Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than wasting taxpayer dollars on something that will only ever be filled on the Opening and Closing ceremonies. The ads in Sydney selling tickets for the Melbourne Games where still running a week after it had started.

It is a second rate event that doesn't financially warrant massive expenditures on facilities, you just upgrade what you have got.

Last I looked, Brisbane was not a million miles from the GC, Athletics was not the only sport at the games and the Queensland Treasury wasn't sitting on unlimited funds now, nor will it in the future with an increasing population across the State.

Furthermore, there is an imminent election coming in Queensland, so pardon my scepticism.

If the centrepiece of the games were in Brisbane, i.e. track and field, then it wouldn't have any credibility as a Gold Coast games. That would scuttle the bid before it begins.

If the Qld government is serious about this bid they need to enter negotiations with the AFL and Cricket Australia to ensure the long term viability of the facilities. This would be a pleasant change from the short-sighted parochialism that built the rectangular Robina Stadium.

No, I know they won't build a Stadium 7 years out, more like 1 year out, tops.

That is if they even get it, and more likely that they hold the Athletics at either the Gabba or ANZ.

Wouldn't holding the opening ceremony, closing ceremony and athletics in Brisbane defeat the purpose of Gold Coast bid for the Commonwealth Games?

I think you're way off the mark and Gold Coast local Anna Bligh may be coming round to building a stadium capable of not only hosting the Commonwealth Games but a future stadium for the next Gold Coast AFL team. Ron Clarke an AFL man is on the steering commitee. :thumbsu:

Significant new sporting facilities for athletics, with various transport right to the stadium, would suggest to me a new oval shaped stadium is on the way if the QLD government and Gold Coast city council is serious.

Excellent news for the AFL and GG17. Forget the Gabba contract and Carrara, a new footy stadium paid by the QLD government is on the way. AFL fans, get behind the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games bid. This is fantastic news for our code in QLD. :thumbsu:

Ms Bligh said the Gold Coast bid would be overseen by a steering committee including former Olympian and Mayor Ron Clarke, Southport MP Peter Lawlor and Commonwealth Games and Olympics gold medallist Glynis Nunn-Cearns.

The committee will be chaired by Bulletin editor-in-chief Bob Gordon.

"There would need to be investment into significant new sporting facilities here in areas like swimming and athletics," said Ms Bligh.

"That's why we've got a 10-year timeframe. It isn't something we can bid for overnight and that's why we need to get out of the blocks now.

"I want the Gold Coast to have the most competitive bid. Having a 10-year planning framework gives us the chance to look at sporting infrastructure in a different way."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/08/23/15447_gold-coast-top-story.html

Good on ya Anna Bligh. Make it happen. :thumbsu:

I stand by my thoughts on the Stadium, look at sports like Soccer and Equestrian, they are played outside the main city at the Olympics.

I can understand those wrapped about the potential of a new Stadium, because Carrara is a dump.

The reality is that, the winner will be announced in 2011, that they may or may not win, for a potential Stadium in a decades time.

If the GC team is coming in 2011, there has to be another solution for the short term, at the least.

The reality is that, the winner will be announced in 2011, that they may or may not win, for a potential Stadium in a decades time.

If the GC team is coming in 2011, there has to be another solution for the short term, at the least.

The reality is that the proposal has to be submitted way before 2011
so the government shows it's hand early and has to change it's stance if
it wants to be serious about stage world events.

I stand by my thoughts on the Stadium, look at sports like Soccer and Equestrian, they are played outside the main city at the Olympics.

Stand by your thoughts all you like, but the main stadium being located outside the host city is simply not going to happen. Defeats the purpose of bidding for the games in the first place. Particularly the Commonwealth games, which don't have that many sports.

I can understand those wrapped about the potential of a new Stadium, because Carrara is a dump.

Of course, and that was always expected to be the case.

i think anna bligh is seeing the light and loving what the afl team will bring up there

she obviously wants the new team to play out of the commonwank games stadium

I stand by my thoughts on the Stadium, look at sports like Soccer and Equestrian, they are played outside the main city at the Olympics...
But never ever the cornerstone of both Olympic and Commonwealth Games ... track and field.

And even though soccer is always spread over several cities, the final is also always played in the host city.

So if the Gold Coast is to be the host city, then hosting the athletics is an absolute given.

Looking at this article closely, it appears the plan may be for a new stadium for AFL to be be built first, partly AFL funded - and then further developed if the Commonweatlth Games bid is successful -

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/08/23/15474_gold-coast-top-story.html

... The proposed $200 million AFL stadium, which would house the future Gold Coast AFL team, is expected to be developed into a major stadium facility housing up to 60,000 people if the bid is successful. ...

The 2018 Comm Games mascot will be revealed tomorrow morning. Here is a preview:

KkW7UKd.jpg

7WL1RVc.jpg

The 2018 Commonwealth Games mascot is Borobi - the blue surfing koala. The story goes that Borobi used to be grey like normal koalas but was told at a young age that the koalas can't surf and he eventually turned blue because he spent so much time surfing. I don't know how I feel about it right now. It almost looks Japanese cartoonish...

If anyone is wondering where the name came from, Borobi is the Yugambeh (Indigenous Gold Coast tribe) word for koala.

Borobi's story
When Borobi was born, all his Koala kin huddled around, utterly mesmerised by him and his very different paws. Each one bore unusual markings that Grandpa Koala, thought resembled drawings of the local people who spoke the Yugambeh language. Grandpa wondered if it could be a sign of great things to come.

