Society/Culture Drag Queen Story Time Cancellations

Remove this Banner Ad

Honest question coming from a long-lapsed Catholic for the_interloper. How actually Catholic are you? Would there be stuff in the State Curriculum that might give the Catholic in you the heebie jeebies?
Butting in, Catholic Schools adopt the Victorian Education F-10 Curriculum, it's pretty much 3 Rs but includes arts, philosophy, civics. Look it up, don't take any notice of the nonsense being posted by ideologues, ignorami. frankly, bigotry, just jibes and smarty pants stuff, not informational. The "Safe Schools" program is not part of curriculum, it's a resource, intended to allow values like anti-bullying to be incorporated into teaching. The extreme LGBTQ stuff isn't compulsory, it's open to the individual Schools to determine to what extent the resource is used and what parts of it. Catholic Schools rely upon the "Source of Life" programs, another to look up, rather than extreme parts of "Safe Schools". Interloper's interloping refugees from the State System are far more reliable than anything you'll learn in this thread.

Last edited:
Honest question coming from a long-lapsed Catholic for the_interloper. How actually Catholic are you? Would there be stuff in the State Curriculum that might give the Catholic in you the heebie jeebies?

I'm not really that Catholic, did the reconciliation, Confirmation, got married in a church but we only go to church for weddings/funerals etc, don't even go every Xmas.

Wouldn't say I'm too much of a believer (my wife would be more so) but honestly sending the young bloke to a Catholic school would be more out of tradition than anything else. It is a good school and walking distance as well which helps.

I should probably know what's in the state curriculum but I don't, we do monitor his work though so know what he's looking at. I can't say I've seen anything yet that scares me, God made the world, Jesus died for us etc etc. I'm sure stuff will come up that may need some "clarification" from us but I figure as long as we know what he's learning we can rebut if required.

LOL, I understand they are on opposite sides, but his could be used by hers just as well. There is a lot of projecting going on. ;)
nk7euk4nfv6b1.jpg

Butting in, Catholic Schools adopt the Victorian Education F-10 Curriculum, it's pretty much 3 Rs but includes arts, philosophy, civics. Look it up, don't take any notice of the nonsense being posted by ideologues, ignorami. frankly, bigotry, just jibes and smarty pants stuff, not informational. The "Safe Schools" program is not part of curriculum, it's a resource, intended to allow values like anti-bullying to be incorporated into teaching. The extreme LGBTQ stuff isn't compulsory, it's open to the individual Schools to determine to what extent the resource is used and what parts of it. Catholic Schools rely upon the "Source of Life" programs, another to look up, rather than extreme parts of "Safe Schools". Interloper's interloping refugees from the State System are far more reliable than anything you'll learn in this thread.

Safe Schools has good intent

and it doesn't seem to be an intrusive component.

While Source of Life doesn't expressly mention gays or the LGBT+ community I found this bit on page 69 interesting in its genderless language;

"Christian Life: Flourishing of human persons, the common good of societies, shared responsibility in relation to creation

Religious communities which are founded on the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures find in them both the imperative and the guidance to discern ways of being and acting in the world which faithfully respond to the creative love of God. Catholic communities also find guidance for living and acting in the traditions of social and moral teaching that have arisen over centuries of gospel-inspired practice.

At the heart of the quest for human flourishing is the fundamental moral understanding of the dignity of human persons. Created in the image of God, persons experience themselves as free agents of thought and action, among other human agents and in the non-human environment. The subject of inalienable rights to life, liberty, social engagement and self-expression, the person bears responsibility towards self and others for the full realisation of human potential.

As creatures, human persons also experience limits, frustrations and failures in achieving the goals that attract them. So the quest for the realisation of human potential involves the experience of human frailty and invites a continual participation in the gracious creativity of God.

