Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good for you.

Hope you enjoyed talking to yourself.
We had a great chat.

Hopefully you now understand the pitfalls of using mere offence as your lodestar. Because who decides what offence is legitimate and what offence isn't? It's in the eye of the beholder.

So it becomes an all-you-can-eat offence buffet and then the religious zealots show up. And they're offended by all kinds of things. Do you want to accommodate their hurt feelings as well?

Much better to ignore all kinds of offence and develop standards independent of people's feelings. That way, we can all agree that mere offence doesn't compel any action or reaction from society in general.

"You're offended? We don't care. These are the standards that we've agreed independently of that."

Last edited:

A great deal of offence has been caused by these recent depictions of the prophet.

If avoiding offence is the highest objective here, surely the people who displayed the images are in the wrong and the Muslims have the moral right to expect their offence is acknowledged and accommodated?

If not, why not?

Who says it is?
What other reason is there to annotate Gone With The Wind or remove Little Britain from streaming services?

If that isn't all about "avoiding offence" then what is the objective?

Ask iBeng. There are "levels of offence". Racial offence is "higher" than religious offence.

There's a magic pyramid that tells us what kinds of offence we should take seriously and which kinds we can ignore.

Last edited:
What other reason is there to annotate Gone With The Wind or remove Little Britain from streaming services?
I didn’t offence wasn’t a reason. You seem to be putting up the straw man of “the highest objective”.

You tell us. This is your story.
Have you been drinking?

I referred to "avoiding offence" being the highest objective for some folks.

You replied: "Who says it is?"

So I'm asking you, if it's not all about avoiding offence, then what's it about? If that isn't the "highest objective", what is?

What other reasons are there to annotate Gone With The Wind or remove Little Britain from streaming services?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What point are you seeking to make here?

These things have taken place so clearly there were people who thought it a good idea. And folks in this thread have defended it, citing the aim of "avoiding offence".
OK so you contend that the highest objective - at any point - is to avoid offence.

You haven’t provided proof. Any quotes or statements?

OK so you contend that the highest objective - at any point - is to avoid offence.
That is not my objective.

That is the objective for people who worry about people being offended.

You haven’t provided proof. Any quotes or statements?
What other objective is there?

Why would people annotate Gone With The Wind or pull Little Britain other than to avoid offence? And to flag pre-emptively that they're on the same page?

Last edited:
That is the objective for people who worry about people being offended.
The highest objective you said.

This is based on an argument from incredulity or an argument from ignorance: either you can't believe there is another reason or you can't think of another reason. I don't know which.

So, your argument isn't even made out at this stage. You haven't provided evidence.

If you can get a quote or some sort of statement then we can agree on the basic facts. It might even resolve this argument fully if you can find something like that.

The highest objective you said.
Yes, for the people who are concerned about that. Clearly that doesn't include me.

This is based on an argument from incredulity or an argument from ignorance: either you can't believe there is another reason or you can't think of another reason. I don't know which.
By all means demonstrate that there is another objective being served - that is, another objective other than avoiding offence.

So, your argument isn't even made out at this stage. You haven't provided evidence.
It's self-evident. What other motivation is there beyond the avoidance of offence?

Me: Look, that dog is trying to licks its balls.
You: Really? Are you sure that's what it's trying to do? Can you prove it?

If you can get a quote or some sort of statement then we can agree on the basic facts. It might even resolve this argument fully if you can find something like that.
See above. Tell me, why would people annotate Gone With The Wind or pull Little Britain other than to avoid offence? What is the other objective being served?

That aside, feel free to revisit the links/quotes in the OP.

Take Little Britain for example - and by all means tell me what other principle is at stake here other than avoiding offending people.

The BBC and Britbox took Little Britain off on Monday. Both outlets said "times have changed" since it first aired.
Both shows include scenes where the comedians portray characters from different ethnic backgrounds.
"There's a lot of historical programming available on BBC iPlayer, which we regularly review," a BBC spokesperson said.
"Times have changed since Little Britain first aired so it is not currently available on BBC iPlayer."

In 2017, Lucas said: "If I could go back and do Little Britain again, I wouldn't make those jokes about transvestites. I wouldn't play black characters.
"Basically, I wouldn't make that show now. It would upset people. We made a more cruel kind of comedy than I'd do now."

why would people annotate Gone With The Wind or pull Little Britain other than to avoid offence? What is the other objective being served?
You haven't even made out a case that that is why they did any of it.

SURELY they made some sort of statement.

Take Little Britain for example - and by all means tell me what other principle is at stake here other than avoiding offending people.
So the creator agrees? What's the problem then?

So the creator agrees? What's the problem then?
"I wouldn't make that show now. It would upset people."

Here is your evidence that avoiding offence is the highest objective (for some), which is what you asked for.

The "problem" is that mere offence is neither here nor there.

The depictions of the prophet certainly "upset people" didn't they? We should get rid of those as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back