News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Post. People look at the costs in terms of salary and picks/trading but never look at the resources put into players.

With the cap of football spending, when you spend money on Bennell, you rob something else.

Need to cut our losses.

Surgeries etc aren't included in football dept spending, neither is equipment or physio etc. It is a number related to staff and some other related spending. Otherwise, how would a club get new facilities? Or how would they budget for teams that have a horror run of injuries? Those things come under insurance and are not part of the football department spending cap.

Surgeries etc aren't included in football dept spending, neither is equipment or physio etc. It is a number related to staff and some other related spending. Otherwise, how would a club get new facilities? Or how would they budget for teams that have a horror run of injuries? Those things come under insurance and are not part of the football department spending cap.

Incorrect

There's a soft cap for football department spending where clubs pay an extra luxury tax if they exceed it

Who is the girl (the model) he went to Positano with after the season ? Is that the one he is no longer with ?
yup, not blaming that but yeah, issues kind of go hand in hand.
Harley's also currently driving one of Ross' cars while waiting for one, but there's more to it behind closed doors. which leads me to believe the club are doing their best to help Harley through what's going on.
it's up to harley now with the club's continued support. battling with depression amongst other things myself, i for one cant wait to see him get things right and come back and tear it up in purple.

I see the press have gone cold on Harley since he turned up early for training with Peel and stayed out there after the session had finished. He obviously has to do more than a WAFL player would have to do, so do I take it that he is still turning up on time and working hard at training?

I'm sure if the wheels had fallen off we would have heard about it by now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the press have gone cold on Harley since he turned up early for training with Peel and stayed out there after the session had finished. He obviously has to do more than a WAFL player would have to do, so do I take it that he is still turning up on time and working hard at training?

I'm sure if the wheels had fallen off we would have heard about it by now?

Bridget Lacy reported on his training Monday on 91.3 . I unfortunately missed it but maybe some on here heard it. I think I'll drop by Friday and see whats happening.

I know a lot of people wanted Harley hung drawn and quartered, but I think the club have done the right thing by giving him a taste of what life would be like away from an AFL environment. Given that it's the last year of his contract, this might sharpen his focus.

My recollection is that a few BF posters did suggest when they got together that the ex-girlfriend (model/celebrity wannabe) might not be what Harley needed. Maybe her exit won't be a bad thing in the long term.

* him off.

The club obviously has rules and if you don't adhere to these rules, see ya.

He has a history as well so no second chance needed.

I know a lot of people wanted Harley hung drawn and quartered, but I think the club have done the right thing by giving him a taste of what life would be like away from an AFL environment. Given that it's the last year of his contract, this might sharpen his focus.

My recollection is that a few BF posters did suggest when they got together that the ex-girlfriend (model/celebrity wannabe) might not be what Harley needed. Maybe her exit won't be a bad thing in the long term.

What is this taste of life away from an AFL environment ?

I hope it isn't training with the ressies for a few weeks

Please don't sugar coat this by comparing his lifestyle to your average Joe worker

**** him off.

The club obviously has rules and if you don't adhere to these rules, see ya.

He has a history as well so no second chance needed.

We gave him his second chance when we recruited him from GC

How many utensil ups since then ??

What is this taste of life away from an AFL environment ?

I hope it isn't training with the ressies for a few weeks

Please don't sugar coat this by comparing his lifestyle to your average Joe worker

I think the point was that these things are relative. Harley's adult workplace has been the AFL. This will be a jolt for him. Perhaps combined with sans girlfriend telling him what he wanted rather than what he needed, the light might go on.

He wasn't even arrested. All of this song and dance is to appease the media and the sort of footy supporters who believe all of the players need to also be great blokes.

You don't want to know how scummy some AFL players are who have golden reputations in public based entirely on their ability at footy.

Ultimately everyone would rather Harley kicks four a game, sets up another four with his 20 touches a week and wins a brownlow to go with his premiership medal. He will be a great bloke then.

It isn't unique to AFL footy either.

I think we as viewers attach an emotional connection to "our team" and "our players" so in our mind they reflect on us. We want that reflection to be good so when they play well it validates us, when they do something that embarrasses us by that association we project our feelings onto the player.

So if you're upset about a footy player who turns up to training and runs his nuts off all but one session, could be the best talent in the nation let alone our squad and has a year to show what he has now he is fit.. Well, that's on you.

He wasn't even arrested. All of this song and dance is to appease the media and the sort of footy supporters who believe all of the players need to also be great blokes.

You don't want to know how scummy some AFL players are who have golden reputations in public based entirely on their ability at footy.

Ultimately everyone would rather Harley kicks four a game, sets up another four with his 20 touches a week and wins a brownlow to go with his premiership medal. He will be a great bloke then.

It isn't unique to AFL footy either.

I think we as viewers attach an emotional connection to "our team" and "our players" so in our mind they reflect on us. We want that reflection to be good so when they play well it validates us, when they do something that embarrasses us by that association we project our feelings onto the player.

So if you're upset about a footy player who turns up to training and runs his nuts off all but one session, could be the best talent in the nation let alone our squad and has a year to show what he has now he is fit.. Well, that's on you.

I don't care about his character - I'm just concerned about his capacity to contribute - on the field - to my footy club. The club, however, needs to deal with his public behaviour, because it has a responsibility to his team-mates (they have to meet standards), supporters (they want to see him play AFL footy and contribute to winning games) and sponsors & club management (who want to see the club's (hard-won) professional image upheld.

He should have just left the nightclub when he was asked to leave.
With his history and media spotlight, why even put yourself in that position?

An Afl career is a short one but a lucrative one.

If I was signed to a club and told if I kept my nose clean and towed the company line with the promise of a big payday, I wouldn't leave my front door.

Plenty of time to play up when I retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back