Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I get into bad habits hitting off a mat too often. Opposite problem to Juss, I find them too forgiving, you can hit over an inch behind the ball and get away with it. If I'm trying to work on something at the range ill take a few 5c coins with me or even an old tee or something and place them an inch behind the ball and make sure im not hitting the coin before the ball.

Are you able to get a fitting at your club on the range? They should have access to a launch monitor and/or have OEM fitting days who will have those resources to get you fit off turf.
Unfortunately not, this guy's fitting hub is set up in a shed.

Hitting into a screen is also not fun. There's something about seeing out into the distance and a target that helps my swing, I lose that indoors and I don't get to see the true ball flight properly for feedback for the next shot.

Had an embarrassing experience yesterday at an indoor free fitting that I'd organise with a guy from a golf store.

I couldn't get the ball off the ground, I just couldn't hit the ball inside off the mats and every shot was terrible.

I kept trying to tell him "I'm usually better than this" - I'm sure he hears that all the time.

Then other guys came in and were watching me too and it was even worse....

Got nothing out of it, cause none of my shots represented my actual game out on course or even at an outdoor range.

Anyone ever experienced this? I'm really worried because I've already booked a propper paid iron fitting with the intention to purchase a new set of irons, but I'm not confident at all that I can hit inside that represents my actual swing, and what is the point of a club fitting if on the day the shots I'm hitting are nothing like what happens out on course?

For example today he might have tried to fit me for topping shots that don't get off the ground, when in reality, that is not my problem at all when out on course.
What shoes did you wear?

Unfortunately not, this guy's fitting hub is set up in a shed.

Hitting into a screen is also not fun. There's something about seeing out into the distance and a target that helps my swing, I lose that indoors and I don't get to see the true ball flight properly for feedback for the next shot.

Fitting centres like Mizuno unfortunately have you hitting off mats. You could call up tiltleist or callaway for example and ask if it’s available on grass.

Had an embarrassing experience yesterday at an indoor free fitting that I'd organise with a guy from a golf store.

I couldn't get the ball off the ground, I just couldn't hit the ball inside off the mats and every shot was terrible.

I kept trying to tell him "I'm usually better than this" - I'm sure he hears that all the time.

Then other guys came in and were watching me too and it was even worse....

Got nothing out of it, cause none of my shots represented my actual game out on course or even at an outdoor range.

Anyone ever experienced this? I'm really worried because I've already booked a propper paid iron fitting with the intention to purchase a new set of irons, but I'm not confident at all that I can hit inside that represents my actual swing, and what is the point of a club fitting if on the day the shots I'm hitting are nothing like what happens out on course?

For example today he might have tried to fit me for topping shots that don't get off the ground, when in reality, that is not my problem at all when out on course.
I'm not sure it overly matters how you hit the ball does it? A fitting is more, well just that, fitting clubs to your height(shaft length), swing speed (flex) and head angle(posture). The type of head (blade etc) is really your choice/preference.

I'm not sure it overly matters how you hit the ball does it? A fitting is more, well just that, fitting clubs to your height(shaft length), swing speed (flex) and head angle(posture). The type of head (blade etc) is really your choice/preference.
It matters a lot

Your swing will change sub consciously based on how the ball is being hit

It matters a lot

Fair enough. I would've thought that the fundamentals of the club specs wouldn't be altered by the swing your putting on the ball. Your height is your height and your swing speed your swing speed. The fact that your not hitting the middle of the club has more to do with your swing (technique) than the club(?). I might ask at my pro shop.

It matters a lot

Yep, not only that but I don't want to get fit for a problem I don't have.
For example the other day, I just couldn't get the ball in the air off the mat, so the fitter probably thinks, okay this guy needs something with super high launch that is super easy to get up in the air, and primarily that's the problem he is trying to solve. When in reality that is not my problem at all on course, if anything I hit clubs with high loft/flippy hands that go a bit too high, and the real problem might be a slice bias. But because I couldn't really replicate my standard shot, the fitter doesn't consider solving the problem of a slice.

Stuff like that is my concern, and as toxic said, when I hit a bad shot, the next one I will adjust and it probably isn't a real reflection.

I've since calmed down a bit, and ultimately I think it will be fine if I have enough common swings and I can ask him to fit to those, rather than the bad ones that aren't representative.

