Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming you hit fades or straight balls?
Draw/straight is standard. Pull hook is my bad one. There is an occasional push to the right which can have a gentle fade. My kid filming probably has his phone down my feet line instead of being a bit closer to down the ball line...which makes look like I cut across it a bit.

Last edited:
Draw/straight is standard. Pull hook is my bad one. There is an occasional push to the right which can have a gentle fade.
I'm no swing expert so feel free to ignore

There's a point in your swing where your wrists take the club up, rather than continuing back in an arc.
However at the high point you have a hitch move that puts the club back on a good plane

In my head the above makes sense

I tried to pause and take a screenshot

Screenshot_20220111-211925_Brave.jpg

I'm no swing expert so feel free to ignore

There's a point in your swing where your wrists take the club up, rather than continuing back in an arc.
However at the high point you have a hitch move that puts the club back on a good plane

In my head the above makes sense

I tried to pause and take a screenshot

View attachment 1309283
Spot on...it is the only way I can shallow it a bit (the hitch move you are referring to)...the shaft is vertical like Furyk (bit like holding an umbrella). If I go on a more normal route I tend to get way under plane in the initial takeaway and the club comes in way too steep at impact. If that makes sense. I will post one with a more normal path.

The more standard swing (got a club resting on my bum so I am pivoting well and not swaying or moving towards the ball too much).
Could be the camera angle

Interesting correlation between feet alignment and ball flight.
Your lead/front/left foot is very square which I'm guessing gives you the higher follow through.

Ball strike looked to be solid as

Screenshot_20220111-213816_Brave.jpg

What are you working on?
Mate where do I start? My action was terrible after a year of so little golf.

Club miles open at the top and completing basically the whole swing with my weight on my toes. My grip had gotten very weak as well and was standing too close to the ball. Got to "round out" the whole swing better and get the club exiting more left (rather than up and out of the ball).

A lot of work to do!

21 points today!

From the putting discussion on the other thread.
Years ago I read this guys book, or some cricket version. Inner Game Techniques For Tennis
The thing I remember is that our brains already know how to do most things without thinking (walking for example). My take is that when I practice 'too hard', my brain now knows what too hard is. Too soft is the same. Then I just let my brain hit a putt it thinks is right based on 'too hard/soft'.
For putts under 3ft or that you don't have worry about pace (6ft straight uphill) I have one thought. Hit the middle of the ball with the middle of the club. Pace doesn't matter. Just hit the middle of the ball with the middle of the club. That's all I think about.
3-10ft are the hardest. These are the putts you have to make. Obviously a mix between the too thoughts. Really try to see the ball going in during practice then once over the ball it's all about technique/putting a good stroke on. Don't grip the club very tight. Hold it like you're holding some eggs. A tight grip does not make for straight or well weighted putts.

100 ball range session yesterday arvo, slice city.

Really frustrating as that hasn't really been my miss or shape in recent times where I've been in good form relative to my level and playing better than my handicap.

The slice is such a dreaded miss and has plagued me since I started, particularly with the driver and woods which are basically unplayable on a narrow fairway.

I still always swing best when my entire body is loose and tension free (but not limp/weak), and I swing the club in a circle. E.g. it doesn't really matter what plane I take it back and down with, as long as that plane is the same in backswing and follow through (like a circle), that's when the ball goes straight.

100 ball range session yesterday arvo, slice city.

Really frustrating as that hasn't really been my miss or shape in recent times where I've been in good form relative to my level and playing better than my handicap.

The slice is such a dreaded miss and has plagued me since I started, particularly with the driver and woods which are basically unplayable on a narrow fairway.

I still always swing best when my entire body is loose and tension free (but not limp/weak), and I swing the club in a circle. E.g. it doesn't really matter what plane I take it back and down with, as long as that plane is the same in backswing and follow through (like a circle), that's when the ball goes straight.

Keep your eyes open for a bargain…..

SLICE CITY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need some advice golfing legends.

I've been playing for 2-3 years, but never really truly improved. E.g. scores of around 100 when I began, are still scores of around 100.

