Mega Thread CasualChat 🍰 Cake Connoisseurs Thread 🍰 Vote in the Poll and tell Wosh they’re pretty to Receive your Cake Badge! 🍰 🍸

What is your favourite cake/dessert?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Please report back.

I've made it once. The white sauce didnt thicken. :unsure: :sadv1:
I'm a terrible greek.
If its too thin get a small bowl add a tablespoon of corn flour and about 3 tablespoons of water make a slurry
Slowly add bits of this to the becahmel and keep stirring until it thickens

If its too thin get a small bowl add a tablespoon of corn flour and about 3 tablespoons of water make a slurry
Slowly add bits of this to the becahmel and keep stirring until it thickens
I think i did that...

Anyway was many years ago. Ill forget about it and try again soon. As well as your lasange

I think i did that...

Anyway was many years ago. Ill forget about it and try again soon. As well as your lasange
I watched a youtube on Pastisio
The women added egg yolks to the final Béchamel layer
The idea is to create a custard
She liked it softer if you like it harder she said add whole eggs and bake longer

They all added bay leaf nutmeg, garlic and thyme and used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefalotyri cheese which is similar to Romano (sheep's milk)

Lol we actually had a debate about this at xmas time- whether ot not "pastisio is a bitch and a half to make"- I think my aunty was claiming it was easy af- I was like are you mad woman. Its so much mucking around and you use about 3567 pots to make it, alot of cleaning up at the end...

IIRC most people agreed with me.

Anyone made dolmades? I should give that a go- instead of buying the shitty vomit inducing ones at Coles.
No ,not a fan of the grape leaves ,will eat them if offered but wont seek them out

Ive made stuffed pickled cabbage leaves before and they are delicious

Cabbage rolls? Those are good. I should do some Ukrainian food soon. Might have to do some perogies.
Yes
With these

iu

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about saganaki? Is that hard to make???

CHEESE Spazz Cat saganaki is CHEEEEEEESE.
Yes
Its all about the timing

A slice of Kefalotiri cheese (practice with the Romano cube you can get in the supermarket)
Dust it in flour
Fry it in some olive oil
Flambé with ouzo or squeeze of lemon or both

A few seconds too much and it melted cheese in a pan still tastes good
You have to be ready to go too as its really only great when its hot

Haloumi is easier.... different more rubbery not melty

My missus 's little brother once put a block of cheese in the microwave and bit into it.
I nearly spewed. The smell was horrendous.

Is that kind of cheese pricey? Or not too bad??
From memory it was about $10
A Mediterranean deli should have it cheaper than that

This is pretty close and you can cut a smaller square of it (not as gamey but close)

Back