Universal Love Half-Cat

Liger

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure how many people really think about Half-Cat but it may surprise some to know that it's been the same man in that costume for about 18+ years. He was a high-school teacher of mine in the late 90's when he got the gig and it's amazing to see that he's still running around as Half-Cat to this day. That's dedication!

Every time i see Half-Cat i can see the man in the suit smiling and loving every minute of being out on the ground, he's not some stoned teenager who's been pushed out onto the oval by a marketing department who's only concern is to earn $10 an hour and get back to unpause his Xbox at his shared house before all the weed has been smoked - Half-Cat bleeds blue & white and is one of the most genuine down to earth people you could meet.

I remember in the 80's when i was at primary school a Half-Cat showed up at school one day for some promotional reason and was swarmed by the kids, as you'd expect - what you wouldn't expect thou is watching this costumed cat throwing kids left and right and swinging at their heads trying to bat them away like they were zombies and it was his last stand. It was a massacre, i saw kids walking out of the pack holding their face crying because they'd been punched by the Cats mascot. I saw that! It haunted me for years.

Knowing the Half-Cat we have today - and have had for the best years of the Cats AFL history - is to know we have a true spirit of the club who cares deeply for people, for kids, for fans and for the mighty cats who take to the oval week in week out - and we should be honored to be represented by someone with that much dedication.

Come the rain, come 30+ degree days, Half-Cat is always out and about giving his best to drum up some atmosphere and i guarantee the man under the giant cat head is always wearing a big smile on his face because it's just the type of guy he is.

Here's to you Half-Cat :thumbsu: - one of the clubs longest serving warriors.

4978490907_e9b63d6214_z.jpg

Last edited:

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Without doubt easily shows the most personality of any mascots I've seen. I remember as a kid loving watching him getting a flag or scarf off an opposition fan, waving it to wind them up... and then promptly dropping it on the ground and walking off leaving it in the ground away from the person they got it from

Is fantastic with kids as well, my little bloke was a bit timid when he met him and halfcat was great.

Not sure how many people really think about Half-Cat but it may surprise some to know that it's been the same man in that costume for about 18+ years. He was a high-school teacher of mine in the late 90's when he got the gig and it's amazing to see that he's still running around as Half-Cat to this day. That's dedication!

Every time i see Half-Cat i can see the man in the suit smiling and loving every minute of being out on the ground, he's not some stoned teenager who's been pushed out onto the oval by a marketing department who's only concern is to earn $10 an hour and get back to unpause his Xbox at his shared house before all the weed has been smoked - Half-Cat bleeds blue & white and is one of the most genuine down to earth people you could meet.

I remember in the 80's when i was at primary school a Half-Cat showed up at school one day for some promotional reason and was swarmed by the kids, as you'd expect - what you wouldn't expect thou is watching this costumed cat throwing kids left and right and swinging at their heads trying to bat them away like they were zombies and it was his last stand. It was a massacre, i saw kids walking out of the pack holding their face crying because they'd been punched by the Cats mascot. I saw that! It haunted me for years.

Knowing the Half-Cat we have today - and have had for the best years of the Cats AFL history - is to know we have a true spirit of the club who cares deeply for people, for kids, for fans and for the mighty cats who take to the oval week in week out - and we should be honored to be represented by someone with that much dedication.

Come the rain, come 30+ degree days, Half-Cat is always out and about giving his best to drum up some atmosphere and i guarantee the man under the giant cat head is always wearing a big smile on his face because it's just the type of guy he is.

Nice OP Liger….all kudos to HalfCat…..legendary!

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

That's a lovely story, Liger- the man behind the mask becomes real for us in your telling of that tale. :)

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
My teacher was I Nankervis.
I see you one, and raise you one :)

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
so he was a better footballer than teacher then. :D
He was a star teacher to be honest. (he was my year leader and maths teacher)
And yes I got your joke.
And...he loved me. Because I could actually add. Its rare in Geelong :D

But he had this stern quizzical look.
Sort of like Clint eastwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
:confused:
I thought this thread was about Half-Cat?

Liger, what do you know about the time that Stokesy got to wear the suit (2009 GF night)?
Did he ask, was it offered, was it someone else's idea?
Whatever happened and whoever had the idea- it was just fantastic to see Stokesy's club spirit that night.

I also had Half-Cat as a teacher in high school, and I remember a couple of years ago at one of the open training sessions (the things that replaced the family day), sitting near by the boundary line near the players race, and over came Half-Cat to have a brief chat - 'Hi how you going? What you up to etc". It was only for a minute or so, and good to say hi, although it was somewhat strange talking to a giant cat head.

Not sure if there were any kids around or what they would have though of Half-Cat actually having a voice and talking, because I know as a kid it would have completely freaked me out if I heard a mascot like that talking.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Pfft - Michael Kol,Nigel Kol,Brendan McCartney & Brian Cordy as teachers.Beat that.

Or did they beat you? :D

Did you get the full experience from them? Did they beat you up? If that was at Chanel I've heard from a number of mates that went there in the 80s that one in particular was keen on the ole corporal punishment side of things.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Or did they beat you? :D
Wait,is that the reason I hate McCartney ? :D

Did you get the full experience from them? Did they beat you up? If that was at Chanel I've heard from a number of mates that went there in the 80s that one in particular was keen on the ole corporal punishment side of things.
Yes it was Chanel.That must've been before my time.I started their mid-80's.

Back