Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Even tonight he still hit those laser passes.....just missed others
Yeah, but how many of those laser passes resulted in Crows' goals? One?
That cancels out the nightmare pass lace out to Stephenson and = zero nett effect, unfortunately.
I'm a huge Smithers fan, but that kick ... :grimacing:

Crows players who have had 10 or more clearances in a single match at least once in the last 3 years:

Rory Sloane - 5 times
Brad Crouch - 2 times
Hugh Greenwood - 1 time
Bryce Gibbs - 1 time
Rory Laird - 1 time

Notable omission: Matt Crouch

I think you'd be surprised how many times both Crouch and Keays fed the ball to Laird by hand at centre and stoppage clearances...
Contested possessions:

Laird 17
Keays 10
MCrouch 8

Matt was not good. What's the point in a player who doesn't win contests, and when he gets it he can gain 8.5 metres per possession at 62 percent efficiency?

This is exactly how the coaches fked up Tex's game. Now looks like they're going down the same track with Fog.
It's purely reactionary coaching. Like they don't realise they can force the oppo to react to certain things as well.

Might be a void of independent thought

Haven't we learnt our lesson yet? Lever-knee went home due to repated calls to leave SA for more money in VIC. Gunston mummy's boy and money. If we take Hollands and Phillips there will be at least 8 Vic teams climbing all over them to return either end of 1 st year or OOC after 2. Take Thilthorpe, drop the #2 pick down a bit and get an extra pick next draft on top. Then take a Mid with the next 2 picks. Later the 3 SA lads linked to us.
No club in their right mind is going to trade out of next year's draft especially those club's that look like they'll finish in the bottom half of the ladder in 2021.

Hollands doesn't have the same pull of Melbourne city as the most of the top end Vic Metro boys....his family live in Albury-Wadonga.

Also lines through Walker, Himmelberg, and McHenry.

Walker is 100% cooked, the only time he doesn't look done is in the quarters where his man gets a bit lax - Walker still has that bag of tricks he can delve into when there is space, but he can't do the bread and butter stuff anymore.

Himmelberg may be able to get to the right spots, but he has a terminal case of the Luke Jerichos, and a 2 metre tall ruck-forward cannot play delicate, it has to be muscle and bulldozer, especially when you don't have the leg speed to be a lead up target.

McHenry doesn't look like a player in any way, shape, or form. What happened to the U18 player? Where did he go? Was he never really there at all?
Everything NT Rabbit said is true!

Contested possessions:

Laird 17
Keays 10
MCrouch 8

Matt was not good. What's the point in a player who doesn't win contests, and when he gets it he can gain 8.5 metres per possession at 62 percent efficiency?
Damning. He along with laird was another who really thrived under that Pyke 'take on the kick but kick within your limits' game plan in 16-17. They're both shells of that since then

Matty was putrid again tonight. He just does nothing that advantages the team, gets it but there’s just nothing creative whatsoever.

Effort is there but he’s fallen off a cliff, totally devoid of confidence which you can see in his movement
Sorry Pete I'm not biting any more on anything you say regarding either Crouch...don't waste your energy hitting the keyboard.

No club in their right mind is going to trade out of next year's draft especially those club's that look like they'll finish in the bottom half of the ladder in 2021.

Hollands doesn't have the same pull of Melbourne city as the most of the top end Vic Metro boys....his family live in Albury-Wadonga.
And his dad lived and played in Adelaide right?

To be honest, probably the most positives I've been able to take away from any of our games this season.

- Our midfield battled pretty well.
- Backline was moving it quickly, switching from side to side and hitting most of their kicks. This is with the likes of Sholl and McPherson adding some quality kickers. Think when we add Milera to that list and Hamill, we'll have some genuine run and carry along with foot skills.
- Forwards a bit rough outside of Himmelberg and some flashes from McAdam and Stengle.

Good:

Laird - Don't need to say anything really but hey, Nicks can put it down as a win finally. He's been able to change a position and get something out of a guy who has otherwise been struggling. Much prefer his kicking in the midfield compared to when we try move it out of the defensive 50.

Smith - Yeah, a couple of his kicks really hurt and cost some huge momentum. But overall, he had a pretty strong game and was aggressive in his movements.

