Autopsy Grand Final 2016 - all discussion in here and nowhere else

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we delete this thread already. I hate coming here and being reminded about the ******* game FFS

Just don't read it FFS

This thread has probably lost its momentum. But I was wondering whether teddy in for x would have had an impact on the gf.

X was a flop unfortunately. I just wonder whether teddy's cool head would have been valuable up forward.

This thread has probably lost its momentum. But I was wondering whether teddy in for x would have had an impact on the gf.

X was a flop unfortunately. I just wonder whether teddy's cool head would have been valuable up forward.
Sam Reid would have done more , XR was a dud at U18 level and still hasn't delivered, butted didn't as well till mid 20's.

X was only there cause Reid & Sinclair weren't fit. I'd expect to see plenty of Reid & Sinclair next year helping Buddy.

Totally forgot about Reid, or perhaps he didn't enter my mind because I was running through senior players who could have realistically come into the gf team.

We just had a few of the younger guys who appeared overawed by the occasion. I can't help but think if we had a couple more senior players in the team it may have tipped the balance in our favour.

Take the 2012 gf for instance. Mitch morton. If we had a kid in his place, no way do they knock the ball forward against 2 opponents into kj's path. No way do they kick 2 instinctive goals out if half chances.

The balance was just wrong. We once again copped injuries leading into the gf and didn't have adequate depth to cover. And probably had to play undergone players as a result.

It's either s**t luck, or our list profile is a little too thin to account for injuries.

I don't like to question our list management decisions, because the club does an amazing job. But I sometimes question whether we're too top heavy in terms of talent/money spent. Leaving the cupboard relatively bare at the tail end of our best 22. Particularly if we have 2 or 3 injuries.

We've constantly shed the latter end of our 22. And players who could have "performed a role" for us, have been replaced with developing kids.

It had an impact in 2 of our 4 finals matches this year.

The balance was just wrong. We once again copped injuries leading into the gf and didn't have adequate depth to cover. And probably had to play undergone players as a result.

It's either s**t luck, or our list profile is a little too thin to account for injuries.

I don't like to question our list management decisions, because the club does an amazing job. But I sometimes question whether we're too top heavy in terms of talent/money spent. Leaving the cupboard relatively bare at the tail end of our best 22. Particularly if we have 2 or 3 injuries.

We've constantly shed the latter end of our 22. And players who could have "performed a role" for us, have been replaced with developing kids.

It had an impact in 2 of our 4 finals matches this year.
We had 40 of the 45 players on our list available for the Grand Final. Only one of the missing 5 players had played more than 1 senior game all year.

We had one of the best injury runs in our history and one of the best injury runs in the entire league. I'm not targeting you personally here, but injuries are the most pathetic excuse of all for our Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had 40 of the 45 players on our list available for the Grand Final. Only one of the missing 5 players had played more than 1 senior game all year.

We had one of the best injury runs in our history and one of the best injury runs in the entire league. I'm not targeting you personally here, but injuries are the most pathetic excuse of all for our Grand Final.

No offence taken. But perhaps I should have been a bit clearer.

When talking injuries. I'm also referring to Mills and macca being included when underdone. And tippo also who should not have played.

I was referring to our injury list in relation to our depth.

Our list management strategy, post Franklin, has seen a focus on top end talent, at the expense of an experienced bottom 6. We've brought in a lot of youth, knowing they were unlikely to be able to stand up in big games. Imo we've done this in order to be able to spend more on our top end talent.

I think we underrated the quality of our list going into 2016, or perhaps it was a trade ban hangover. But I think we saw this year as a rebuild year rather than a genuine shot at a premiership. As a result we were found wanting on gf day with inexperience becoming a factor.

Had we adopted a different list management strategy we may have been in a position to cover macca and Mills without tipping the balance of experienced players (or players who you'd expect to perform in a gf).

I by no means suggest that we had a huge injury list, although I was alluding to 2013 & 2015 as wasted years due to significant injuries going into finals.

Point is. Our list management strategy almost leaves no margin for error. So if we cop any sort of injuries leading into finals our chances are severely hampered.

Does anyone else find it weird that this year's grand final was very similar to 2005?
Both premiers finished the H&A season with a 15-7 record and a percentage of 115% or thereabouts, both went to Perth in the first week of the finals, and both broke long premiership droughts.
Spooky.

Does anyone else find it weird that this year's grand final was very similar to 2005?
Both premiers finished the H&A season with a 15-7 record and a percentage of 115% or thereabouts, both went to Perth in the first week of the finals, and both broke long premiership droughts.
Spooky.

One team won with blood sweat and tears

The other....

Spooky.
we had a % of over 150 this year

Dare I suggest the Goodes non free and the bullshit 50/WC gifted goal saw umpiring affect the outcome that game?

It did, and I recall the AFL did acknowledge it afterwards. Didn't Kirk (?) go up to the umpires at 3/4 time in the PF against the Saints about our lack of frees in that game too?

It did, and I recall the AFL did acknowledge it afterwards. Didn't Kirk (?) go up to the umpires at 3/4 time in the PF against the Saints about our lack of frees in that game too?
Nah it was Hall. Roos told him to lay into McLaren and his bunch of crooks that night.

Maggots have been bending us over in September for years.

The game was far better umpired even ten years ago, at least in the 2005 GF they put the whistle away for both sides.

We weren't favoured by the umps because of our perceived 'ugly' game style, but we were never bent over as badly as we were this year.

The game was far better umpired even ten years ago, at least in the 2005 GF they put the whistle away for both sides.

2 "interstate" sides at the MCG on GF Day
Too confused as to who to penalise to blow the whistle no doubt.

But agree umpiring gets worse every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back