The Scriptures and the social teaching of the Church call people and governments to work for peace, justice and the promotion of the common good of society. Inherently social, human persons develop best in peaceful and just societies, where family life, labour, commerce, the arts, political associations, and other societal structures, all enable the self-expression of each one, and offer ways to serve the good of others.

As with God’s creative activity, so human interest and responsibility extend beyond the human community to include relationships with animals, environments, the earth and its atmosphere. As that part of creation endowed with self-consciousness and freedom of decision and action, human persons exercise a particular responsibility in relation to creation, its life-systems, environments and resources.

Christians wait in hope for God’s redeeming love to gather all created things into the resurrection of Jesus, to share his glory beyond sickness, sin and death. This waiting is expressed in both prayer and action, in a collaboration with the Spirit of God leading to acts of healing, forgiveness, reconciliation and restoration
"

The term 'human persons' seems to me to be an all-inclusive term. Does it include gay people and the other stripes on the LGTB+ rainbow? The document is vague about it, but if everyone is simply a 'human person' regardless of the rest it renders alot of the male/female/non-binary differential language kind of moot.

At this stage it's only believers and non-believers.

It's an interesting way to go about it, if I'm not misinterpreting the above passage.

Safe Schools has good intent

and it doesn't seem to be an intrusive component.

While Source of Life doesn't expressly mention gays or the LGBT+ community I found this bit on page 69 interesting in its genderless language;

"Christian Life: Flourishing of human persons, the common good of societies, shared responsibility in relation to creation

Religious communities which are founded on the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures find in them both the imperative and the guidance to discern ways of being and acting in the world which faithfully respond to the creative love of God. Catholic communities also find guidance for living and acting in the traditions of social and moral teaching that have arisen over centuries of gospel-inspired practice.

At the heart of the quest for human flourishing is the fundamental moral understanding of the dignity of human persons. Created in the image of God, persons experience themselves as free agents of thought and action, among other human agents and in the non-human environment. The subject of inalienable rights to life, liberty, social engagement and self-expression, the person bears responsibility towards self and others for the full realisation of human potential.

As creatures, human persons also experience limits, frustrations and failures in achieving the goals that attract them. So the quest for the realisation of human potential involves the experience of human frailty and invites a continual participation in the gracious creativity of God.

The Scriptures and the social teaching of the Church call people and governments to work for peace, justice and the promotion of the common good of society. Inherently social, human persons develop best in peaceful and just societies, where family life, labour, commerce, the arts, political associations, and other societal structures, all enable the self-expression of each one, and offer ways to serve the good of others.

As with God’s creative activity, so human interest and responsibility extend beyond the human community to include relationships with animals, environments, the earth and its atmosphere. As that part of creation endowed with self-consciousness and freedom of decision and action, human persons exercise a particular responsibility in relation to creation, its life-systems, environments and resources.

Christians wait in hope for God’s redeeming love to gather all created things into the resurrection of Jesus, to share his glory beyond sickness, sin and death. This waiting is expressed in both prayer and action, in a collaboration with the Spirit of God leading to acts of healing, forgiveness, reconciliation and restoration
"

The term 'human persons' seems to me to be an all-inclusive term. Does it include gay people and the other stripes on the LGTB+ rainbow? The document is vague about it, but if everyone is simply a 'human person' regardless of the rest it renders alot of the male/female/non-binary differential language kind of moot.

At this stage it's only believers and non-believers.