Yep, not only that but I don't want to get fit for a problem I don't have.
For example the other day, I just couldn't get the ball in the air off the mat, so the fitter probably thinks, okay this guy needs something with super high launch that is super easy to get up in the air, and primarily that's the problem he is trying to solve. When in reality that is not my problem at all on course, if anything I hit clubs with high loft/flippy hands that go a bit too high, and the real problem might be a slice bias. But because I couldn't really replicate my standard shot, the fitter doesn't consider solving the problem of a slice.

Stuff like that is my concern, and as toxic said, when I hit a bad shot, the next one I will adjust and it probably isn't a real reflection.

I've since calmed down a bit, and ultimately I think it will be fine if I have enough common swings and I can ask him to fit to those, rather than the bad ones that aren't representative.
To me, none of the issues you’ve described will be solved by a club fitting. Flippy hands or a slice are not due to the club in your hands.

To me, none of the issues you’ve described will be solved by a club fitting. Flippy hands or a slice are not due to the club in your hands.
I'm playing with irons that are bent (kinked) down the middle lol.
I'm not expecting a club fitting to fix technique, but just that the clubs that get prescribed are based on my actual swing tendancies on course, whatever that looks like.

If a club fitting is just based on physical specs, then a fitting would take all of 5 minutes to measure up and prescribe. Different head/shaft combos will give different results though, I've seen it myself.

I'm playing with irons that are bent (kinked) down the middle lol.
I'm not expecting a club fitting to fix technique, but just that the clubs that get prescribed are based on my actual swing tendancies on course, whatever that looks like.

If a club fitting is just based on physical specs, then a fitting would take all of 5 minutes to measure up and prescribe. Different head/shaft combos will give different results though, I've seen it myself.
A true fitting will go through a lot

Grip size and configuration
Shaft, length and strength
Head position etc

If/when you find a club you "flush" leave it aside - don't let anyone touch it
Try other clubs / combo's

Then come back to the flusher and see

Most of all have fun - golf's meant to be fun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think turf interaction plays a huge part in club fitting, which is why hitting off turf makes a significant difference. As said before, mats are more forgiving in that a fat shot can still look OK.

For example the other day, I just couldn't get the ball in the air off the mat, so the fitter probably thinks, okay this guy needs something with super high launch that is super easy to get up in the air, and primarily that's the problem he is trying to solve.
Excuse my ignorance but how is something that is super high launch going to help eradicate topped shots?

Just spent an hour trying out the new Cobra LTDx driver at Drummonds.
Was hitting consistently 15-20mts further than my 4 yr old Callaway Rogue driver.
Needless to say, i bought it. Cant wait to get it out on course...maybe a sneaky 9 holes tonight.
Did you hit anything else?

Did you hit anything else?
No, watched hours of reviews and comparisons. Had my heart set on it.
I got the one with the Navy Blue crown which looks heaps better than the Gold/orange model.
As i have the SL Cobra irons, i've become a bit of Cobra fan.
Only difference is now i'm using a stiff shaft for the first time, which takes a bit of getting used to.
My clubhead speed was ave 105 mph, and Drummonds said anything over 95mph should consider stiff shaft...so i'm giving it a go.

No, watched hours of reviews and comparisons. Had my heart set on it.
I got the one with the Navy Blue crown which looks heaps better than the Gold/orange model.
As i have the SL Cobra irons, i've become a bit of Cobra fan.
Only difference is now i'm using a stiff shaft for the first time, which takes a bit of getting used to.
My clubhead speed was ave 105 mph, and Drummonds said anything over 95mph should consider stiff shaft...so i'm giving it a go.
The right shaft makes a massive difference imho

Anyone used this before:

It's the tour striker ball you put in between your arms to practice feel and connection. I tried it the other day and found some success, but is it the same thing as finding a semi soft ball for $10 from Kmart and using that instead?

It wouldn't have the loop around the neck, but I wonder if that's important to the feel?

Anyone used this before:

It's the tour striker ball you put in between your arms to practice feel and connection. I tried it the other day and found some success, but is it the same thing as finding a semi soft ball for $10 from Kmart and using that instead?

It wouldn't have the loop around the neck, but I wonder if that's important to the feel?
A partially deflated similar sized ball works just as well..but falls to the ground. Great product.

The pro that owns tour striker...Chuck Martin talks a lot about holding the club with "volley ball arms". Imagine how your arms are if you were to pop a volleyball up for someone to spike it. He says to do your swing from start to finish with that feeling (keep them connected and in front of your chest). The ball squeezed in your forearms gives that feeling.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back