Golf Golf technique

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
For those interested in the golf swing technique I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can post tips, advice that has worked for you, swing thoughts, where and when you have a lesson and as a result what you need to work on. Also video your swing and post it (I have know idea how to do that btw), for those in the know to make comment on good/bad and the ugly!

Over the last 20 years I must have seen at least 10 different pros. I see Rohan Dummett at MGA at the moment, but not that often.

My biggest problems over the years is that adrenaline rush through my body when I hit the ball. I can make a decent practice swing....video it and it looks good...but when I hit a ball it is different (especially wanting to smash the ball with Driver in hand). I tend to make a too long backswing....with a cupped (not flat) left wrist at the top. And it is hard to come back from there. Right now I have shortened the backswing (to parallel or just short of it), flattened my left wrist. I am making a move from there where I literally put my right elbow onto my right hip to start the down swing. It seems to be working. I am doing it at home very regularly into my hitting net and will be very interested to see if it translates to on course. It feels good. I can see with driver that I am finding the centre of the club nearly every time.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
How high does everyone have the ball on a tee when using the Big Dog? I have it reasonably low. Probably 4cm off the deck.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
My dispersion is too inconsistent and exaggerated if I have it too high.
For some reason it went ok with my Callaway FT9....10.5 degree, reg shaft. Not with my Titleist TS2 stiff, 9.5 degree. No idea why though. I actually went under the ball a few times and marked the new club before I adjusted and got used to a normal height. Also I am hitting into the net at home...and God forbid me skying a ball 200 m into someones house. Not risking it.

Last edited:

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
For some reason it went ok with my Callaway FT9....10.5 degree, reg shaft. Not with my Titleist TS2 stiff, 9.5 degree. No idea why though. I actually went under the ball a few times and marked the new club.
I’m the same with my Wilson Staff C300 driver. I teed it up higher with my previous driver, Wilson Staff FG Tour 5, before it was replaced because of a crack across the crown of the club.

How high does everyone have the ball on a tee when using the Big Dog? I have it reasonably low. Probably 4cm off the deck.
4cm to the bottom or centre of a the ball?
I reckon I'm about 6-7cm to centre of ball
With a 3 wood it's off the deck
Par 3s, off the deck
Driver is only club I tee up

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Probably half the ball above the crown of the driver.

My biggest problems over the years is that adrenaline rush through my body when I hit the ball. I can make a decent practice swing....video it and it looks good...but when I hit a ball it is different (especially wanting to smash the ball with Driver in hand). I tend to make a too long backswing....with a cupped (not flat) left wrist at the top. And it is hard to come back from there. Right now I have shortened the backswing (to parallel or just short of it), flattened my left wrist. I am making a move from there where I literally put my right elbow onto my right hip to start the down swing. It seems to be working. I am doing it at home very regularly into my hitting net and will be very interested to see if it translates to on course. It feels good. I can see with driver that I am finding the centre of the club nearly every time.

This is what I try to do most times.

• Driver: wide takeaway, hip rotation, extend arms and club through the ball on impact.
  • Irons: weight mostly on front foot, swing around the body and try to hit turf after the ball.
  • Chipping: weight on front foot, ball on front foot, hands always in front of the club. Maintain speed through the downswing.
  • Putting: open stance, take time to read the break and grass. Putting is very much a feel thing for me.

Course management:
  • Hit away from the danger - bunkers, water, heavy rough.
  • Don't leave yourself short sided for chipping and pitching - try and give yourself a flat chip or pitch with plenty of green to work with.
  • Don't chase pins, just get it on the green.
  • Work back from the pin and play to your most comfortable distance - e.g. if you love hitting a 120m 8 iron, hit shots that will leave you with 120 left.
  • Be realistic with your distances.
4cm to the bottom or centre of a the ball?
I reckon I'm about 6-7cm to centre of ball
With a 3 wood it's off the deck
Par 3s, off the deck
Driver is only club I tee up

I'm the same except re: off the deck, but I might use a tee for some par 3s, usually the longer ones. The tee is basically pushed all the way down, so the ball is just above the ground.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This is what I try to do most times.