It's an interesting way to go about it, if I'm not misinterpreting the above passage.
A great post. Well done for that research and thanks. ...inalienable rights to life, liberty, social engagement and self-expression, the person bears responsibility towards self and others for the full realisation of human potential is powerful, shades of French Revolution, US and Irish Declarations of Independence. Catholic Schools have come a long way since the days of black-soutaned Brothers and/or black-habited Nuns patrolling the aisles between double seated desks in straight rows, strap in hand. Similarly the Church has changed with reduced numbers practicing, minimal clergy and greater parishioner participation. Even the late Cardinal Pell, as traditional as they come, gave communion to communicants known to be gay, the only time I'm aware of refusal was an occasion, there may have been more than one, when militant gays attended as an organised protest and trooped up to take communion aggressively in defiance to make the point reflecting the distinction between sin and sinner. Your interpretation of "human beings" and "everyone" is consistent with the practice of catholicism in the parishes. An anecdote. The son, Scotch Old Boy, of a mate of mine is sending his children to his local catholic school. He told me, a few weeks back at lunch before a game, that his children are not obliged to attend religious education or liturgical events but can, that he and his wife are happy for them to attend because of underlying values, that he made the decision after inspecting both the local state and catholic schools. He noted that the classrooms in the state school were more austere, he said less joyful, bare walls whereas the rooms in the catholic school were brighter, the walls adorned with childrens' works and projects and religious imagery, stimulating.

Last edited:
I'm not really that Catholic, did the reconciliation, Confirmation, got married in a church but we only go to church for weddings/funerals etc, don't even go every Xmas.

Wouldn't say I'm too much of a believer (my wife would be more so) but honestly sending the young bloke to a Catholic school would be more out of tradition than anything else. It is a good school and walking distance as well which helps.

I should probably know what's in the state curriculum but I don't, we do monitor his work though so know what he's looking at. I can't say I've seen anything yet that scares me, God made the world, Jesus died for us etc etc. I'm sure stuff will come up that may need some "clarification" from us but I figure as long as we know what he's learning we can rebut if required.
Plenty of non-believers go to Catholic schools anyway. If the school has a solid academic record, that overrides a small RE part of curriculum for a lot of parents. I have Islamic friends who went to a Catholic school in Melbourne's west for example.

Plenty of non-believers go to Catholic schools anyway. If the school has a solid academic record, that overrides a small RE part of curriculum for a lot of parents. I have Islamic friends who went to a Catholic school in Melbourne's west for example.

Yeah they’re big on STEM and digital tech, they have an accelerated maths program which my son will probably be in, music lessons etc.

He does have an Anglican mate there, I only know because he did the holiday program at their church last holidays. Different genre slightly but at 50 bucks a day I’m ok if it’s the Church of Satan!

A great post. Well done for that research and thanks. ...inalienable rights to life, liberty, social engagement and self-expression, the person bears responsibility towards self and others for the full realisation of human potential is powerful, shades of French Revolution, US and Irish Declarations of Independence. Catholic Schools have come a long way since the days of black-soutaned Brothers and/or black-habited Nuns patrolling the aisles between double seated desks in straight rows, strap in hand. Similarly the Church has changed with reduced numbers practicing, minimal clergy and greater parishioner participation. Even the late Cardinal Pell, as traditional as they come, gave communion to communicants known to be gay, the only time I'm aware of refusal was an occasion, there may have been more than one, when militant gays attended as an organised protest and trooped up to take communion aggressively in defiance to make the point reflecting the distinction between sin and sinner. Your interpretation of "human beings" and "everyone" is consistent with the practice of catholicism in the parishes. An anecdote. The son, Scotch Old Boy, of a mate of mine is sending his children to his local catholic school. He told me, a few weeks back at lunch before a game, that his children are not obliged to attend religious education or liturgical events but can, that he and his wife are happy for them to attend because of underlying values, that he made the decision after inspecting both the local state and catholic schools. He noted that the classrooms in the state school were more austere, he said less joyful, bare walls whereas the rooms in the catholic school were brighter, the walls adorned with childrens' works and projects and religious imagery, stimulating.

Ok so George Pell did wear a dress, he did read bible stories and was a danger to children.

Do you think the angry bigots should spend their time protesting against the catholic church, instead of protesting libraries that hold drag queen story time events?

Ok so George Pell did wear a dress, he did read bible stories and was a danger to children.