The markings weren’t the only special thing about his paws. Borobi was missing the second thumb most koalas have to help them climb trees, so he spent more time on lower branches where he watched surfers ride waves. The more Borobi watched, the more he dreamed of learning to surf. Even though, koalas didn’t normally surf.

One morning, he slapped on some sunscreen and joined a ‘learn to surf’ school. In no time, he was paddling out back. He put in so much effort, his crimson nose glowed even brighter. But try as he might, every time he attempted to catch a wave, he’d tumble off his board into the cool, blue water.

Determined to learn how to surf, he walked to different Gold Coast beaches, leaving a trail of amazing pawprints. While Borobi was having lots of fun, he still hadn’t caught his first wave. After weeks of trying, he noticed a magical transformation. His grey fur had turned a vibrant blue – the colour of the water.

One day, when Borobi was out in the surf he saw the largest wave he’d ever seen rise up over the horizon. So he started paddling as hard as he could and was soon lifted to the top of the crest. Borobi leapt to his feet, landing perfectly on the surfboard. He was up and riding the wave!

As he walked up the beach, an elder approached Borobi. He explained that he’d been following Borobi’s pawprints, which had intricate patterns that spoke of a great gathering. The circles represented a large meeting place, the dots were spectators and the lines symbolised the athletes’ journey.

Borobi was blown away by this revelation and knew that destiny was calling. It would be his duty to be the Mascot of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. In the lead-up to the Games, you’ll see Borobi training hard with the athletes from all around the Commonwealth.

You may even see Borobi trying many of the Commonwealth Games sports. After all, who’d try to stop him from giving them a go? But while Borobi loves trying different sports, there’s nothing he loves more than supporting the athletes.

Today, you can see Borobi almost everywhere. A bright blue flash darting here and there, spreading the word about the exciting sporting events that will take place in 2018. He still proudly wears his vivid blue fur as a permanent reminder to never give up and that with a little hard work, any dream can come true.

Paw markings
These amazing Indigenous markings are more than just intricate patterns, they’re a sign of Borobi’s great calling to become the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Mascot.

You can see each of the Commonwealth countries represented by the campsite, which is the big circle on Borobi’s feet.

The athletes’ journey to the Games is indicated by the lines directing to the main campsite/meeting place on the Gold Coast (the big circle on Borobi’s hands), which also means the ocean/water in Yugambeh symbols.

The wavy lines on the fingertips represent the 11 days of the Commonwealth Games and the scattered dots symbolise the spectators from all over the world.

The markings on Borobi’s paws were created by contemporary Indigenous artist Chern’ee Sutton.

Chern’ee’s heritage lies with the Kalkadoon people from the Mount Isa area in Queensland, Australia. She first started painting when she was thirteen and paints mostly on canvas using acrylic and raised acrylic paints.

The talented artist has created artworks for Tennis Australia and the National Rugby League and also has paintings hanging in several Government offices, including Queensland’s Parliament House and the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Headquarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC Ch9 reporting Carrara Sports Complex/Metricon Stadium WON'T be renamed in honour of Ron Clarke, will be called GC Sports Precinct (pending Council's ok).

Boo!

GC Ch9 reporting Carrara Sports Complex/Metricon Stadium WON'T be renamed in honour of Ron Clarke, will be called GC Sports Precinct (pending Council's ok).

Boo!
I figured as much. Though it may be renamed down the line, after the games.

Boo!
I always preferred the option of a bronze statue for Ron Clarke as opposed to honouring him through renaming the sports precinct. Let's be serious, how often do you actually hear the words 'Carrara/Gold Coast Sports Precinct'? Barely at all would be my response to that question. You install a bronze statue outside the stadium and far more people are going to see, learn and appreciate Ron for his achievements/accolades.

It also gives the stadium a feeling of history and sets the precedent for any sports-related Gold Coaster to be immotalised in bronze outside Metricon.

Has there been any announcement or talk about the suns home games in 2018?

Will they fixture a lot of away games to start the season when games are on and then like 11 out of last 16 rounds at home?

Or make us play home at gabba?
Maybe home at cairns?
Or shanghai?

Probably at the Gabba tbh.

Will be interesting to see the thinking.
I hope not. Not unless all games are 110 or 220. Twilight n night games will be too hard to go.

Hopefully away to start season and finish with homes.
How many weeks metricon out of action??
Anyone know?

Someone at the club told me back in 2013, The SUNS would look for a block of away games, interspersed with some low drawing teams (Freo/Melb perhaps) that could be played at Sharks.

Three years ago, so that might have changed, but still makes sense

Someone at the club told me back in 2013, The SUNS would look for a block of away games, interspersed with some low drawing teams (Freo/Melb perhaps) that could be played at Sharks.

Three years ago, so that might have changed, but still makes sense
That'd be awesome to see an AFL game played at the Sharks for premiership points.

That'd be awesome to see an AFL game played at the Sharks for premiership points.

Any idea what capacity could be boosted to with a few temporary stands. You can get 10000 in Cazaly, so Sharks would potentially be a little more than that?

Any idea what capacity could be boosted to with a few temporary stands. You can get 10000 in Cazaly, so Sharks would potentially be a little more than that?
I think it fits around 8k without stands so I guess with temporary stands they could probably get it up to around 15k?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back