Going Forward (The Future)

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't be shy, tell me what you really think :p

No I expect he already knows the basics of his trade, but I also think that players change depending on the team they are in and the requirements of that team. I also think that a lot of players get better playing at the swans (and I put that down the development and coaching staff, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

If you mean he is never going to be a superstar, then yes I agree. If you mean that he will never be able to do the role Horse asks of him, then no I don't agree with you. I don't think we need a team full of superstars, just a team with a few stars and a whole bunch of workers... and I'm hoping that Sinkers will turn into a worker...
If Dean Cox can't teach the bloke about his trade there's something wrong. He was a gap fill before Naismith emerged which at the time was an evident need. With a fit Tippett and Naismith he'll be running round in the ressies on great $.

Cunningham is one of the biggest question marks for me. Right now we need some outside pace and good ball use. He fits into both those categories, but never uses his speed, and doesn't get enough of the ball. He has to work his way into best 22 next year or he's done afaic. Without his speed and kicking, he's just a pointless bloke that just gets ten or a dozen disposals and that's it

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
X Richards is not gone yet. But I think if he doesn't get a trade he will go into the draft. The thing is if he stayed he could have built up some purchase by playing a whole year in the forward line. ButI get the feeling that clubs don't think he has a great deal to offer as the bids don't seem to be flowing in.
If the club see the upside in Dawson and Murray as you do and have to fit Reid into the team as well, then XR's opportunities to play may well have been limited to the NEAFL. If any of us were in his shoes, the open market looks a better bet if he wants to play regular senior footy.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Nankervis will be a much better footballer than Sinclair.....he's only 22 and already a better player in my eyes. I agree with everything else you said though.
I think I actually agree with you. If Sinkers can't hold his grabs, he becomes a liability rather than an asset. And presently he would be judged a liability.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes, I know you and the rest of the board think so, but I have no problems daring to be different :p or being wrong (had lots of practice!o_O)

I think he might be able to add something to the team... if he starts clunking them in the F50
Marking is his issue. It's all between the ears. Coaches need to sort it. If he can mark well on his own...that would be a win. And he could be a real weapon. If he can't take a pack mark....well he wouldn't be on his own there. What is the likelihood of anyone kicking to him though if they reckon there's a real chance that he is going to spill it? A loss of faith by his team mates and Sinkers will be Mr Nowhere man.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
If Dean Cox can't teach the bloke about his trade there's something wrong. He was a gap fill before Naismith emerged which at the time was an evident need. With a fit Tippett and Naismith he'll be running round in the ressies on great $.
Reckon that has sorted it. Sinkers is our number three ruck. Becomes a higher order ruck only when those in front of him are injured. Looks like he won't necessarily play a lot in the ressies then.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
O Riordan a chance?

I haven't seen a lot of him but have liked what I have seen.

Was named in the NEAFL team of the year I think and considering this was his first season of Aussie rules at any level, it certainly looks promising!

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I must admit that I was quite pessimistic re our chances at the start of 2016 and it proved to be a year way beyond my expectations.
We have historically been heavy traders at this time of year in order to improve our list however this year has been the opposite with players going out and nothing coming back in return. Hopefully, we can find a few kids from the reserves again next year as we did this year, but that is purely speculative.
I felt we did the Mitchell deal too early and should have demanded a top 10 pick (which is what he was worth). With this draft said to be one that runs quite deep, we may find a couple of good ones at 14 & 17. Our first round draft selections over the past decade have not been brilliant though.
Had we won in 2014 & 16 as expected, I would not be concerned as we would have received the benefits from Tippett & Buddy risks but it is now starting to hurt us.

Don't get me started. I don't think it would have been asking too much for their 2017 1st, plus possibly upgrades in the first (17>14) and second round (39>36) this year, certainly as a starting position. It frustrates me because in the end St Kilda nearly got twice the value we did for their pick 10 which is what Mitchell was worth IMO.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Sinclair is not young, he's 27. To suggest he's suddenly going to learn his trade now is ridiculous.
I agree. He's getting his hands on the ball every time, and it's just ricocheting straight off his open palms.

If a 27 yo professional footballer needs to be told he has to not just get his hands to the ball, but wrap his fingers around it as well, you wonder how old he'll be before he can tie his own shoelaces.

I don't make a habit of bagging our players but I have serious misgivings about Sinclair's grasp of the basics.

