Gold Coast Coasters

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, i vented earlier and feel better!
As for the name united, the new A-League team just announced will be called Gold Coast United.
I support Freo who are just Fremantle FC so i guess having the Gold Coast FC as a local team won't be so bad.
I was thinking that they may still have a Marlin logo (drop the gay surf dude) and still be called the GC FC. I guess that could work but just no gay surf guy.

Freo have a mascot with a surf board surely GC can be original.
Actually come to think of it, they could have a Shark logo and be called the GC FC. Now, that could work!!

They can't have blue and gold - the West Coast will scream blue murder about their heritage being usurped - wait a minute...why not have one rule for the established ones and another for the blow ins?

I see that Searle has his welcome badge on, saying what is Gold Coast and what is not.

Gold Coast Bulletin 29/8/08

THE city's existing national sporting teams have raised their eyebrows, but fell short of condemning GC17, over a planned move to call the new AFL team The Gold Coast Football Club.

The Aussie rules entity, which is likely to enter the competition in 2011, would therefore be referred to as Gold Coast, without a nickname.

The Titans (NRL), Blaze (NBL) and United (A-League) all have separate 'mascot' names to differentiate themselves from each other.

Although GC17 will not officially announce the club name and colours until next Thursday night there are strong indications the bid team has opted for the 'Gold Coast' brand.

In an ever increasing game of one-upmanship, this name is also seen as an attempt by the AFL push to be considered as 'the' national code of the Gold Coast. However, the other sports were not biting yesterday.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said he was not too concerned about what the Gold Coast Aussie rules franchise inevitably called itself but admitted he was puzzled by the bid team's latest move.

"It is a very Victorian decision," he said.

"It has a very southern feel about it and doesn't really seem to represent the Gold Coast".

"I don't think it differentiates them enough from the other franchises or clubs on the Gold Coast and I think that is dangerous."

Gold Coast Blaze owner Owen Tomlinson also failed to react to the AFL bait.

"My first reaction was 'they couldn't come up with a name'," he said.

"I am not trying to be critical at all, but for them to think they are 'the' Gold Coast club, it is a bit presumptuous. But I wish them all the luck in the world and I hope they succeed."

Tomlinson admitted the Blaze actually considered calling themselves The Gold Coast Basketball Club at one stage.

Although they decided against it, Tomlinson said the club understood how time-consuming and difficult the naming process could be.

"At the end of the day, we are a Coast team like they are a Coast team.

"We are not 'the' Coast team and neither are they, even though they are just coming in.

"I can't be critical because if their motive is to push the Gold Coast, how can you be critical?

"But if their motive is they couldn't come up with a decent name, I feel sorry for them."

Clive Mensink, CEO of newly anointed A-League entity Gold Coast United, was indifferent to the AFL following the same thought processes.

"We have United (at the back end of the name) and that's instantly recognisable worldwide as a football label.

"We don't have any argument with the AFL, after all they too are on the Coast and you can't get away from that. You have to be realistic about these things.

"They have to make their decisions."

You'd think Searle would be more concerned about his team's dwindling crowds than laying into anyone else.

What a fat **** he is. 'Very Victorian?' Honestly, does he eat s**t in the morning so he can regurgitate it later on that day?

FFS. Just be called the Gold Coast Football Club and have a shark as your mascot.

Its not that ****ing hard. Its a good mascot and a good name. Enough with the pissy fish and the homo lifeguards.

****. Its not that hard.

Its better if they don't have a nickname, so no-one loses out when they eventually merge and become Gold Coast Demons.

Its better if they don't have a nickname, so no-one loses out when they eventually merge and become Gold Coast Demons.

This new club will have $$$ behind it, but will be hollow, no soul....the creamy filling to come from a dead carcass from Victoria. Makes the a potential merger in the future no big deal on the Queensland front...they don't even have a nickname, until a merger.

Very sneaky indeed.

Aside from that, a red and yellow combination would look great on a jumper with GCFC monogram...bit like the SFC Shepparton jumper on the Toyota ads.

I still can't believe that this club won't have a nickname ... I hope that these reports prove to be unfounded.

Why put out a short-list of names, if you are not going to choose anything?

They'll have a name, the name Adelaide Football Club was registered by the SANFL years before it's entry into the AFL. The same will happen with GCFC, they'll get to it.

There are more important thangs to concern themselves with before they settle with names, colours etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20a2rmb.jpg

I'd play on the name, Sharks is too close to Southport (who will undoubtedly jump up and down) but the image is good. Bull Sharks are prolific up there, I'd go with Bulls

THE GC17 bid team is set to axe the shortlist of club names and simply call the city's fledgling AFL team The Gold Coast Football Club.

