Analysis Has Matt Finnis been a good CEO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Numbers would be skewed because of COVID. Don't think anyone is buying 11 game memberships this year purely out of uncertainty. Unless going to games isn't a main reason for their membership.
Potentially. But I believe a lot would have treated it as if it was a standard year and not an eye on another Covid impacted attendance year. Especially in Melbourne where we appeared to be on top of it for so long.
I think a lot would have done the same
I also did the same.

Probably many diehards but fairweathers would've dropped down a peg or two for sure.
Irregardless. If you want a true understanding of your membership growth and how we truly compare to our peers.

we need to understand what our membership total is compared to a full time membership equivalent.

now that might bring us down to 30k. But the tigers may only be at 55k doing the same exercise or could be the polar opposite and show how poor we look.

I understand Sunnys post and yeah it’s year on year growth. But what exactly are we growing? If it is a large number of fair weather members - that that could be catastrophic in the coming decades.

the club did a massive amount of research on stkilda fans. The true number should have us as a league powerhouse - if we could convert onfield into success. Building an increasing membership base whilst we are poor off it, should make us ask questions about its sustainability. The fact we don’t have an anchor we own at Moorabbin - still means we are at threat. The fact that the hawks invaded our turf and have gotten an amazing deal via the same council that we took a decade to kiss and make up with after 40 years of working together - is a huge warning signal.

we got our 11 game reserved seat membership x3
Great stuff...........with some luck from here to seasons end.....we'll only miss out on one home game.....the North game which had no crowd.

I actually looked at that as a blessing....lol.

Irregardless. If you want a true understanding of your membership growth and how we truly compare to our peers.

we need to understand what our membership total is compared to a full time membership equivalent.

now that might bring us down to 30k. But the tigers may only be at 55k doing the same exercise or could be the polar opposite and show how poor we look.

I understand Sunnys post and yeah it’s year on year growth. But what exactly are we growing? If it is a large number of fair weather members - that that could be catastrophic in the coming decades.

the club did a massive amount of research on stkilda fans. The true number should have us as a league powerhouse - if we could convert onfield into success. Building an increasing membership base whilst we are poor off it, should make us ask questions about its sustainability. The fact we don’t have an anchor we own at Moorabbin - still means we are at threat. The fact that the hawks invaded our turf and have gotten an amazing deal via the same council that we took a decade to kiss and make up with after 40 years of working together - is a huge warning signal.
Surely the answer is to get a pro StKilda council installed and gift the freehold to the Saints.
Anybody live in Moorabbin and fancies getting on the council?

If we did own the Freehold though I am not sure what impact that actually has.

I guess we can mortgage the land to finance a redevelopment in the future. But I can't see us selling it as we will still need a training ground.

So I guess apart from being able to say that we have more assets on the books, what advantage would it give us exactly over a long term lease? (sorry genuine question)
The freehold purely means we are anchored to the south east of Melbourne.

we saw just over a decade ago what a few egos can do.

now we have a potential club killer 15 minutes down the road. Who are there for life - once they break ground.

so, yes - well done to all involved who got us home. But the hawks in 2015 just secured their club for life. Even if they had 2 decades of bottom 4 finishes. They will almost always look stronger on a balance sheet and thus never be challenged about their status in the league financially - as they are secure.

I understand all that but to not acknowledge there would be less revenue from membership in years surrounding the lack of ability to attend games is silly IMO.

I understand all that but to not acknowledge there would be less revenue from membership in years surrounding the lack of ability to attend games is silly IMO.
You could easily baseline it against the prior 7 years and it would still give you a pretty good reflection year on year and club v club growth.

keep in mind, that if most of our memberships are juniors Infants or animals then the impact is greater then just membership. It impacts directly into merchandise etc.

You could easily baseline it against the prior 7 years and it would still give you a pretty good reflection year on year and club v club growth.

keep in mind, that if most of our memberships are juniors Infants or animals then the impact is greater then just membership. It impacts directly into merchandise etc.
I'm sure you can find the membership revenue in the report, they are publicly available.

I'm sure you can find the membership revenue in the report, they are publicly available.
I’m talking about the fact that if we are overly skewed towards juniors/infants/pets/aliens/mythical creatures as an example.
Then it impacts merchandise. Stadium deal etc.

As they can’t purchase products.

it’s why when people bang on about total membership numbers across the league - I tend to roll my eyes. You need the full time adult 11 game membership to be your biggest ticket item. Child second. Because that’s your future adult. But that must remain strong.

I’m talking about the fact that if we are overly skewed towards juniors/infants/pets/aliens/mythical creatures as an example.
Then it impacts merchandise. Stadium deal etc.

