News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I think those males tend to be half the problem. Went to several Tillies games during the World Cup and the atmosphere was electric, mainly because it was mostly girls, women, and older men cheering. Personally seeing a bunch of drunk young men screaming doesn't do much for the atmosphere. There is always an edge of aggression to it that makes me less likely to cheer as I don't feel safe and I know others feel the same. (I am not talking about those TikTok lads, who are great. I am talking about the idiots who go to the footy to drink and act like clowns.)

At the Gabba, the atmosphere is electric because there are less of these d*ckheads around as it is not a traditional AFL state. It's good wholesome fun with very few idiots ruining it for others.

I should say it helps that the Lions actively engage their supporters, meanwhile Geelong have always held us at a distance.

Disagree, partner is a Lions supporter, many many many drunken young supporters who are sport code hoppers (lots of League supporters who jump between Broncos and Lions) who go to the footy with their mates and get plastered while hurling abuse/acting rowdy.

Great example i can bring up!
Daniel Merrett or "Sauce" as he's affectionately known had his own cheersquad of young lads when the Lions sucked and you could basically sit anywhere at the Gabba. Those guys would sit right near the goals where he was playing Fullback.
They would go to the footy to be specifically rowdy and act like hooligans and abuse whichever forward he was playing on. Happens for every single club, some are just worse eg Richmond, Pies, Port etc

It's entirely noticeable that we've gained a reputation as "spoiled" or "arrogant" and it's hard to disagree. People at the Cattery thumbing their noses down at others because the Cats have been soo good for soo long that its caused a sense entitlement.

We've desperately needed big competitive games or rivalry games to be held at KP to get people involved and making noise.

Can also say for a fact that the Lions membership team is nowhere near as good as Cats membership team having dealt with both.

Bring down Collingwood and you’ll experience a totally different crowd.

It's a curious thing AFL fandom, we say we are the most fanatical, passionate fans in the world, but then we put all these conditions on that apparent "passion" like: Ill cheer, but only if Collingwood are playing at KP, or "ill go but not if it's raining", or "Id like to go but it's a bit cold today"...

Green Bay Packer fans turn up in -20 with the wind chill at -45, they literally shovel snow the day before the game to make the stadium safe and usable, and when they turn up, it doesnt matter if it's Chicago or Jacksonville, they sound the same no matter what, and it's a sell out...Meanwhile, one drop of water falls from the sky on the morning of a game here and the crowd drops by half.

Be nice if maybe we could but the knitting needles and the book down and actually cheer for our team regardless of the circumstance, but maybe that's just me.

It's a curious thing AFL fandom, we say we are the most fanatical, passionate fans in the world, but then we put all these conditions on that apparent "passion" like: Ill cheer, but only if Collingwood are playing at KP, or "ill go but not if it's raining", or "Id like to go but it's a bit cold today"...

Green Bay Packer fans turn up in -20 with the wind chill at -45, they literally shovel snow the day before the game to make the stadium safe and usable, and when they turn up, it doesnt matter if it's Chicago or Jacksonville, they sound the same no matter what, and it's a sell out...Meanwhile, one drop of water falls from the sky on the morning of a game here and the crowd drops by half.

Be nice if maybe we could but the knitting needles and the book down and actually cheer for our team regardless of the circumstance, but maybe that's just me.
We say?? Who says?? Yeah nah. Not even close based on my sporting ventures to the US and Europe over the last 30 years.
We are a more sedate civilised mob especially these days. Yes there are exceptions to that rule. But all in all we are.
On opponents. Oh yeah opponents do matter... They matter a lot.
Yeah it’s just you. lol.
*NFL ticket holders turn up or sell them off as the demand is that very similar to AFL GF tickets.
Cheer and clap your heart out. We are lucky we have a lot of kids at our games.
Somethings u don't see overseas as it's really too costly.
Cheers & GoCatters!

Q
We say?? Who says?? Yeah nah. Not even close based on my sporting ventures to the US and Europe over the last 30 years.
We are a more sedate civilised mob especially these days. Yes there are exceptions to that rule. But all in all we are.
On opponents. Oh yeah opponents do matter... They matter a lot.
Yeah it’s just you. lol.
*NFL ticket holders turn up or sell them off as the demand is that very similar to AFL GF tickets.
Cheer and clap your heart out. We are lucky we have a lot of kids at our games.
Somethings u don't see overseas as it's really too costly.
Cheers & GoCatters!

My experience in the US is that NFL is crazy but College Sports (especially "football") is even more tribal. Ask for some when you ask what team they follow and you'll be met with their college team - that's where you learn about Buckeyes vs Wolverine's rivalry

Most of trips to the USA have included January which is 'Bowl Season', and when it comes to the College Bowls the fans are nuts, it really is a intergenerational thing and college allegiance doesn't change

When I was in New Orleans a few years back they were getting ready for the Sugar Bowl, and at the parade the day before the fans were decked out head to toe in their college colours - this included one family where there was 4 or 5 generations in attendance from the baby just a few months old, to the elder statesman of the family and all were wearing head to toe orange

About a decade before that I was in Ohio over homecoming weekend - the Buckeyes had a home game & their stadium at the university has a seating capacity of over 102,000 with a record crowd of over 110k - the traffic jam for those trying to get to the ground would have impressed those who get stuck on the Westgate freeway in the mornings

We are passionate here, but nothing like what is seen overseas

My experience in the US is that NFL is crazy but College Sports (especially "football") is even more tribal.

