch Tasmanian Celtics play both here in Australia and throughout the world. Why ? Because it’s their Team it’s not a team struggling like GCS etc

Here are some of the compelling reasons I believe it should be looked at a lot closer and a realistic potential super successful plan
• Tasmania has reportedly one of the fastest growing populations of Irish people in Australia
• They could possibly sign up to 50,000+ members in Australia/Ireland/OS in the first year
• They would attract sponsors from around the world.
• It would be every hero worship stuff for kids in Tasmania and Ireland as well as Irish families in Australia and for that matter the world to play for the Tasmanian Celtics
• If they played one of the top Melbourne based teams ie Collingwood in Rd 1 of their first season at the MCG they would draw record crowds with unprecedented attention not only here but in Ireland
• It would be unique to Australian Sport. A uniqueness that would be a PR dream
• It could be coached by someone like Mark Williams “Choco” and feature prominent Irish Player at the Geelong Zac Thuoy another PR Dream
• It would have such a loyalty connection with supporters not only in Tasmania but the mainland and also Ireland and every ex Irish person around the world ….could be massive !!
• They could play pre-season games in Ireland and do pre-season training camps there
• Eventually games could be played for premiership points in Ireland and the UK and the US
What do you think ? Do you think it’s an option that would have been worth the punt ? If you’re Irish how good would it be to have your own team in the AFL ?

What do you think Tasmanians ?????

Left field but that’s how the Chicken created a lot of successful things in the AFL

#allaboard the Tassie Celtics #ChickenGoesBang !!!!

Boston Celtics, American professional basketball team based in Boston, Massachusetts. One of the most successful franchises in sports history, the Celtics won 11 of 13 National Basketball Association (NBA) championships from 1957 to 1969”

I only read the first half of the post but I agree with the AFL not to introduce the “Sydney Celtics” as the second NSW club for the Irish fan base.

You can’t bring in a club specifically named for a particular ethnicity over others.

AFL clubs are apolitical and should never be named or associated with one particular group of people over another. They are a team for everyone in that region. That doesn’t mean they can’t support particular causes, simply they shouldn’t be named after any one demographic.

AFL clubs are apolitical and should never be named or associated with one particular group of people over another. They are a team for everyone in that region. That doesn’t mean they can’t support particular causes, simply they shouldn’t be named after any one demographic.

The pre-1970 history of supporter bases in the VFL says hi

That’s according to everyone’s favourite narcissistic nutter Ricky “ toot toot” Nixon.

Here he tells the story on his fb page the other day..

“The Tassie Celtics

Tonight is the first of my weekly Football Stories/Ideas this year which has drawn an overseas sponsor soon to be announced.

I want your thoughts and feedback

When the AFL announced that a licence would become available for an AFL Team in Greater Western Sydney in 2005 I put in a bid in for the licence as the Sydney Celtics (the first ever Irish associated AFL Team). The AFL decided they knew better and were worried that having an ethic alliance with another nation might result in people throwing flares at games (unbelievable).

3 years later when GWS was costing the AFL $3M a month they asked if I would reconsider. I said NO.

The AFL has announced last year it will create a Tasmania Team.

To do that they have 3 choices

1. A Start up Club will be real hard (ask GCS) why ? Because it aint a destination Club and the depth of AFL Talent aint great.
2. Relocate an existing team there. That can only be North Melbourne and Gold Coast Suns because Melbourne and Western Bulldogs aint going.
3. A start up Club that had a left field huge point of difference and that is the Tassie Celtics a club with Irish Connections …..that could attract huge interest in Tasmania, Australia and Ireland

A normal start up like GCS and GWS I had my doubts over how successful it could be as a stand alone. Sure with massive draft concessions there could be on field success but start ups need much more including vital supporter membership, TV appeal and ratings, sponsor appeal and for that matter general AFL supporter appeal and the list goes on.

For a decade I regularly flew to Ireland in a bid to recruit Irish players for AFL Clubs. It dawned on me that perhaps there was a much better alternative. One that would have sealed the starting point for International expansion.

So what do I mean by the Tasmanian Celtics ?

The Tasmanian Celtics would be similar to the famous Boston Celtics Basketball Club the hugely successful Sporting Franchise in America. It would have a major Irish influence and be made up of any out of contract first blood Irish players currently playing in the AFL, a certain amount of Players from Ireland and of course those drafted from Tasmania and a supplementary list of other AFL players drafted to the franchise. The exact configuration of the playing list can be debated but it’s a starting point and I would be interested in your comments.

