• Harry Perryman

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other - please state.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally think Josh Kelly.
Talented, great speaker.

Cogs had his shot and while I love him as a player, a fresh approach with a new coach is needed.
Greene isn’t on the field often enough, warranted or not, to be Captain.

Tom Green as VC in prep for his future as Captain.

Obviously have no idea about behind the scenes.

Talented, great speaker.

Cogs had his shot and while I love him as a player, a fresh approach with a new coach is needed.

I agree Kelly is the logical selection. I would be surprised if he is not captain. However if all 3 from last year want to remain captain, maybe we retain 3 cocaptains.

Would also have a 4 man leadership group.
Say Old Heads Ward and Davis with the youth of Taylor and Perryman/Peatling
Peatling seems out of place here.
What is the thinking on that one. Is he touted internally as a leader

Perryman, Taylor and Tom Green seem natural leaders and the club had Connor Idun in as well. Would have thought our future captains and leaders come from that lot.

Talented, great speaker.

Agree with everything said here really... except what planet are you on to think that Kelly is a great speaker?

Maybe he's better on the field/in the sheds... but mate, in front of a camera, he talks like a cardboard robot!

I just think it would be better that Adam sticks with the current 3 co-captains structure OR decides on a single captain.

Agree with everything said here really... except what planet are you on to think that Kelly is a great speaker?

Maybe he's better on the field/in the sheds... but mate, in front of a camera, he talks like a cardboard robot!
My opinion, but think he sounds like a leader when being questioned by the media. Cogs never sounded confident and TFG sounds like a mate having a discussion.

My opinion, but think he sounds like a leader when being questioned by the media. Cogs never sounded confident and TFG sounds like a mate having a discussion.
Fair call. I just wish it had a bit more charisma, charm or didn't sound quite so robitic. That said, he's been getting better every year. Similarly, the recent interview with HH shows he's been working on his media/public speaking in the past 12 months too.

AFL-Captaincy-16x9.jpg

GREENE TO LEAD
Toby Greene will lead the GIANTS into a new era under head coach Adam Kingsley, appointed as standalone captain for the 2023 AFL season.

29-year-old Greene is a foundation member of the club and one of the most decorated players in GIANTS history.

The two-time All Australian and Club Champion winner was appointed co-captain ahead of the 2022 AFL season - alongside Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly - and will take the reins as sole captain in 2023.

Coniglio and Kelly have been appointed vice-captains.

Greene said he was humbled to be appointed captain of the club he joined as an 18-year-old.

“It’s a huge honour,” Greene said.

“I've come a long way and it took a long time, but I’ve done a lot of work on my leadership skills.

“As a young kid I was probably nowhere near it and was trying to find my way in AFL footy but I’m in my twelfth season now and I’ve been here since the start.

“It’s a massive honour and I’ll be certainly putting all my time and effort into doing the best job I can.”

The trio will be supported by a new-look leadership group with Tom Green, Harry Perryman, Sam Taylor and Connor Idun officially joining the group for the first time.

In addition, Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Ash and Isaac Cumming have been named in an emerging leaders' group who will work closely with former co-captains Phil Davis and Callan Ward.

GIANTS General Manager of Football, Jason McCartney, said Greene’s appointment followed a comprehensive process that settled on a one-captain model.

“We’re thrilled to appoint Toby as captain of our club for 2023 and beyond,” he said.

“Toby is not only one of the most dynamic players in the AFL competition, he’s also an outstanding leader who gets the most out of his teammates and is intent on driving the GIANTS forward to greater heights.

“With a new head coach and new coaching group, we undertook a thorough leadership process with a preference for one-captain model as we embark on a new chapter for our club.

“We congratulate Tom, Harry, Sam and Connor on officially joining the group for the first time. It’s a fantastic recognition of their leadership qualities and influence on our club."

Last edited:
Wow pretty surprising that he's the solo captain, would've thought he'd be least likely of the three but pretty cool if thats what all the players and coaches want no wories as long as they're happy to put up with the inevitable drama thats going to come along at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm unsure it's a good thing that Kane Cornes supports Toby ... but I like the sentiment of this story!

Has the wave of public support shifted towards a player more wildly than Toby Greene?

About four seasons ago, at an early morning Sunday Footy Show production meeting, the shows panel and production crew were split when Greene was placed on the run sheet. Half loved him; half couldn't stand him.

There's been a complete 180 on Greene. Nearly all would love him if we were to have that meeting today with the same crew. I suspect it's the same with opposition players and most footy pundits, even those who don't support the Giants.

Back