• Driver: wide takeaway, hip rotation, extend arms and club through the ball on impact.
  • Irons: weight mostly on front foot, swing around the body and try to hit turf after the ball.
  • Chipping: weight on front foot, ball on front foot, hands always in front of the club. Maintain speed through the downswing.
  • Putting: open stance, take time to read the break and grass. Putting is very much a feel thing for me.

Course management:
  • Hit away from the danger - bunkers, water, heavy rough.
  • Don't leave yourself short sided for chipping and pitching - try and give yourself a flat chip or pitch with plenty of green to work with.
  • Don't chase pins, just get it on the green.
  • Work back from the pin and play to your most comfortable distance - e.g. if you love hitting a 120m 8 iron, hit shots that will leave you with 120 left.
  • Be realistic with your distances.
Interesting. I will do this if I am playing a high shot...but my go to option now is mostly having the ball off the back foot (weight mostly on front foot), delofting the club and using more of a putting action. Low bump and run that spins and grips. I mainly use my 56 degree wedge.

Whats your home course and handicap out of interest? You sound like a golfer in control of their game that plays at a decent level. Course management stuff is gold.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Interesting. I will do this if I am playing a high shot...but my go to option now is mostly having the ball off the back foot (weight mostly on front foot), delofting the club and using more of a putting action. Low bump and run that spins and grips. I mainly use my 56 degree wedge.
You have little margin for error using that technique as you are eliminating the bounce on the 56 deg wedge with all that forward shaft lean.

Watch Luke Donald's tips of the day he's been running through lockdown on Instagram for the correct technique. They are really good. Or any of Brett Rumford's stuff.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
ScrappyCoCo really interested in your opening post talking about your swing looking good on video in lessons but when you take it out on course or try to hit balls you struggle to maintain this action.

Here's a great interview with Pete Cowen - coach to Westwood, Stenson, Woodland etc where he talks about one of the things that made Ben Hogan great. The use of "dry drills" - meaning constant rehearsal of drills and swinging without hitting a ball.

Reckon we'll look back one day and think the Covid period was the best time ever to work on a swing mechanics change.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Great thread.

I feel like I have *just found my iron backswing, one piece, keep the arms connected and move the torso as one til the club is parallel to ground, and then lift the arms.

It's the downswing that I rush, throwing the arms too early and it's too jerky and quick rather than smooth and long with power to the ball. It's like I'm trying to hit the ball hard, rather than hit through the ball hard.

I use a lot of YouTube videos, but the problem is they all vouch for different advice, and knowing which to follow creates more confusion than good when your swing incorporates 500 different thoughts.

*it will probably break down next time I play...

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Secondly, ball position does my head in.
Same ball position each club? How far forward for a PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, Hybrid 3/4?

About the only two ball positions I'm comfortable with is inside heel for a driver, and just a half inch left of centre for irons, but many people advocate moving the ball forward for each club.

Second one is weight transfer, there's a lot of school of thought now in YouTube instruction that favouring weight on the front foot is key at beginning and through the swing and finish, rather than a huge weight transfer.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Secondly, ball position does my head in.
Same ball position each club? How far forward for a PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, Hybrid 3/4?

About the only two ball positions I'm comfortable with is inside heel for a driver, and just a half inch left of centre for irons, but many people advocate moving the ball forward for each club.

Second one is weight transfer, there's a lot of school of thought now in YouTube instruction that favouring weight on the front foot is key at beginning and through the swing and finish, rather than a huge weight transfer.
I would keep it simple until you are shooting consistent good scores..something like...just inside left foot for driver and middle for everything else. Be very precise with this. I place my club face in behind the ball on the line I want. Then move my body and feet into position. Feet together to start...I move my left (front) foot first...just a tad for driver, more for irons..then set my back foot. Routine.....It is very important.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
ScrappyCoCo really interested in your opening post talking about your swing looking good on video in lessons but when you take it out on course or try to hit balls you struggle to maintain this action.

