News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

What are people's thoughts on the Kardinia Park precinct around the stadium? Is it still old and run down? Haven't been there for ages but I remember it could have been so much better.
The whole precinct probably needs a bit of TLC. Especially outside the players stand - basically just a gravel pit and not very welcoming relative to the more recent development stages. Would also love to see a walking bridge over Latrobe Terrace at some stage considering the amount of people that cross over that road.

The whole precinct probably needs a bit of TLC. Especially outside the players stand - basically just a gravel pit and not very welcoming relative to the more recent development stages. Would also love to see a walking bridge over Latrobe Terrace at some stage considering the amount of people that cross over that road.
Surprised no walking bridge has ever been discussed. Would make things so much easier, safer and would add to the game day experience. Would also be well used for non football events.

Surprised no walking bridge has ever been discussed. Would make things so much easier, safer and would add to the game day experience. Would also be well used for non football events.

Other than 9 AFL matches a year, I'm not sure how much usage a pedestrian bridge over Latrobe Terrace would really get

When you factor in the heavily vehicles which use Lateobe Terrace daily & the clearance needed for them, finding a suitable location to connect with on the other side etc, it's likely not financially viable

Surely we can get Kardinia Park going with something. Or maybe we're happy to be the polite country folk ... got another scone, Merle?

Id like to think so too. Crowd atmosphere is the big reason to attend in my view. Standing with the boys and girls in the old Ablett Terrace and the rear of the Players stand in recent years, who have a few songs up their sleeves was always a treat, and im looking forward to it returning this year in the new standing section.

It would be nice to get the rest of the crowd going with some of those songs as they are pretty creative. Maybe the new standing section being closer to the rest of the stand will enable that. Hopefully Merle can find some voice in between scones.

Old man and I go to MCG games (home and away) and 1 KP game a year. The atmosphere is always a bit of a shock to the system at KP. It's dead quiet punctuated by some polite clapping for goals.
Haven't been to many games at KP. Maybe 10 all up. Atmosphere is always quiet compared to the roar of other teams or when Geelong play at the G. Without wanting to offend I always put it down to the stereotypical 'handbaggers' and the atmosphere the stadium provides. Hopefully with new closed in stadium, acoustics, and higher crowd capacity will improve this over time. Good old sleepy Hollow haha

We've all seen it, the knitting, the book. And that's OK, each to their own. But as a crowd it seems all we've got is "Geee-long, clap, clap, clap, Geee-long, clap, clap, clap". Hardly enough to even make the knitters look up. "Coll-ing-wooood" might be somewhat simple, but when the 'G is rocking with it, it's spine tingling, even for an opposition supporter. Surely we can get Kardinia Park going with something. Or maybe we're happy to be the polite country folk ... got another scone, Merle?
It's been this was for at least the past half century. Ever since the 2008 season (post drought break) I've found the only, few times the atmosphere has been electric has been close games, in particularly when there is compounded bad calls made by the umpires when we're on the ropes, or following a bad incident in the remaining minutes. The crowd really gets riled up and there's little chance for people to calm down again.

A key thing there is how little we've had close games during this 15+ year period due to the nature of our generally good run and the teams we play. We the proper changing of the guard upon us, with the last remnant of that dynasty on their final journey, the next 3-5 years will be interesting, especially from this season with more of a cauldron finish to the ground.

Hoping the standing room in the Selwood Stand brings some atmosphere - hopefully not from oppo fans.
The best atmosphere I find at the Cattery is also night games, maybe because the crowd indulges more in hydration... but it is absolutely louder and better at night.
I know the Players Stand has it's faults but in a good game at night the noise absolutely reverberates around there and it is fantastic

Haven't been to many games at KP. Maybe 10 all up. Atmosphere is always quiet compared to the roar of other teams or when Geelong play at the G. Without wanting to offend I always put it down to the stereotypical 'handbaggers' and the atmosphere the stadium provides. Hopefully with new closed in stadium, acoustics, and higher crowd capacity will improve this over time. Good old sleepy Hollow haha
Yeah.

People are entitled to support however they want, so I don't have an issue with it. My preference would be a bit more of an atmosphere though

Another poster summed it up perfectly. The closer the game, and the bigger the game, the louder it gets. That last quarter of the Melbourne game (Tuohy after the siren goal) was insane.

