Grand Final to played in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Because women's state leagues are in operation at that time. The idea of an early season was so once the AFLW season wrapped up, the players could go back to their home clubs.

That's true, that is one of the reasons for the timing of the new AFL Women's, but in the long run, as more and more AFL clubs enter a team, it follows that the women's comp will need to extend further and further into the footy season, even if they still start in Feb (which I think is a good idea for a lot of reasons).

That's true, that is one of the reasons for the timing of the new AFL Women's, but in the long run, as more and more AFL clubs enter a team, it follows that the women's comp will need to extend further and further into the footy season, even if they still start in Feb (which I think is a good idea for a lot of reasons).
Correct. Once the remaining AFL teams come in (6 years? 10 years? Who knows at this stage) there should be the strength of numbers at grass roots level that the players will only play AFLW, and not need to go back and play for their state level team.

I'd imagine once that happens it'll follow a similar time period as the AFL.

I'm really hoping if all 18 teams come on board, that they cap it at a 17 game season for the sake of an even fixture

Correct. Once the remaining AFL teams come in (6 years? 10 years? Who knows at this stage) there should be the strength of numbers at grass roots level that the players will only play AFLW, and not need to go back and play for their state level team.

I'd imagine once that happens it'll follow a similar time period as the AFL.

I'm really hoping if all 18 teams come on board, that they cap it at a 17 game season for the sake of an even fixture

I reckon it will go along that line. Capping it at 17 games means the womens grand final being before the men's final series starts, which would work well.

I still think they'd start earlier than the men's because it helps the comp along, gets some footy on tv nice and early, gets more media space for the AFL earlier than usual, they don't need to use the MCG, etc, etc.

Surely a new comp is the perfect chance for the AFL to try some different things like a twilight GF or an interstate GF? Isn't there a risk of losing momentum if (for example) Adelaide play GWS in a Melbourne GF? Can't see a lot of fans travelling interstate, nor a lot of neutrals turning up.

As with the Men's comp it's about catering to the sponsors best.

If the majority of money in sponsorship for the league is coming from Victoria then that's where it's played.

There's only 2 legitimate places the Grand final should be
* the highest placed contenders Home ground
* a rotating basis. Based on the number of teams, every 2nd year should be in Melb.

Always having it in Melb is NOT fan friendly - Freo v Bris supporters don't get to watch their teams, while neutral Vic supporters do?

NBL, BBL etc all provide home ground advantage, but the AFL wants to give the Vic women's team an unfair advantage? They already have to travel less. That should be enough.

The BBL tried playing the final at a neutral ground - the next year they went back to the highest place team hosting it.

There is NO legitimate reason to have it in Melbourne permanent - and playing it a Etithad would expected, but would be a slap in the face of non-Vic teams. Starting this competition on the wrong foot.

Last edited:
As with the Men's comp it's about catering to the sponsors best.

If the majority of money in sponsorship for the league is coming from Victoria then that's where it's played.
It's a non for profit sports competition. The primary adjective *should* be fairness for the teams and players.

It's a non for profit sports competition. The primary adjective *should* be fairness for the teams and players.

giphy.gif

There's only 2 legitimate places the Grand final should be
* the highest placed contenders Home ground
* a rotating basis. Based on the number of teams, every 2nd year should be in Melb.

Always having it in Melb is NOT fan friendly - Freo v Bris supporters don't get to watch their teams, while neutral Vic supporters do?

NBL, BBL etc all provide home ground advantage, but the AFL wants to give the Vic women's team an unfair advantage? They already have to travel less. That should be enough.

The BBL tried playing the final at a neutral ground - the next year they went back to the highest place team hosting it.

There is NO legitimate reason to have it in Melbourne permanent - and playing it a Etithad would expected, but would be a slap in the face of non-Vic teams. Starting this competition on the wrong foot.

The NBL has been a failure for an eternity. The fact they do something is a great reason not too.

wtf. Most leagues give home advantage to the highest team. Just the AFL is corrupt to only have it in Melbourne.

There are some long lived competitions around the world which have established a tradition of playing a particular final at the one stadium.

It's not a case of corruption, especially when, in the case of the AFL, the footballers themselves want to play before 100,000 at the MCG.

There are some long lived competitions around the world which have established a tradition of playing a particular final at the one stadium.

It's not a case of corruption, especially when, in the case of the AFL, the footballers themselves want to play before 100,000 at the MCG.
Oops, wrong thread

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only valid reason for the men's grand final is that the MCG has a capacity of 100,000.

The women's grand final will not attached a crowd of 100,000.

Therefore, the reason for the game to be in Melbourne is invalid and anybody with a brain can see it's unfair.

The English FA cup final is always played at Wembley but it's no bodies home gorund. The big butt is that FA cup isn't that important to the top Premier cups. They are more interested in the premiership (no finals, just home and away) and the European Club cups.

The only valid reason for the men's grand final is that the MCG has a capacity of 100,000.

Therefore, the reason for the game to be in Melbourne is invalid and anybody with a brain can see it's unfair.

The English FA cup final is always played at Wembley but it's no bodies home gorund. The big butt is that FA cup isn't that important to the top Premier cups. They are more interested in the premiership (no finals, just home and away) and the European Club cups.
Wembley or the FA cup no longer has the magic it used to have in the 70s and 80s.

MCG improved with a makeover but I think Wembley went backwards.
Doesn't have the same magic.

Wembley or the FA cup no longer has the magic it used to have in the 70s and 80s.

MCG improved with a makeover but I think Wembley went backwards.
Doesn't have the same magic.

FA cup final has lost it's shine for sure. The top premier clubs don't give a toss about it.

Anyway, the women's final won't be played at the MCG but Docklands.

Yeh, I agree that the women's game presents an opportunity to do something different.

One argument people might use in favour of playing it in Melbourne is the fact that half the teams are from Melbourne (and at least half will always be from Melbourne), and at least one of the clubs are likely to be from Melbourne.

The other thing is that we have to take into account what the women want - do they want to continue the tradition of playing grand finals at the MCG?

Yeh, I agree that the women's game presents an opportunity to do something different.

One argument people might use in favour of playing it in Melbourne is the fact that half the teams are from Melbourne (and at least half will always be from Melbourne), and at least one of the clubs are likely to be from Melbourne.

The other thing is that we have to take into account what the women want - do they want to continue the tradition of playing grand finals at the MCG?
Are they going to get that choice?

Given the different sized teams, different ball, different uniform, different game length, you have to question how tradition is suddenly so important when it comes to Grand Finals, especially for a comp that never played any.

Are they going to get that choice?

Given the different sized teams, different ball, different uniform, different game length, you have to question how tradition is suddenly so important when it comes to Grand Finals, especially for a comp that never played any.

We can only answer in the negative if we know for sure that the majority of women have said they do not want a permanent home for the grand final to be Melbourne.

We can only answer in the negative if we know for sure that the majority of women have said they do not want a permanent home for the grand final to be Melbourne.
Well, what percentage are from Melbourne? That might be a clue. Also, only played in a couple of grand finals, but I never got asked where I wanted to play it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back