One of the reasons, is I never really committed to lessons, even though I had them in the past. Like I would try something in a lesson, but it would be all too hard and not succesful at the range, and then I would scrap it for what "works" and was easier. When I say what works, it was a swing that allowed me to play and get around on course, but it created really bad habits and problems like a massive slice, terrible impact position (huge flip), and a host of other contact problems (all proven when I had a pro video and show me my swing in slow motion).

By chance I had two lessons with different golf pros over the last week.
Both of them focussed on different things, 1 was easier in the short term, the other was a complete rip apart of my swing, but I feel it could be better in the long term. I also liked the tech of the guy with the long term and he explained things really well on video.

Sadly the guy I liked better, is significantly more expensive than other lessons I've had.

I could also give my original coach a go, he is a great guy, but I never really improved long term (a lot of it my fault though because I often gave up on his drills cause they didn't work quickly).

I'm going to have to commit to being crappy for a while and patient while I build this swing though, which I've never really done.

Has anyone had a similar experience where they almost completely rebuilt their golf swing after playing for a while, and had to commit to a down period in order for short term pain long term gain?

I've been playing for 2-3 years, but never really truly improved. E.g. scores of around 100 when I began, are still scores of around 100.

One of the reasons, is I never really committed to lessons, even though I had them in the past. Like I would try something in a lesson, but it would be all too hard and not succesful at the range, and then I would scrap it for what "works" and was easier. When I say what works, it was a swing that allowed me to play and get around on course, but it created really bad habits and problems like a massive slice, terrible impact position (huge flip), and a host of other contact problems (all proven when I had a pro video and show me my swing in slow motion).

Both of them focussed on different things, 1 was easier in the short term, the other was a complete rip apart of my swing, but I feel it could be better in the long term. I also liked the tech of the guy with the long term and he explained things really well on video.

Sadly the guy I liked better, is significantly more expensive than other lessons I've had.

I could also give my original coach a go, he is a great guy, but I never really improved long term (a lot of it my fault though because I often gave up on his drills cause they didn't work quickly).

I'm going to have to commit to being crappy for a while and patient while I build this swing though, which I've never really done.

Has anyone had a similar experience where they almost completely rebuilt their golf swing after playing for a while, and had to commit to a down period in order for short term pain long term gain?
Purely depends on what your golf goals are

Personally I've never had a lesson in my life and although i may be an absolute hacker I enjoy the challenge of trying to get better on my own.

Are you a member at a club? That would be my suggestion. Join a club, play more golf. Improve naturally and be more aware of course management than having the perfect swing, throw in an odd lesson to fine tune a few things from time to time if you want.

Depends on how good you want to become.

I’ve never had a lesson in my life and have improved through playing consistently over a number of years (HC has come down from a self-imposed 14 to 5.8).

I feel I could get down to scratch with lessons but I wouldn’t enjoy the game any more than I already do.

How well do you know your game in terms of scoring? A par 4 gives 2 shots to get on the green and 2 putts. Where are you dropping most shots?
Practice putting until you have <36 putts per round consistently, this will greatly reduce your score. For the next month, practice 5 footers until you don't miss them.
After this, 7i up is what you should practice at the range. Forget the driver. 1 hour at the range should be 30 mins 7i<, 15mins chipping and 15 mins putting.
The driving will come don't worry too much about it.
Don't read golf magazines. I can not stress this enough. Their tips and tricks will destroy your brain.
If you must read something, Ben Hogan's 5 tips is fantastic.
Keep your influences to a minimum. Don't keep searching for the golden elixir of golf swing solutions.
There's a fantastic Seve Ballesteros video in Dubai in the early 90's, with nothing there but the golf course. Its quite sereal. And he talks about chipping and bunker play. He's arguably the greatest short game exponent ever. Read and listen to what he says. It's incredibly simple.
If you practice 7i through wedges, chipping and putting for the next 6 months, you'll be shooting low 90's by summer.

Gee Ronald McDonald (it's Payne Stewart) gets into a decent position. How's the 80s version of trackman.

275675206_10160052818253729_6868745522626554691_n.jpg

Interesting post Juss.

I can tell from the tone of your post (and your other posts) that you have a desire to get a lot better and are prepared to invest time into making this happen.

