Expansion Gold Coast going past many other clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Never took any notice of it anyway. Since youve actually turned this into a my team v your team thread i take it you couldnt answer my last post which is usually the way when supporters havnt got a comeback. Its guess it was easier for you have a go at my club rather than stick to the topic at hand

Sorry I missed the question

The Cats won the flag without Ablett the year he left because they still had a core of star players that were still good enough to win them a flag. Gold coasts list is nothing like that and their midfield at the moment if you take away Ablett is just ok. To say they are going to be destroying teams in a few years time is ridiculous. Prestia and Swallow have got way to go before you could consider them A grade and Martin has hardly played a game yet. How about we see how they develop over the next year or two before making any further pre ejaculation predictions

Many of opinionated statements. Not a question in site.

I've got money riding on GWS winning a premiership before they do. This season I think GC will finish about 10th and GWS about 14th. Next year I think they'll both be in the 8 and GWS will be higher.

I've got money riding on GWS winning a premiership before they do. This season I think GC will finish about 10th and GWS about 14th. Next year I think they'll both be in the 8 and GWS will be higher.

Paying much? Which bookmaker?

I want a similar market between us and Brisbane!

Many of opinionated statements. Not a question in site.
Yes yet you chose to have a go at my team instead so ive come to the conclusion that you wernt capable of providing a valid opinion possibly because what i stated had some merit and instead thought it was easier just have a go at my team instead

Yes yet you chose to have a go at my team instead so ive come to the conclusion that you wernt capable of providing a valid opinion possibly because what i stated had some merit and instead thought it was easier just have a go at my team instead

Many apologies then :thumbsu:

My opinion is seeing as we were able to beat a self proclaimed premiership contender in 2012 our team is coming along slowly but nicely. I'm happy with our midfield and believe my team shows promise, especially in the midfield area, especially in comparison to most of our peers. :thumbsu:

Just a bet with my brother. I got 2.5 to 1 odds. If GWS win I get $500. If GC win he gets $200.

Bummer haha. You got me a little excited for a second. It's too close to call at the moment. SUNS are a fair way ahead in development, but I think GWS play a gamestyle that will win them the rough and tough finals game. How often do we see flashy teams who play a 'sleek' game plan get rolled in finals by a team with lesser overall skill but a willingness to put their bodies on the line. GWS will be ruthless in 2 years time

Many apologies then :thumbsu:

My opinion is seeing as we were able to beat a self proclaimed premiership contender in 2012 our team is coming along slowly but nicely. I'm happy with our midfield and believe my team shows promise, especially in the midfield area, especially in comparison to most of our peers. :thumbsu:
Excellent reply. So do you think your midfield will be destroying teams in a few years time because that was what i was highlighting in my earlier thread

I think our midfield will be destroying teams as early as this year. You could argue it has already started, the way we tore Richmond apart in that are on the weekend.

We struggle with our bookends, but I think our developing forwards have a reasonably high ceiling, in particular Sammy Day. Promising signs from him and Lynch working together on Saturday. An interesting stat which come from Saturday night was the fact that our 3 pronged forward line in Dixon, Day and Lynch had only played together a very small (9 I think) amount of times since inception of the club. Didn't help that Dicko went off at half time with a severe migraine concussion ;)

Our back end is ok. Rory Thompson will be an AA defender as early as this year but probably next. Henry Schade has all the skill attributes to back him up when Warnock goes, but is struggling in the strength and size department. But we have shown a little bit of depth down back when needed, with players like Stevie May and Sammy Day able to fill in there in a pinch. But once again comes down to our midfield. The best defence is a good offense. If teams can't win the clearance and get the ball forward of centre, our back end can afford to be a little vulnerable

I strongly disagree that we are not a rough and tough team. We are a great contested team already. I think we have a game plan which will stand up in finals. O'Meara, Prestia, Swallow, Rischitelli, Stanley, Lonergan are all very competent inside players. The stats back that up. This rubbish that GWS are a tougher team than us does not make sense and I dont know what stats there are to back that up either.
Even from watching them they go hard but I didnt think they won because of that. They won because they were persistent and never gave in whereas Sydney looked super flat.

It is too early to predict who will be better out of us and GWS. A lot of water to go under the bridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People don't seem to remember that Brisbane despite going 3peat were not the absolute dominant force of the competition from Round 1 through to finals. They never won the minor premiership in their dynasty and had to do it the hard way with one of their premierships after losing the QF.

Port Adelaide were right up there with them for the whole era but only went the whole way once. and Collingwood were very close in 02.

This isn't disrespecting Brisbane btw, they were an amazing team who always won when it mattered, and that is what made them great. But people with short memories always just seem to brush that era off that era as 'Yep Brisbane won everything and nobody ever had a chance' without actually bothering to look at the stats and history.

I think when Gold Coast and GWS hit their peak it will be similar, both will be top 4 teams but will have their weaknesses and be beatable on their day. One of them will maybe go 2 in a row, or we could see an 05/06 style exchange between them. But I don't think it will be as simple as 'Gold Coast vs GWS vs the rest' for 10 years as people have predicted.

I'm willing to cop sh!t for this but on the footy field Dion Prestia is the next Dane Swan.

Far, far better endurance runner is Prestia. I won't add too much to the comparison but I heard from an ex-player that Dane Swan will really suffer from the interchange cap due to the fact he only spend 3-5 minutes on the ground at any one time. He hits a wall after that amount of time and usually gets interchanged. Hence why he looked a bit sluggish at times on Friday (albeit playing alright).

For me it's just the get the ball moving forward, the knocks and taps to advantage and real relentless attack on the footy, the arch of the back out a contest and when they get it they both lower their eyes and look for a short target (yes, both will snap across the body to clear but all centremen do that). Both just real good accumulators.. If he ends up with a 3 time best and fairest, 5 x all Australian, brownlow medalist and premiership player I'd be pretty ok with that

Far, far better endurance runner is Prestia. I won't add too much to the comparison but I heard from an ex-player that Dane Swan will really suffer from the interchange cap due to the fact he only spend 3-5 minutes on the ground at any one time. He hits a wall after that amount of time and usually gets interchanged. Hence why he looked a bit sluggish at times on Friday (albeit playing alright).

"Player might struggle with less rest."

Shocking revelation.

You can't beat teams loaded with first round draft picks on their patch where the conditions are different to Melbourne's.

That's a pretty pissweak attitude - plenty of teams have had no problems beating them there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back