Here's a great interview with Pete Cowen - coach to Westwood, Stenson, Woodland etc where he talks about one of the things that made Ben Hogan great. The use of "dry drills" - meaning constant rehearsal of drills and swinging without hitting a ball.

Reckon we'll look back one day and think the Covid period was the best time ever to work on a swing mechanics change.

I'm at work and will have a gander later today.

I am actually as confident right now as I ever have been as I think I might have resolved some problems.

Hitting on the course hardly allows for swing changes as the pressure to post a decent score is real, and old habits take over.

I find the same at the range. I find it hard to hit say... 300 rubbish balls whilst trying to grove something. Seeing the ball gives real info on what is happening and when you know you can hit it well...but with some inconsistency. You tend to eventually make compensations to get a result of some sort with out achieving much.

But I might have cracked it. Hitting into my net at home... Maybe 3 times a day for 20 minutes plus.. Moving through a range of clubs. Must have hit 1000 balls this week. Getting a bit of feedback...was it in the middle or a miss hit. I know I am on plane more and hitting a few key positions in my back swing... Which has been my problem over the years. Flushing a lot more balls. Shortened back swing ( not seeing club out of corner of my left eye at the top) . Flatter wrist etc.

So excited to take it to the course. Probably come home deflated. Lol.

Also i used to coach table tennis for a living.. And in my experience there were 2 types of players. The first could take instruction and do it straight away and in control... And the others took ages to do something simple. Thinking they were but in reality not. I think I fit into that second group a bit.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
You have little margin for error using that technique as you are eliminating the bounce on the 56 deg wedge with all that forward shaft lean.

Watch Luke Donald's tips of the day he's been running through lockdown on Instagram for the correct technique. They are really good. Or any of Brett Rumford's stuff.
Yeah I will have a look.

I have always been good on short shots around the green...in the early days with a higher soft shot, but later got a bit obsessed with low, spin type shots and lost my feel or confidence a tad with the higher...more conventional shot. Also using the 56 degree as there was (no longer) a big gap in my bag between pw and that club. I see players do the low shot with clubs like 8 irons but I do not quite have the feel and hit a bit far.

I will say that I have some rounds with very good putting stats...and those shots are a big factor. Chipping to within 5 feet and making putts.

However. I do struggle when it is wet like now with club sticking on chips (it can be a 50/50 prospect), infuriating, and will start putting if it is too wet.

Thanks for the advice...something else to work on haha!

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whats your home course and handicap out of interest? You sound like a golfer in control of their game that plays at a decent level. Course management stuff is gold.

Handicap is still pretty high (in the 20s) since I've only been playing seriously for about a year. The course management stuff is what I have picked up from talking to other more experienced players. Some of these players don't play in comps and only play for fun, so their approach to golf is what will give them the most enjoyment (hitting their favourite shots, keeping the ball in play etc).

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Handicap is still pretty high (in the 20s) since I've only been playing seriously for about a year. The course management stuff is what I have picked up from talking to other more experienced players. Some of these players don't play in comps and only play for fun, so their approach to golf is what will give them the most enjoyment (hitting their favourite shots, keeping the ball in play etc).
Well, you seem to have an experienced golf head on your shoulders. I would have taken a guess that you were closer to single figures. Keep playing with those guys...You will improve quickly being around decent players and be in the teens in no time.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting...Phil says pitch of your back foot (to go low)...or your front foot or more(to go high). Never in the middle.

Weight always on leading foot closest to target.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I try and do that , I'm just too wristy with my front foot chips, end up knifing one in three.
Very frustrating
If you really want or need to play a flop shot you have no choice but to flip your wrists and let them go...danger!

I also thought it was interesting how he said just lift your club and let it fall on to the back of the ball. I never really thought of it like that. Tried it in the back yard and was going ok, both high and low.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Interesting...Phil says pitch of your back foot (to go low)...or your front foot or more(to go high). Never in the middle.
By way of contrast here is the greatest player in the history of the game pitching from where appears to be smack bang off middle (with minimal if any forward shaft lean - which Phil said is another no no).

Back