Also, when we played Richmond at KP late in 2017 when it became apparent both teams were up to their eyeballs in premiership contention that year, I remember the crowd being very vocal.

But if we're playing some average inter-state team and expectation is we will win by 7+ goals, the atmostphere can be very, very ordonary IMO.

I do wish we would be a bit more 'feral', but in a respectful manner where lines aren't crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, when we played Richmond at KP late in 2017 when it became apparent both teams were up to their eyeballs in premiership contention that year, I remember the crowd being very vocal.

But if we're playing some average inter-state team and expectation is we will win by 7+ goals, the atmostphere can be very, very ordonary IMO.
This is absolutely it. How many games does KP get that actually "matter"? Hardly any. When a big Melbourne team comes good, they stop getting scheduled. Richmond from 18-23? No games. Collingwood? Never. Hawthorn? Not since 2006 (covid aside).

It's a real shame, why do the good folk in Geelong not deserve to get the best games like any other home member for any other club?

You can't blame them for being docile watching another 5-10 goal drubbing where the cue is in the rack at QT.

This is absolutely it. How many games does KP get that actually "matter"? Hardly any. When a big Melbourne team comes good, they stop getting scheduled. Richmond from 18-23? No games. Collingwood? Never. Hawthorn? Not since 2006 (covid aside).

It's a real shame, why do the good folk in Geelong not deserve to get the best games like any other home member for any other club?

You can't blame them for being docile watching another 5-10 goal drubbing where the cue is in the rack at QT.

These are the games we have this year at the new Cattery

vs Saints in Round 1 (Finals team)
vs Norf in Round 5 (Rebuilding team)
vs Port in Round 10 (Finals teams)
vs Giants in Round 11 (Finals team)
vs Tigers in Round 12 (Rival team)
vs Hawks in Round 17 (Biggest Rival team)
vs Dogs in Round 19 (Fringe Finals team)
vs Crows in Round 21 (Pushing Finals team)
vs Eagles in Round 24 (Rebuilding team)

There's only 2 gimme games there, the rest are Finals, potential Finals or heated Rivals.

There should be NO excuse for our crowds being quiet. Want to know why Lions constantly win at the Gabba?
It's a fortress. They make it super intimidating to play there.

There is no reason the Cattery shouldn't be just as feared. People need to get over themselves and stop taking themselves so seriously at the freaking football.
It's the footy, not a company picnic.

You can cheer, celebrate and chant if you want.

These are the games we have this year at the new Cattery

vs Saints in Round 1 (Finals team)
vs Norf in Round 5 (Rebuilding team)
vs Port in Round 10 (Finals teams)
vs Giants in Round 11 (Finals team)
vs Tigers in Round 12 (Rival team)
vs Hawks in Round 17 (Biggest Rival team)
vs Dogs in Round 19 (Fringe Finals team)
vs Crows in Round 21 (Pushing Finals team)
vs Eagles in Round 24 (Rebuilding team)

There's only 2 gimme games there, the rest are Finals, potential Finals or heated Rivals.

There should be NO excuse for our crowds being quiet. Want to know why Lions constantly win at the Gabba?
It's a fortress. They make it super intimidating to play there.

There is no reason the Cattery shouldn't be just as feared. People need to get over themselves and stop taking themselves so seriously at the freaking football.
It's the footy, not a company picnic.

You can cheer, celebrate and chant if you want.
I actually think after missing finals, you can argue there is more on the line now at home... we have long been just expected to roll up and win, and plenty of people just take it for granted. If we are in a fight, the crowd will respond accordingly

I actually think after missing finals, you can argue there is more on the line now at home... we have long been just expected to roll up and win, and plenty of people just take it for granted. If we are in a fight, the crowd will respond accordingly
They better, it's pathetic to think people will sit on their hands when the team is struggling and needs support.

People underestimate how much a Home field advantage helps teams through games. You think the players can't hear the roar and noise for Pies/Blues/Tigers/Dons etc when they are up and going? It drowns out the stadium. When Charlie Cameron kicks a goal and Country Roads gets going, it reverbs around the Gabba cause it's Coliseum shaped and the crowd will keep going through the next ball up too.

Cats fans need to get off their high horses and pull their fingers out. We've been spoiled for too long.

They better, it's pathetic to think people will sit on their hands when the team is struggling and needs support.