Sinclair is a big potato
Is this him on the left? (McGlynn being held in front)

aKgVxDO_700b.jpg

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
O Riordan a chance?

I think O'Riordan is unique in that he comes to us a really good kick of our footy. It is as though he was brought up on our footy. He is fast, mobile, plays tall or small and is tough and skilled. I am a bit excited as I think he will be better that Tadhg.

Don't get me started. I don't think it would have been asking too much for their 2017 1st, plus possibly upgrades in the first (17>14) and second round (39>36) this year, certainly as a starting position. It frustrates me because in the end St Kilda nearly got twice the value we did for their pick 10 which is what Mitchell was worth IMO.

How do you know they didn't ask?
You don't.
There was no rolling over, Mitchell wanted to leave and in the end the club wanted to get rid of him. 1st round pick was a bonus.

SwansFaninUSA

Debutant
Jul 19, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair call, it was the wrong choice of words.

But he's gone missing in 2 GFs. And I saw him give up badly on the wing yesterday.

Rohan was hurting. If you are feeling pain, you might fight it off for awhile, but you won't be at your best.

Could be a reason why he wears the jumper. And why you and I don't.

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Rohan was hurting. If you are feeling pain, you might fight it off for awhile, but you won't be at your best.

Could be a reason why he wears the jumper. And why you and I don't.
You and I don't wear the jumpers because we are not professional and gifted athletes being played large amounts of $$$ to run around and play sport for a living. He is.

He had a good year in many respects, but he choked in the granny I'm afraid to say. As far as I could tell from being at the ground he didn't appear injured. He just had a poor game. It happens. Sadly, it's happened twice to him. Let's hope he gets another chance to redeem himself next season and he has a blinder.

Saying Rohan choked in the Grand Final is very harsh. He performed exactly to the level I expected from him: 5-12 disposals, a goal, occasional impact, unsighted for large periods. That's his average production over every season at AFL level and also at junior level both in the u18 championships and with the Geelong Falcons.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Saying Rohan choked in the Grand Final is very harsh. He performed exactly to the level I expected from him: 5-12 disposals, a goal, occasional impact, unsighted for large periods. That's his average production over every season at AFL level and also at junior level both in the u18 championships and with the Geelong Falcons.
Don't know which bit I am more shocked by to be honest. From your perspective, Rohan is never likely to improve. His output in the GF was normal as per his past performances at all levels of footy? If you are correct that his future will be the same as his past, Rohan's selection at pick number 6 in 2009 was a howler and he has been a gifted spud. No more chances for Gaz. If he does not fully bloom this year - his eighth year at the Club, then we should be cutting our losses and investing in someone else.

Don't know which bit I am more shocked by to be honest. From your perspective, Rohan is never likely to improve. His output in the GF was normal as per his past performances at all levels of footy? If you are correct that his future will be the same as his past, Rohan's selection at pick number 6 in 2009 was a howler and he has been a gifted spud. No more chances for Gaz. If he does not fully bloom this year - his eighth year at the Club, then we should be cutting our losses and investing in someone else.
A lot of creative interpretation there. No player is beyond improvement and I have never said he can't improve (except where I've said repeatedly that he will never be a high possession winner), and if he improves next year then my expectations will increase in line with that improvement. But I wasn't disappointed in his GF performance because it was in line with expectations. We expect more from Lance Franklin than Xavier Richards because of the immense gap in experience, class and talent - so we'd be disappointed in a 12 possession 1 goal game from Buddy and for XR it might be quite reasonable.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
A lot of creative interpretation there. No player is beyond improvement and I have never said he can't improve (except where I've said repeatedly that he will never be a high possession winner), and if he improves next year then my expectations will increase in line with that improvement. But I wasn't disappointed in his GF performance because it was in line with expectations. We expect more from Lance Franklin than Xavier Richards because of the immense gap in experience, class and talent - so we'd be disappointed in a 12 possession 1 goal game from Buddy and for XR it might be quite reasonable.
You have offered a perfectly logical explanation of how our judgements of players changes with our level of expectation. I am still perplexed that you would see Rohan's game in the GF as on par with your expectation. If this is where Gaz is at after seven years in the swans system I don't see how improvement in his consistency within a game let alone within a season will change enough for him to be regarded as a must keep player.

Back