No question about that, it's absolutely true.

Go Devils!

My experience in the US is that NFL is crazy but College Sports (especially "football") is even more tribal. Ask for some when you ask what team they follow and you'll be met with their college team - that's where you learn about Buckeyes vs Wolverine's rivalry

Most of trips to the USA have included January which is 'Bowl Season', and when it comes to the College Bowls the fans are nuts, it really is a intergenerational thing and college allegiance doesn't change

When I was in New Orleans a few years back they were getting ready for the Sugar Bowl, and at the parade the day before the fans were decked out head to toe in their college colours - this included one family where there was 4 or 5 generations in attendance from the baby just a few months old, to the elder statesman of the family and all were wearing head to toe orange

About a decade before that I was in Ohio over homecoming weekend - the Buckeyes had a home game & their stadium at the university has a seating capacity of over 102,000 with a record crowd of over 110k - the traffic jam for those trying to get to the ground would have impressed those who get stuck on the Westgate freeway in the mornings

We are passionate here, but nothing like what is seen overseas
You're not wrong.
I cut my teeth on US sports with my mate who was an Alumni of the Nittany Lions, Penn State.
So were his brothers his dad his mom his sister his grandfather etc etc etc... All Alumni's.
The passion. The love. The 100% commitment to their College is nothing like i have seen.
Beaver Stadium is a sight to behold. 108k seats. A white out.
I was there for a game vs the Buckeyes in 2016. Cost me like $500US back then.
Met Saquon Barkley when he was a nothing as he was an old student of my mates.
Was there in 2017(In Pennsylvania) when the Wolverines came to town.
Wasn't rich enough to pay $800 odd bucks for a ticket then. TV Beer Nachos for me and my mates.
Again Barkley put on a clinic.
Crazy Crazy Fookers LOL.
Rivalry week is great too. Have been to Sun Devil(ASU) when the Arizona Wildcats visited.
USC v UCLA was another ripper. But Californians are not in the same class of fanatics as those from the East or more so down south.
A trip to Tuscaloosa is worth it just for what goes on before during and after the game.
I am a BIG Denver Broncos fan and have seen quite a few games at Mile High.
Crazy but not Bat Shyte Crazy.
On Bowl games... I think they have lost their lustre.
People see it for what it is. Money makers.
If their team isn't in the final 4 playoff, the interest isn't all that fanatical as it once was.
Cheers Bud.

Also consider more often than not the stadium has been in a state of renovation for the best part of late... no doubt atmosphere is a little softened when there's a gaping hole around portions of the ground.

No question about that, it's absolutely true.

Go Devils!
Don’t have a lot of US sports experience except for a College basketball game at MSG between Villanova and St John’s about 9 years ago
My son and I were flanked on one side by a father/ 20yo son and a father/ 20 yo son were a row in front. Both supported different sides.
There was some class a banter for a while but it became edgy when it got close at the end.
There was a blatant foul and then it was on - punches thrown left right and centre in time with the college brass band - two fathers and their sons duking it out🙃
We managed to avoid getting hit and 20 seconds later both groups are back watching the game.
Funny stuff😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking great from the air during the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race coverage.

View attachment 1893936
Great aerial image.

Looking at the Moorabool Street side the Hickey Stand now looks out of place. I would think the Hickey Stand could be expanded in height with a new tier developed over the actual road reserve, a bit like Brunton Avenue. If that occurred then they could reclaim some oval space from the ground seating. It is only the Moorabool Street side that is out of whack.

Doesn’t look like South Geelong Station will be ready come round 1
Major construction is due to be complete in late 2024, so possibly not for the entire season.
The station is still functioning, however, so with luck fans can still rely on the train when getting to games.

Here’s a slightly different view, with a better view of the cricket oval.

IMG_3372.png

Nothing is set, it's just been assumed on here a number of times that surely they'd look to match Brunton Ave or what's been done for the existing GABBA.
Well if they want to match the other 75% of the stadium it will go over the road.

As in it’s all set up to do it, won’t happen for 20 odd years plus.

Not saying it will happen, but look at the photos, it’s in place on the Christmas list one day.

Great aerial image.

Looking at the Moorabool Street side the Hickey Stand now looks out of place. I would think the Hickey Stand could be expanded in height with a new tier developed over the actual road reserve, a bit like Brunton Avenue. If that occurred then they could reclaim some oval space from the ground seating. It is only the Moorabool Street side that is out of whack.

Surely there's some funds in there for VicGov to try and get those people to move? And/Or instead build the stand up and over the road, tough luck for buying next to a sports stadium. Stadiums are always gonna upgrade and progress.

Nothing is set, it's just been assumed on here a number of times that surely they'd look to match Brunton Ave or what's been done for the existing GABBA.
There's been huge protests about knocking down the school and housing that sits right outside the Gabba to build for expansion.
Looking like it might not even go ahead at all at this rate.

There's been huge protests about knocking down the school and housing that sits right outside the Gabba to build for expansion.
Looking like it might not even go ahead at all at this rate.
Haven't been following it as it's QLD news. I figure if it gets big enough the TODAY show on 9 will cover it, as between Karl's background and their obsession with sending the weather guy to QLD they'll eventually cover it.

Will be interesting in the next couple years IF we do see the ground more often than not....or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back