Do you think the angry bigots should spend their time protesting against the catholic church, instead of protesting libraries that hold drag queen story time events?
The protest should be against the individual but the Catholic Church should get it too for housing and protecting these pond scum and doing very little to stop it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This post offends against

Remember these are real people you are talking to. Don't bait or provoke negative responses.
  • bigotry,
    likely to offend,
5 points and for those who ought to know better, exemplary penalty of a further 5 points. 2 week ban.

Last edited:
This post offends against

Remember these are real people you are talking to. Don't bait or provoke negative responses.
  • bigotry,
    likely to offend,
5 points and for those who ought to know better, exemplary penalty of a further 5 points. 2 week ban.

This is amusing coming from a guy using an alt account to avoid his ban.

Drag queen story time is pointless. It's a bit weird to me honestly. I'm not sure what the purpose is, but I'm not a fan. I'm no conservative, but I do believe this obsession with drag queens being around kids a bit strange. When I was a kid, drag queens made me quite uncomfortable, and this is just another pointless culture war topic to keep the good people at Sky and Junkee employed.

Drag queen story time is pointless. It's a bit weird to me honestly. I'm not sure what the purpose is, but I'm not a fan. I'm no conservative, but I do believe this obsession with drag queens being around kids a bit strange. When I was a kid, drag queens made me quite uncomfortable, and this is just another pointless culture war topic to keep the good people at Sky and Junkee employed.
The obsession is on the conservative side though.

These events aren't my cup of tea either, I just struggle to see why people are so hysterical about what other parents are taking their own kids to ¯\(ツ)

Do you understand the concept of freedom and personal choice? It doesn’t matter if you think DQST is pointless, weird, strange, uncomfortable, whatever. You don’t like it? Don’t attend.

Some parents do like the concept, so they should be given the right to not be harassed if they choose to attend it with their kids.

I’ll give you an animality. I personally think the “sport” of cricket may be amongst the most boring pasttimes ever forced upon humanity. I hated being made to stand in the hot summer sun in the middle of a field to occasionally retrieve and throw a ball back that’s was hit at me from a distance. I’d question the mental sanity of anyone who finds that “sport” nteresting.

But what you don’t see me doing is protesting against it or thinking politicians should ban it. If people want to rot their minds away spectating it then go ahead, it’s your life. All DQST proponents are asking for is the same.

If you make these posts along the lines of “I’m not conservative but why does this exist?” then you are basically pushing the RW narrative.

Do you understand the concept of freedom and personal choice? It doesn’t matter if you think DQST is pointless, weird, strange, uncomfortable, whatever. You don’t like it? Don’t attend.

Some parents do like the concept, so they should be given the right to not be harassed if they choose to attend it with their kids.

I’ll give you an animality. I personally think the “sport” of cricket may be amongst the most boring pasttimes ever forced upon humanity. I hated being made to stand in the hot summer sun in the middle of a field to occasionally retrieve and throw a ball back that’s was hit at me from a distance. I’d question the mental sanity of anyone who finds that “sport” nteresting.

But what you don’t see me doing is protesting against it or thinking politicians should ban it. If people want to rot their minds away spectating it then go ahead, it’s your life. All DQST proponents are asking for is the same.

If you make these posts along the lines of “I’m not conservative but why does this exist?” then you are basically pushing the RW narrative.
If you think about it cricket is the ultimate slacker sport, most of the time you're playing it you're either sitting down or standing still.

I just feel it is slightly nefarious. People with sexual deviances are more likely to be attracted to kids. My question is why does it have to be kids, just to break their understanding of gender? Which is okay, but really? *, I hated writing that, sounds like a Sky News host but I am genuinely curious.

I just feel it is slightly nefarious. People with sexual deviances are more likely to be attracted to kids. My question is why does it have to be kids, just to break their understanding of gender? Which is okay, but really? *, I hated writing that, sounds like a Sky News host but I am genuinely curious.

You should watch Pricsilla Queen of the Desert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back