Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Often use my 4/rescue for bump and run shots, but its length makes it a bit awkward around the greens.
Thinking about getting it cut down to putter length, and putting a fat grip on it.
Anyone else done anything similar?
Get a cobra single length hybrid. I have one sitting in my garage, it's a beast for those bump and runs and around greens. I just don't really hit it well when hitting full shots so it's not in my bag at the moment.

A few different tests/reviews, this is ignoring the potential gains in forgiveness and off centre hits.

View attachment 1316068

View attachment 1316074View attachment 1316076

Totally agree it's pointless upgrading every year, but if you have the same clubs you gamed in 2000, you are no doubt leaving distance/forgiveness on the table, and would play better golf with a fitted set with current equipment than a fitted set of 10 year old stuff.

Bet ya that the standard deviation on those numbers comparing the three divers overlap each other.

I’ve got the Cobra single length irons as well.
Made a huge difference to my consistency

Are your wedges single length? Heard having the wedges that long makes bunker play and soft flips very difficult.

Have just ordered the Srixon zx5 irons from my club pro. Got a sweet deal for them so was hard to say no. Cannot wait for them to arrive

Have just ordered the Srixon zx5 irons from my club pro. Got a sweet deal for them so was hard to say no. Cannot wait for them to arrive
Yeh they look mint. Easily my favourite of all the current models from the different brands. When I go for my fitting I'm gonna try them and hopefully they perform.

Picked up this beauty from the the Hobart Tip shop. $4. Can't find anything on the net about this model. Can't imagine its fake but maybe? Any thoughts/help to find out more would be appreciated. 20220206_214340.jpg

Picked up this beauty from the the Hobart Tip shop. $4. Can't find anything on the net about this model. Can't imagine its fake but maybe? Any thoughts/help to find out more would be appreciated. View attachment 1323247
Looks like a cheap BullsEye copy mate.

The Acushnet one was the sought after version many years ago (when Corey Pavin was putting the Shark to the sword with one at Shinnecock Hills...).

Looks like a cheap BullsEye copy mate.

The Acushnet one was the sought after version many years ago (when Corey Pavin was putting the Shark to the sword with one at Shinnecock Hills...).
I know it’s a copy of whatever the legendary one is. Just thought it interesting that it’s a Mizzy.

These things look mint. $460 US or a set of irons. Amazing value for a forged iron KBS shafts (a few to choose from). Review is decent. If you are looking to purchase and not spend too much these could fit the bill. (only thing I don't like is the offset shape looking down on them)

Takomo_IRON101_backside.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get a cobra single length hybrid. I have one sitting in my garage, it's a beast for those bump and runs and around greens. I just don't really hit it well when hitting full shots so it's not in my bag at the moment.
Went to Drummond in Franga, they didn’t have one but they called around the other stores and found “apparently “ the only one in Melb.
Cobra Rad 4 Hybrid. Get it next week.
Think I’ll definitely experiment with cutting my old one down now.

I don't know how you get feel with hybrids/woods around the greens. they come of the face so hot. I would be off the green on the other side too often.
I struggled getting control of a 8 iron let alone a hybrid/wood

I don't know how you get feel with hybrids/woods around the greens. they come of the face so hot. I would be off the green on the other side too often.

It’s a novel concept, but that’s why people generally practice! The guys that actively practice those shots can be masters around the green.

Went to Drummond in Franga, they didn’t have one but they called around the other stores and found “apparently “ the only one in Melb.
Cobra Rad 4 Hybrid. Get it next week.
Think I’ll definitely experiment with cutting my old one down now.
I was actually going to offer you the one i have sitting at home, I took it out on the course yesterday to see if i was hitting it any better and I wasn't. Launches too low for me. Still a weapon around the greens and my favourite use for it is those punch out shots from under trees etc.

These things look mint. $460 US or a set of irons. Amazing value for a forged iron KBS shafts (a few to choose from). Review is decent. If you are looking to purchase and not spend too much these could fit the bill. (only thing I don't like is the offset shape looking down on them)

Takomo_IRON101_backside.png
The txg guys did a great review on them

and the guys on the wrx forum rate them for the price

I was actually going to offer you the one i have sitting at home, I took it out on the course yesterday to see if i was hitting it any better and I wasn't. Launches too low for me. Still a weapon around the greens and my favourite use for it is those punch out shots from under trees etc.
Used it for the first time today.
So easy to hit, and such a versatile club.

Had an embarrassing experience yesterday at an indoor free fitting that I'd organise with a guy from a golf store.

I couldn't get the ball off the ground, I just couldn't hit the ball inside off the mats and every shot was terrible.

I kept trying to tell him "I'm usually better than this" - I'm sure he hears that all the time.

Then other guys came in and were watching me too and it was even worse....

Got nothing out of it, cause none of my shots represented my actual game out on course or even at an outdoor range.

Anyone ever experienced this? I'm really worried because I've already booked a propper paid iron fitting with the intention to purchase a new set of irons, but I'm not confident at all that I can hit inside that represents my actual swing, and what is the point of a club fitting if on the day the shots I'm hitting are nothing like what happens out on course?

For example today he might have tried to fit me for topping shots that don't get off the ground, when in reality, that is not my problem at all when out on course.

Had an embarrassing experience yesterday at an indoor free fitting that I'd organise with a guy from a golf store.

I couldn't get the ball off the ground, I just couldn't hit the ball inside off the mats and every shot was terrible.

I kept trying to tell him "I'm usually better than this" - I'm sure he hears that all the time.

Then other guys came in and were watching me too and it was even worse....

Got nothing out of it, cause none of my shots represented my actual game out on course or even at an outdoor range.

Anyone ever experienced this? I'm really worried because I've already booked a propper paid iron fitting with the intention to purchase a new set of irons, but I'm not confident at all that I can hit inside that represents my actual swing, and what is the point of a club fitting if on the day the shots I'm hitting are nothing like what happens out on course?

For example today he might have tried to fit me for topping shots that don't get off the ground, when in reality, that is not my problem at all when out on course.
Are you able to get a fitting at your club on the range? They should have access to a launch monitor and/or have OEM fitting days who will have those resources to get you fit off turf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back