However, The Gold Coast Bulletin understands the bid team, and especially GC17 leader John Witheriff, is of the opinion there is merit in just calling the team 'Gold Coast' to distinguish themselves from the Titans, Blaze and the incoming A-League team as 'the' football club of the city.

The team will be simply known as the Gold Coast, the Coast or affectionately as the Coasters.

There will still be a mascot designed, which is set to be similar to the Fremantle Dockers mascot -- which is of a blonde-haired surfer with a surfboard under one arm.

As they have for all five shortlisted names -- the Marlins, Stingrays, Ironmen, Guards and the Rays -- the AFL has already registered both the Gold Coast Football Club and Gold Coast FC as a public company.

The bid team has always said it may go with an option other than the five on the shortlist, and it appears Gold Coast FC is that option.

There were two designs for each logo -- one in blue and gold colours similar to the Titans and Blaze and the other in red and yellow to follow the surf lifesaving theme.

This is without doubt the most moronic suggestion I've ever heard!

1 - No mascot hey? What about the kids - what are they going to feature on caps, T-shirts, etc. There goes the merchandice sales for a start! And a nice middle finger to all those that participated in the naming contests / suggestions.

2- Distinguish themselves from other sports hey? They (Titans, Blaze, United, etc) are ALL called Gold Coast!! The only thing that distingushes them from each other is the bloody mascots!!

3 - Blue and Gold colours hey? - how original - West Coast will love that, let alone the term 'Coasters'! Any other modern sports franchise would include orange or bronze, something original, but these lot are are onto blue & gold - I can't believe this information.

I'm still upset about this! I reckon this is so selfish of the GC17 bid team.
I can't believe they want to go with a surf guy as an image. For crying out loud who in their right mind would wear merchandise sporting an ironman!! :mad: Pretty gay IMO.

Why not use Marlins or Stingrays?
Why would they ignore their supporters suggestions from day 1.
Very, very, very Big mistake by the bidteam and i hope they change their minds by Thursday night!!

We need a Mascot, we need a name!!

I have also noticed that on the GC17 website they have not updated the "Have your say" message board for almost a week now.
I bet GC17 know they are in the wrong! Why are they ignoring their inaugral supporters? Shame GC17!! :(

I have been excited about this venture ever since it was announced. I rallied supporters, created a Facebook supporters group, posted messages and participated in surveys on the GC17 site, and even went to Nth Melbourne games for Christssake to show how much we want his on the coast, and then this slap in the face. All this bullshit about creating a "statement" by just calling them "the Gold Coast" is just that - BULLSHIT! When the crowds for the AFL games consistently exceed that of the Titans NRL games on the same weekend, that will be enough of a statement. Bring on the Stingrays or Marlins (something please!) just don't go calling them "The Gold Coast". How Boring! SAY NO TO THE GAY SURFER!!

Below are the so called GC17 Values!! What a load of Bullshit!!
Does that say engage the local AFL community!!
Does point 6 say proudly GC. These guys are full of it!! :mad:
They chose the gay Surfer, they chose the No Name brand :mad:
Boooooooooo!!!!!!! You lied to us GC17!!!!!

The following 6 values are what all stakeholders will stand for throughout this process and beyond:
  • 1. Engage the local AFL community
  • 2. Engage the broader community, making our journey open to everyone
  • 3. Innovative and progressive
  • 4. Compliment and contribute to the development of the Gold Coast sporting community
  • 5. To adhere to the traditional values of other great sporting Clubs.
  • 6. Proudly GC!

This is without doubt the most moronic suggestion I've ever heard!

1 - No mascot hey? What about the kids - what are they going to feature on caps, T-shirts, etc. There goes the merchandice sales for a start! And a nice middle finger to all those that participated in the naming contests / suggestions.

2- Distinguish themselves from other sports hey? They (Titans, Blaze, United, etc) are ALL called Gold Coast!! The only thing that distingushes them from each other is the bloody mascots!!

3 - Blue and Gold colours hey? - how original - West Coast will love that, let alone the term 'Coasters'! Any other modern sports franchise would include orange or bronze, something original, but these lot are are onto blue & gold - I can't believe this information.
Well summarised. It smacks of a very wimpy decision if you ask me. It's like GC17 don't want to make a decision because they don't want to upset anyone with their choice of name - Marlins, Stingrays etc.

It's like they're playing it safe and trying to please everyone, but by going with just "Gold Coast" they end up pleasing no one.

I have to admit though, a lot of the names that have commonly been suggested for GC17 don't inspire me very much. Surely people can come up with something better.

I'm also of the view that sometimes you can consult with the community too much about these things. I remember when Port Adelaide and Fremantle both started up, both those clubs made their decisions, Dockers and Power respectively, without either being the most supported by the community. But soon enough the public gets on board.

Personally, I think they should choose their colours first and then go with a nickname that fits with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back