GWS/ACT team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Afraid I tend to agree

It's not hard drumming up support for AFL in ACT, Riverina and NT (and even South Africa!) where he seems intent to go looking ... how about getting some support from Greater Western Sydney first!???:rolleyes:

I'd be happy with playing away games in Canberra. If any cash-strapped Victorian club is willing to sell their home game against GWS, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Canberra to buy those games - the Victorian clubs would get a guaranteed gate of $200k for 5,000 at Manuka, but would get a bill if they played in front of 15,000 at Docklands.
But a new club to represent Western Sydney has to play their home games in the Sydney metro area. I could handle one home game maybe to be played elsewhere, but anything more than that would dilute the appeal of the club in what should be their home area.

I beleive
home games - homebush no matter what

if Richmond/Melbourne/North Melbourne/St Kilda/Western Bulldogs/Port Adelaide want to play games elsewhere for $ then they can host West Sydney at Manuka

...That's what Sheedy seems to want. Mentalist. ...
To be fair to Sheedy, he's only doing what's he's told to do from the powers above that pay his wages.

But apart from that, I agree with the rest of the comments and those of the following posts. All home games should be played in Sydney, but if away games with some Vic clubs after some extra $$$ can be arranged for Manuka, that's fine.

Too many people lack vision.

What is the connection between Hawthorn and Tasmania? St Kilda has more fans in Tassie than Hawthorn.

yes they need to engage Western Sydney but for obvious reason there is not a ready made fan base, you have to create one.

Up until now only the Swans have successfully engaged with the Canberra market but that now is going over to GWS who will have the ACT as part of their recruiting zone.

This is generational, not next year. the impact of lcoal kids playing in the ACT getting a chance in the GWS team in time will build a sense of ownership that is not there yet.

In the mean time bringing Vic teams up with away support is a good way to go. You dont want to be playing GWS v Gold Coast or Port Adel games in Canberra.

Give it time, it will work.

Article in the Age this morning which may settle this debate once and for all:

Northern league possibility

THE AFL is considering the merits of a northern states football league, in which the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney reserves teams could compete, as early as next season.The league could also include the Brisbane Lions and Sydney reserves teams, Northern Territory Thunder, which transferred to the AFLQ last season, a representative team from Canberra's ACTAFL, four top clubs from the AFLQ and four Sydney-based clubs.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/northern-league-possibility-20100320-qnbs.html

Cost is obviously the biggest factor. If that can be overcome it has great advantages as to the improved standard for our Reserve players. I do not think it will have anything to do with a relegation system. The only other impact upon the national scene might be decades down the track when a Canberra, Darwin, Cairns etc side has the support and finances to move into any vacancy.

There's no way that four Sydney based clubs could compete at that level.

A rep team ala the ACTAFL suggestion might be a possibility.

I think they intend only two Sydney based teams, the reserves for the Swans and the Reserves for GWS. The ACT side would be seperate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back