Reading between the lines the reason you haven't improved are 1) difficulty in committing to a single source of instruction whilst block out everyone and everything else 2) persisting with your plan in spite of poor results and 3) a reluctance to spend the (not insignificant) dollars for top quality individualised instruction.

The book you should read is The Golf Of Your Dreams by Dr Bob Rotella. It really addresses every point and question you have posed above.

I think it's his finest book and after reading it 20 odd years ago I've tried to follow its lessons ever since. Started on ~13 handicap and have gotten down to as low as 5 (now 8). Have had the same coach for 15 years. Hoping to get back to low single digits again at age 52 with some more commitment.

All the best.

Interesting post Juss.

I can tell from the tone of your post (and your other posts) that you have a desire to get a lot better and are prepared to invest time into making this happen.

Reading between the lines the reason you haven't improved are 1) difficulty in committing to a single source of instruction whilst block out everyone and everything else 2) persisting with your plan in spite of poor results and 3) a reluctance to spend the (not insignificant) dollars for top quality individualised instruction.

The book you should read is The Golf Of Your Dreams by Dr Bob Rotella. It really addresses every point and question you have posed above.

I think it's his finest book and after reading it 20 odd years ago I've tried to follow its lessons ever since. Started on ~13 handicap and have gotten down to as low as 5 (now 8). Have had the same coach for 15 years. Hoping to get back to low single digits again at age 52 with some more commitment.

All the best.
The bolded is absolutely right. Something I still continue to struggle with is committing to that "one" instructor/plan.

"What if there's someone/something better?" - The brain thinks.

I had a lesson yesterday with a third coach, as a trial again. I think I'll stick with him, but again my overanalysis and brain is holding me back more than any physical capability or limitations.

There was a little 40 year old asian lady, I could have lifted her and thrown her down the fairway she was so small, yet she had a better, more consistant swing than me. It's all in the mindset, not the physical for me.

Dr Bob Rotella is great, I have read "Golf is not a game of perfect" - Is it similar to that?

The bolded is absolutely right. Something I still continue to struggle with is committing to that "one" instructor/plan.

"What if there's someone/something better?" - The brain thinks.

I had a lesson yesterday with a third coach, as a trial again. I think I'll stick with him, but again my overanalysis and brain is holding me back more than any physical capability or limitations.

There was a little 40 year old asian lady, I could have lifted her and thrown her down the fairway she was so small, yet she had a better, more consistant swing than me. It's all in the mindset, not the physical for me.

Dr Bob Rotella is great, I have read "Golf is not a game of perfect" - Is it similar to that?
I can relate. Took me ages to agonise over the "perfect" coach, the "perfect" clubs etc. I suspect we are wired a bit the same way.

Ultimately I came to the realisation that with improvement it's 90% the student and 10% the coach. I'm sure any of these pros you're working with could eventually have you scoring in the 70's with dedicated, focused effort on your part.

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect is a brilliant book which deals (largely) with getting out of your way whilst playing (a fair challenge in itself).

In a sea of materials focused on instruction The Golf Of Your Dreams is quite unique in being a book totally dedicated to the process of improvement. Specifically it details the steps required to move from average golf to scratch golf (or near to it). As an example there's actually a chapter in there on selecting the right coach.

Highly recommended for the issues you're grappling with.

I can relate. Took me ages to agonise over the "perfect" coach, the "perfect" clubs etc. I suspect we are wired a bit the same way.

Ultimately I came to the realisation that with improvement it's 90% the student and 10% the coach. I'm sure any of these pros you're working with could eventually have you scoring in the 70's with dedicated, focused effort on your part.

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect is a brilliant book which deals (largely) with getting out of your way whilst playing (a fair challenge in itself).

In a sea of materials focused on instruction The Golf Of Your Dreams is quite unique in being a book totally dedicated to the process of improvement. Specifically it details the steps required to move from average golf to scratch golf (or near to it). As an example there's actually a chapter in there on selecting the right coach.

Highly recommended for the issues you're grappling with.

I enjoy these sorts of books, will shop around for a deal thanks for the recommendation 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back