What if the Tasmanian Celtics was owned jointly by the private Tasmanian investors and the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) in Ireland ? Think of the wealthy Irish businessmen in Australia. I can count 10 straight up that would be keen to be involved .
Imagine the interest around the world ? It’s estimated that whilst the population of Ireland is 6.4 million there is up to 96 million first blood Irish living abroad. Every week people would watch Tasmanian Celtics play both here in Australia and throughout the world. Why ? Because it’s their Team it’s not a team struggling like GCS etc

Here are some of the compelling reasons I believe it should be looked at a lot closer and a realistic potential super successful plan
• Tasmania has reportedly one of the fastest growing populations of Irish people in Australia
• They could possibly sign up to 50,000+ members in Australia/Ireland/OS in the first year
• They would attract sponsors from around the world.
• It would be every hero worship stuff for kids in Tasmania and Ireland as well as Irish families in Australia and for that matter the world to play for the Tasmanian Celtics
• If they played one of the top Melbourne based teams ie Collingwood in Rd 1 of their first season at the MCG they would draw record crowds with unprecedented attention not only here but in Ireland
• It would be unique to Australian Sport. A uniqueness that would be a PR dream
• It could be coached by someone like Mark Williams “Choco” and feature prominent Irish Player at the Geelong Zac Thuoy another PR Dream
• It would have such a loyalty connection with supporters not only in Tasmania but the mainland and also Ireland and every ex Irish person around the world ….could be massive !!
• They could play pre-season games in Ireland and do pre-season training camps there
• Eventually games could be played for premiership points in Ireland and the UK and the US
What do you think ? Do you think it’s an option that would have been worth the punt ? If you’re Irish how good would it be to have your own team in the AFL ?

What do you think Tasmanians ?????

Left field but that’s how the Chicken created a lot of successful things in the AFL

#allaboard the Tassie Celtics #ChickenGoesBang !!!!

Boston Celtics, American professional basketball team based in Boston, Massachusetts. One of the most successful franchises in sports history, the Celtics won 11 of 13 National Basketball Association (NBA) championships from 1957 to 1969”

My Tasmanian opinion is that it sounds like a s**t idea, Chicken.

One of the enjoyable tasks given to any immigrant arriving in Australia is being encouraged/ coerced into choosing a team. I lived in Sunshine so chose the Dogs. I am Irish. Hail the red white and blue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only read the first page but

There’s a huge difference between naming a club after a particular ethnic group and a particular clubs supporters or players aligning to a particular ethnicity, religion etc.

I didn't realise the Sydney Celtics idea was a new revelation. It's already on GWS' wiki page (though it says the GAA boss came forward with the idea).

The Celtics idea may have worked as a second Sydney team in a market yet to produce many of their own players, and a point of different from the Swans, but it seems a pretty ridiculous idea in Tasmania.

From the Herald in 2008. Almost became a reality before they adopted the “Giants” and the colours orange, white and black

Footscray: the primarily Anglican working class club.

Lucky you didn't wind up in the north west and go for the bombers - Presbyterian club that didn't let catholics play for them for much of their history. I've gleefully broken the news to multiple irish people who have found themselves going for essendon

This would have to be one of the most delusional ideas I've ever heard of. Nobody except an extremely small minority roots for the Boston Celtics because they are "irish." People are fans of the team because they are from Boston or the New England area, and because they had a sustained period of success that created a strong brand.

I know the Irish are popular (pubs, music, etc.) but this is just crazy talk. This isn't 1910.

The Tasmanian Celtics would be similar to the famous Boston Celtics Basketball Club the hugely successful Sporting Franchise in America

I don't understand the obsession by those in the industry to emulate American sports. What we've got works great, we don't need to follow the US route.

This idea was public well before the giants were revealed. Like, 20 odd years ago. The idea was to have them owned by the GAA in Ireland since recruiting Irish players was all the rage back then.

Never got close to being taken seriously. I can't imagine the GAA would want to become a subject of a foreign sport on the other side of the world. If the SANFL had to be dragged kicking and screaming then the GAA was no chance.

This is neither news nor anything to do with American sports or culture. I dont know what is with Australia's obsession with labeling everything they don't like as American, but it's super cringe and stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back