People underestimate how much a Home field advantage helps teams through games. You think the players can't hear the roar and noise for Pies/Blues/Tigers/Dons etc when they are up and going? It drowns out the stadium. When Charlie Cameron kicks a goal and Country Roads gets going, it reverbs around the Gabba cause it's Coliseum shaped and the crowd will keep going through the next ball up too.

Cats fans need to get off their high horses and pull their fingers out. We've been spoiled for too long.
people shouldn't underestimate it.... IMO it is a big reason the Pies come back often late, if they are within a few and kick the first goal at home, the crowd starts heaving and there is no doubt in my mind it impacts both teams, the Pies get a lift, the opposition start to feel the pressure and then it just becomes a tidal wave. They are begrudgingly the best 23rd man in the comp those inbreed heathens!

I did fail to take into account the mainly interstate teams we play at KP. Half of which are down the bottom of the ladder and we win by 10 goals. Compared to bigger teams/rivalries. Hawks and Tigers will be massive this season. Whilst I wont be going it'll be good to witness the 'electricity' around the ground and how that comes through on TV.

Spot On!! U nailed it. I have been saying the same for ages.
Bring down Collingwood and you’ll experience a totally different crowd.

We've all seen it, the knitting, the book. And that's OK, each to their own. But as a crowd it seems all we've got is "Geee-long, clap, clap, clap, Geee-long, clap, clap, clap". Hardly enough to even make the knitters look up. "Coll-ing-wooood" might be somewhat simple, but when the 'G is rocking with it, it's spine tingling, even for an opposition supporter. Surely we can get Kardinia Park going with something. Or maybe we're happy to be the polite country folk ... got another scone, Merle?
You're not wrong. It's really hard to get right, the clubs (and anyone's) attempts will always feel contrived but there's a missed opportunity.

It's post game but Touhys thing with the crowd has been great.

I'd love for something to be created but it will always fall flat if it isn't organic, how do you make it organic? No f'ing clue.

You're not wrong. It's really hard to get right, the clubs (and anyone's) attempts will always feel contrived but there's a missed opportunity.

I'd love for something to be created but it will always fall flat if it isn't organic, how do you make it organic? No f'ing clue.
Getting it right ... yep, no idea. I reckon Charlie's Country Roads was contrived to a point, but it has taken off. Crowd was still singing it long after a goal in last year's prelim. No need for the PA there. Hoping the boys from the back of the Players Stand get plenty of support this season.

Getting it right ... yep, no idea. I reckon Charlie's Country Roads was contrived to a point, but it has taken off. Crowd was still singing it long after a goal in last year's prelim. No need for the PA there. Hoping the boys from the back of the Players Stand get plenty of support this season.
I wonder if the new standing section might attract a more fanatical younger demographic. When a small group of mainly males aged 16-23 get together for sport they do create a certain atmosphere and their energy and general 'rowdiness' does rub off on to others. It then becomes a thing and attracts more and more as the weeks go on. Examples of this would be the younger supporters of the Matildas gathering to watch on the big screen. Also some of those Aussie tik tok guys who have created a frenzy playing div 7 footy in Adelaide and Melbourne and watching other games. It's madness.

Daughter just showed me video of the 2e stuff ... sensational. I had no idea! But yeah, post-game.

I wonder if the new standing section might attract a more fanatical younger demographic. When a small group of mainly males aged 16-23 get together for sport they do create a certain atmosphere and their energy and general 'rowdiness' does rub off on to others. It then becomes a thing and attracts more and more as the weeks go on. Examples of this would be the younger supporters of the Matildas gathering to watch on the big screen. Also some of those Aussie tik tok guys who have created a frenzy playing div 7 footy in Adelaide and Melbourne and watching other games. It's madness.
I think those males tend to be half the problem. Went to several Tillies games during the World Cup and the atmosphere was electric, mainly because it was mostly girls, women, and older men cheering. Personally seeing a bunch of drunk young men screaming doesn't do much for the atmosphere. There is always an edge of aggression to it that makes me less likely to cheer as I don't feel safe and I know others feel the same. (I am not talking about those TikTok lads, who are great. I am talking about the idiots who go to the footy to drink and act like clowns.)

At the Gabba, the atmosphere is electric because there are less of these d*ckheads around as it is not a traditional AFL state. It's good wholesome fun with very few idiots ruining it for others.

I should say it helps that the Lions actively engage their supporters, meanwhile Geelong have always held us at a distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back