Doedee - He has had an amazing return from the ACL. He's the perfect defender, can man his man, comes in over the top and marks it, willing to take the game on and is a decent kick. Shame about the hammy, hopefully it's tightness again and we give him a longer rest this time around.

Himmelberg - From a guy that I'd have given no chance to hang around and didn't see the point in bringing him back a few weeks ago, his last two games have shown a lot. He's taken some really strong marks in the forward line, crashed packs and gives us the chop out in the ruck we do need.

Sholl - Looks lively around the ground and saw him kick off either foot with confidence which is great to see. Hopefully he keeps building on it and we stick with him.

McPherson - He looks like quite a solidly built player, guess that's one perk of always having hamstring/groin/soft tissue injuries, he's spent his time in the gym. Again, he's another guy that has confidence in his kick in the defensive half which is so refreshing from having 4-5 guys that don't.

Mackay - Hate to say it as I don't agree with him playing but he played a pretty strong game I thought.

Rob - Love seeing him psyching himself up. Someone should probably teach him how to handball it though instead of punching it! I think he just worries about moving it asap where he could probably do with a little more composure and back his strength to take a tackler on for half a second. Then again, most rucks are pretty clutsy so yeah...

Stengle - Nice crumbing, looks willing to back himself and move if he gets the chance and working up the ground helps get a few extra touches which is needed.

McAdam - Took a ripping mark and both kicks on goal were straight (one fell short). Seems a little soft as a player though where he's a bit too focused on hunting for frees where he should just focus on the game and let the frees find him. Always seems to get hurt a few times a game, feel like Lynch was like that at one point too.

Poor:

Tex - Competed well in the air, brought it to ground which is half the battle however his kicking killed his work. Smothered twice which has always been an issue of his game, it's a shame as you know you're going to get a decent kick most the time when he looks to push it forward aggressively, the but is whether he can avoid getting smothered...

Fog - Just not around it. Feel like Himmelberg was our focus tonight which was well deserved but needs to push up the ground more and present as a target to get more involved. The one time he did get to jump into it was great as he cleaned up two guys in the process, we just need to find a way to give him a chance. I'm not sure I buy into the fact that him and Walker can't play together, they're not exactly running into each other or taking the space of the other.

McHenry - What's our goal with him as a player? I just don't see where he fits on the ground, he doesn't really seem to have much goal sense, doesn't find much of it and doesn't seem elite by foot. He looks ready to crash into the opposition which is nice to see, but we need more.
Yes this is pretty much how I saw it. Expectations are so low that I am feeling positive about a 38-62 loss with -12 inside 50s despite a lineup with an average age of 24 years 9 months, at home, to the 8th placed team missing most of their good players.

On McHenry, I think what he does, or at least what he will do when he has some muscle on his frame, is win contests at ground level and use it cleanly. Midfielder / half forward. Tonight he had 6 contested possessions, that's 2 fewer than Matt Crouch. I think he's okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be genuinely interested if someone looked through the tape and saw how often Tex and Fogarty were within 5 meters of each other.

He looked much better in prior seasons as a deep lead up forward that others create space for. Not a contested marking forward that Walker tries and outmarks (one-handed) all over the ground
What do you expect with the clueless forward coach we have

Luke turning into the type of player we have a lot of in my opinion, but I won't mind us taking him if he nominates.

Truthfully,I'd be happy to take two mids from this draft and trade heavily into the 21 draft. It's a crap shoot this year and the Vic kids will be underdone. Not the draft to have high picks in my opinion.
Luckily we'll have high picks for a few years to come

Matty was putrid again tonight. He just does nothing that advantages the team, gets it but there’s just nothing creative whatsoever.

Effort is there but he’s fallen off a cliff, totally devoid of confidence which you can see in his movement
Thought he was better tonight. Was definitely more emphasis on kicking than handballing. Kicking accuracy still needs work tho. Stuck some tackles too.

At least 4 of the Pie goals in the second half were snaps at goal while under no pressure at all. Time to turn, balance up and ping through the big sticks. They can thank Crows defenders for their 10.2
And most of those happened because we kicked it directly to them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back