Universal Love Half-Cat

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait,is that the reason I hate McCartney ? :D

Yes it was Chanel.That must've been before my time.I started their mid-80's.

They all started in '80 and then moved onto either Norlane High or St Marys after year 9.

They all reckon one of the twins was particularly keen on the knuckle.

They all started in '80 and then moved onto either Norlane High or St Marys after year 9.

They all reckon one of the twins was particularly keen on the knuckle.

The Kol twins ?
Michael was a pleasant happy bloke.Nigel was a surly prick.It's the only way people could tell them apart.

When I was a kid he used to get a scarf off one of the other teams fans, and then he'd wipe he's arse on it.
It used to make me go batshit every time he did it.

That and when he'd try to sneak up on unsuspecting policemen and women and try and steal their hat. :)

Best one I ever saw though was before a game against Sydney and the Swans mascot was walking around behind the goals at the then Doug Wade stand end when Half Cat came out driving his mini Ford ute and pretended to line the Swan up. The Swan looked around, saw Half Cat bearing down on him and turned and ran.....straight into the point post. Comedy gold.

Would love to see him do something like this to BT too, but punch him in the back of the head instead of giving the peace sign before walking off...

That and when he'd try to sneak up on unsuspecting policemen and women and try and steal their hat. :)

Best one I ever saw though was before a game against Sydney and the Swans mascot was walking around behind the goals at the then Doug Wade stand end when Half Cat came out driving his mini Ford ute and pretended to line the Swan up. The Swan looked around, saw Half Cat bearing down on him and turned and ran.....straight into the point post. Comedy gold.

Would love to see him do something like this to BT too, but punch him in the back of the head instead of giving the peace sign before walking off...

hahaha! That's really funny :D

Anyone have any images of the rough, mean 80s half-cat suit? The one where the suit was based off of our late 80s/early 90s shield logo, I believe drawn or at least inspired by W.E.G. ? That's the one I grew up with as a kid.

geelong-logo-1983.gif

I remember you'd also see him teamed up with the Capital Cat (who remembers this building society before Bendigo Bank bought them out?) around Corio Village or Bay City Plaza/Market Square areas. Sometimes when Humphrey B Bear would rock up for a kids show, they'd also sometimes organise for him to appear. And of course school fetes and stuff.

Anyone have any images of the rough, mean 80s half-cat suit? The one where the suit was based off of our late 80s/early 90s shield logo, I believe drawn or at least inspired by W.E.G. ? That's the one I grew up with as a kid.

geelong-logo-1983.gif

I remember you'd also see him teamed up with the Capital Cat (who remembers this building society before Bendigo Bank bought them out?) around Corio Village or Bay City Plaza/Market Square areas. Sometimes when Humphrey B Bear would rock up for a kids show, they'd also sometimes organise for him to appear. And of course school fetes and stuff.

Lol, was just going to post the same thing.

Did a quick google search, couldn't find anything. :(

geelong-logo-1983.gif

I know exactly what your talking about. I can even tell you that the person under that suit was Ian McKenzie.

I've done half cat ONCE - on a warmish day in Canberra for the GWS game a couple of years back. Nothing but admiration for the guy who does it all the time.

The suit is SUPER hot - 28 degree day meant I was probably running at 55C. You can't see much and it stinks from the sweat. It's very hard to know where the kids are and kneeling in the suit needs to be done carefully - the biggest sin would be your head falling off in front of the kiddies! One hour in the suit and I needed five litres of fluids before I started to get back to normal.

I'd do it again tomorrow though - what a buzz!

I've done half cat ONCE - on a warmish day in Canberra for the GWS game a couple of years back. Nothing but admiration for the guy who does it all the time.

The suit is SUPER hot - 28 degree day meant I was probably running at 55C. You can't see much and it stinks from the sweat. It's very hard to know where the kids are and kneeling in the suit needs to be done carefully - the biggest sin would be your head falling off in front of the kiddies! One hour in the suit and I needed five litres of fluids before I started to get back to normal.

I'm impressed. I once had Humphrey B Bear's head on BTW. Pretty weird looking out through the mouth!

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to know where the kids are. Remember years ago I used to work at a supermarket and while I was there the store was being refurbished and at the re-opening they had all these costumes for brand mascots, ie. Caramello Koala, Sam Toucan etc. Walking around in them you only knew where the kids were when you felt one hugging your knees.

Was funny though. Two guys were dressed up and had a pretend fight in the car-park and got in trouble for it as all the kids were sad that two characters were punching on with each other. :D

Where I used to work purchased 3 mascot costumes a couple of years ago (and a 4th last year) and even though they primarily are used in winter, it gets so hot in them, especially when the sun is out & on you.

While working there I wore a couple of different costumes, not so bad inside as long as the building was air conditioned but outside you would tilt your head to try & get air into the head of the costume - the was "fan" inside the head, it was tiny & not great but you couldn't wear the head without it.

The vision is the hardest thing because you can only see out of one eye, so trying to turn your head to see without turning the mascot head was fun, along with trying to walk up & down stairs due to the oversized feet or having to sit on the ground with trying to get up & down.

Full respect to those who wear them for extended periods at a time, especially Half Cat, because if it's still Steve next year he has been wearing that for around 20 years (probably longer actually) - he was one of my high school teachers and I finished high school in 2011. If I'm at a match or open day & he's dressed up, we've had conversations if no one else (especially kids) are around, otherwise it's this knowing look & hand gestures of communication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to know where the kids are. Remember years ago I used to work at a supermarket and while I was there the store was being refurbished and at the re-opening they had all these costumes for brand mascots, ie. Caramello Koala, Sam Toucan etc. Walking around in them you only knew where the kids were when you felt one hugging your knees.

Was funny though. Two guys were dressed up and had a pretend fight in the car-park and got in trouble for it as all the kids were sad that two characters were punching on with each other. :D
Can't have someone punching pussy in the car park.

Bump.

Seeing some weird new half cat designs getting around on Twitter. Is this a recent change? Swore it was the same at the Richmond game.

The following is a photo I took at our home game on 30 March - thinking we have a new person in the mascot costume this year, so they have purchased a new costume which is designed around the new wearer

994A7053-7CB1-458F-822C-1968F47933E8.jpeg

I remember in the 80's when i was at primary school a Half-Cat showed up at school one day for some promotional reason and was swarmed by the kids, as you'd expect - what you wouldn't expect thou is watching this costumed cat throwing kids left and right and swinging at their heads trying to bat them away like they were zombies and it was his last stand. It was a massacre, i saw kids walking out of the pack holding their face crying because they'd been punched by the Cats mascot. I saw that! It haunted me for years.

PlainBackEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

Isnt that the female Cat ..Clawdia ?

That's half-cat. Here is Clawdia from the first AFLW game - looks to be a different 1/2 cat in the background though
IMG_6044.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back