As they can’t purchase products.

it’s why when people bang on about total membership numbers across the league - I tend to roll my eyes. You need the full time adult 11 game membership to be your biggest ticket item. Child second. Because that’s your future adult. But that must remain strong.
Ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact we don’t have an anchor we own at Moorabbin - still means we are at threat. The fact that the hawks invaded our turf and have gotten an amazing deal via the same council that we took a decade to kiss and make up with after 40 years of working together - is a huge warning signal.
You never know Stavro......somewhere down the track we may get the Freehold to RSEA.........you never say never.

It's the ever asked question....how do you "bullet proof" the club(or any sporting organization) against periods of downturns.

Pokies aren't the answer as many AFL clubs have conceded.

The Hawks as you have mentioned are an interesting one.

Years down the track they will build the complex at Dingley.......I'd love to know their current business model(even their future one once the complex is completed)

As recently as 2018.....one quarter of their revenue was from pokies(24 mill)......we don't know the net profit as that's never released(as is with Geelong)

The Hawks could be a good "test case" on what they do financially when they decline onfield....they could possibly be down for years to come.

Our Prez has stated a few times that the club is actively investigating how to obtain additional revenue streams......how and when that will happen will be very interesting to see.

It just seems like a 50 year lease with a $50 million facility is a pretty good anchor.

I guess Hawthorn is in a better position but was that ever realistic for us. It is a 5 to 10 year development that is years off breaking ground. They are also contributing at least $30 million themselves plus additional federal government funding etc.

Not sure we could wait that long or have the funds to do. Funnily enough though it is half the way between Seaford and Moorabbin location wise.
The question about Moorabbin that needs to be asked is what is the value to us in the long term.

Probably many diehards but fairweathers would've dropped down a peg or two for sure.

Nah, I think they did well with the membership upgrade program. I kept our family H&A even though we're more likely to sit in Medallion

You never know Stavro......somewhere down the track we may get the Freehold to RSEA.........you never say never.

It's the ever asked question....how do you "bullet proof" the club(or any sporting organization) against periods of downturns.

Pokies aren't the answer as many AFL clubs have conceded.

The Hawks as you have mentioned are an interesting one.

Years down the track they will build the complex at Dingley.......I'd love to know their current business model(even their future one once the complex is completed)

As recently as 2018.....one quarter of their revenue was from pokies(24 mill)......we don't know the net profit as that's never released(as is with Geelong)

The Hawks could be a good "test case" on what they do financially when they decline onfield....they could possibly be down for years to come.

Our Prez has stated a few times that the club is actively investigating how to obtain additional revenue streams......how and when that will happen will be very interesting to see.

go check out Aligned Leisure ( council sporting facility management ) owned by Richmond FC

go check out Aligned Leisure ( council sporting facility management ) owned by Richmond FC
There's certainly a few Richmond people listed on Aligned's front page.....I was actually thinking of Richmond and Aligned as I was typing my post.

Does anyone know how they do financially with this venture?

It just seems like a 50 year lease with a $50 million facility is a pretty good anchor.

I guess Hawthorn is in a better position but was that ever realistic for us. It is a 5 to 10 year development that is years off breaking ground. They are also contributing at least $30 million themselves plus additional federal government funding etc.

Not sure we could wait that long or have the funds to do. Funnily enough though it is half the way between Seaford and Moorabbin location wise.

And even if we were able to find $30 million and do that deal ourselves there’d be plenty on here whinging that it was too far away from everything and that there were no decent coffee shops nearby.

If we had simply announced we were leaving Seaford and moving to a rubbish tip in Dingley then I doubt Finnis would be getting much adulation.

But Hawthorn are doing it so that means we suck

The freehold purely means we are anchored to the south east of Melbourne.

we saw just over a decade ago what a few egos can do.

now we have a potential club killer 15 minutes down the road. Who are there for life - once they break ground.

so, yes - well done to all involved who got us home. But the hawks in 2015 just secured their club for life. Even if they had 2 decades of bottom 4 finishes. They will almost always look stronger on a balance sheet and thus never be challenged about their status in the league financially - as they are secure.

They‘ll have Methane for life.

And even if we were able to find $30 million and do that deal ourselves there’d be plenty on here whinging that it was too far away from everything and that there were no decent coffee shops nearby.

If we had simply announced we were leaving Seaford and moving to a rubbish tip in Dingley then I doubt Finnis would be getting much adulation.

But Hawthorn are doing it so that means we suck

They just need to sit on their methane factory for 15 years then sell it as housing blocks. I hope it goes arse up on them.

They just need to sit on their methane factory for 15 years then sell it as housing blocks. I hope it goes arse up on them.

There will certainly be a big “build up” to the grand opening

N9xBJrK.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back