News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. Only see Harley extending his contract if he plays minimum 15 AFL games. All other options reckon they will cut him loose

Not sure how they will tackle the season with him. I would have though 15 would be the maximum. I am not sure how it works with a player like him, but I would have thought they will be extremely careful, so there will be extra games he misses. Same with big Sandi.

Not sure how they will tackle the season with him. I would have though 15 would be the maximum. I am not sure how it works with a player like him, but I would have thought they will be extremely careful, so there will be extra games he misses. Same with big Sandi.

Sandi has a whole lot more credit than Harley, they cannot be compared.

My read is there’s no special treatment here. If Brayshaw and Cerra can play 15 plus then Harley needs to be at that level. All the talent in the world ould not save him if hes not on the park

If Harley was around in the 2013 GF team it's possible we win.
If the stars all line up at sometime in the next few seasons and we get a run at a GF he is worth it. Even 10 games a year out of him at the right time of the season is worth a spot on the list.
However if we crash and burn this or next year he must be moved on.

If Harley was around in the 2013 GF team it's possible we win.
If the stars all line up at sometime in the next few seasons and we get a run at a GF he is worth it. Even 10 games a year out of him at the right time of the season is worth a spot on the list.
However if we crash and burn this or next year he must be moved on.
He could be our Clark Keating :)

Harley and Sandi just playing home games would suit me fine, have to play the long game just in case we can
sneak into the Finals.
Worked a treat with the Bulldogs, and proved that it can be won from anywhere.
But you need to be primed at that time of the year and rest your stars, take a precautionary approach to key positions.
The bonus of this is that it creates depth, looking at our list our forward and rucks should be our strength. I'm hoping
Dixon is blooded asap, plus many other recruits.
Our best 22 should be focused at the end of the year not the start.

would be absolutely staggered if he plays 15 games this season. 10-12 would be a great return based on his injury history.
Im just saying. Posters said the same thing about Alex Pearce a year ago. If he gets his body right over the preseason, he might actually benefit from playing every game possible. It could be counterproductive to rest him.

Im just saying. Posters said the same thing about Alex Pearce a year ago. If he gets his body right over the preseason, he might actually benefit from playing every game possible. It could be counterproductive to rest him.

Alex did run out of steam ithough, he was close to useless in the run home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alex did run out of steam ithough, he was close to useless in the run home
Close to useless is a bit harsh. But, I agree he ran out of steam. It might not be accurate but my view is that Alex was carrying a minor injury that he couldnt shake towards the end of the year as he was mentioned as 'not a definite starter' in the media quite a few times towards the end of the season. My point is I dont think the broken leg injury was the reason he didnt finish the year even close to the level he was play in at in the first ten rounds. I dont think Harley increase his chances of re-injurying the calf if he plays most games. In fact if he can get through his calves should strengthen the more he plays. If Harley's going to get another calf injury its just as likely to happen running at training as it is in a game.

would be absolutely staggered if he plays 15 games this season. 10-12 would be a great return based on his injury history.
Then he’ll be cut. Not sure where this “Harley is our saviour” has come from. Guys played two game in 3 years.

He doesn’t deserve to be rested. Sandi does 15 seasons 200+games. Treat Harley the same as the 18yo kid coming through the door.

He can’t last a season he is gone into the real world like us.

Then he’ll be cut. Not sure where this “Harley is our saviour” has come from. Guys played two game in 3 years.

He doesn’t deserve to be rested. Sandi does 15 seasons 200+games. Treat Harley the same as the 18yo kid coming through the door.

He can’t last a season he is gone into the real world like us.
No one is saying he's the saviour. Miles from that. I agree that he should be treated like a 18y year old first year and play whenever possible though, resting him from games doesnt make the calf any stronger. In fact the opposite is probably true.

No one is saying he's the saviour. Miles from that. I agree that he should be treated like a 18y year old first year and play whenever possible though, resting him from games doesnt make the calf any stronger. In fact the opposite is probably true.

I think we agree. I quoted because its saying if we get 10-12 games form Bennell it’s a win. It’s not, for a 26 yo who hasn’t played in 3 years.

If he doesn’t play 15 games at a high level next year he is gone and so he should be.

I have no doubt Bennell was a special talent. He has let this club down multiple times off the field, the club invested draft picks and salary cap to get him over. He owes it’s supporters 100% commitment and effort to play his best footy this year and if he cannot deliver on or off the field he should be delisted.

Noting he has earnt minimum $1.2m since his time at the club. That’s equal $400k an afl game. Morabito would have been stoked to get that.

I think we agree. I quoted because its saying if we get 10-12 games form Bennell it’s a win. It’s not, for a 26 yo who hasn’t played in 3 years.

If he doesn’t play 15 games at a high level next year he is gone and so he should be.

I have no doubt Bennell was a special talent. He has let this club down multiple times off the field, the club invested draft picks and salary cap to get him over. He owes it’s supporters 100% commitment and effort to play his best footy this year and if he cannot deliver on or off the field he should be delisted.

Noting he has earnt minimum $1.2m since his time at the club. That’s equal $400k an afl game. Morabito would have been stoked to get that.
I know I view this differently to most, but I think his commitment to us has been fantastic outside of the nightclub incident (drinking when injured is terrible) and the bizarre behaviour in the Peel huddle. He flew half way around the world to get treatment and seems to have kept in ridiculously good shape considering how much time he's been injured. I didnt blame Alex Pearce for re-injuring his leg or Mora for the multiple knees. In other words I think it is rare that the player is to blame for not overcoming an injury and not a result of a bad attitude to training in the vast majority of cases. Harley's also looked and appeared motivated every time Ive seen hims train. I get the opposing view of putting the highlighted (by the media) issues together with his lack of availability for selection and make the assumption that his attitude is a reason why he hasnt played more, but to me he is no different to any other player cut down by injury who hasnt reached their potential. Overcoming the injury was predominately out of their control. Fine with anyone who disagrees as I see where you are coming from but to me Harley's so far has just been another victim of injury severely hindering their careers just like J.Longmuir or Stephen Koops or DEs Headland who all looked like potential superstars before injury hit. Hopefully Harley comes good.

Last edited:

That is laughable, he doesnt owe anyone anything, jack s**t!

This is a business, not some social club...

It's the post basically saying he should be treating his footy more like a business and less like a social club?
Sorry, but there is zero evidence he treats the football club like a social club. Social clubs also dont value things like low skin folds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back