Have Margettes and Daglish removed from derby officiating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys I’m still seething about the derby umpiring on the weekend. I feel like I’m a fairly objective footy viewer, even when it comes to us. So when someone sent this to me I felt obligated to start a thread. The umpiring of the derby’s in recent years has been atrociously one sided. So much so, it’s got to the point where it can no longer be a coincidence. Just like cricket, I believe we need neutral umpires to officiate these games.
https://www.change.org/p/gillon-mclachlan-dean-margetts-jeff-daglish-no-more-derby-umpiring-games?recruiter=874138543&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.nafta_share_post_interaction.control&utm_content=ex96:control

Meh, I thought the fist derby last year was a worse spectacle of umpiring.

Sunday wasn't that bad. At no time did I feel we were in control of the game and always felt we were playing catch-up. Even when we were in front in the first it felt like they would come back. Umpiring had little effect on the end result.

However, disappointing that they can't change the umpires from time to time.

Out of interest, what is the win-loss record with either or both of these umpires in derbies?

I'm of the opinion that derby umpires should all be from interstate. The stigma that comes with a local ump doing it is too much.

Let Margetts and Dagleish enjoy another trip on the east coast.

Does the AFL still have a head of umpires? I think I read somewhere the holding the ball was 10 for WC and 2 for us?
Just on those figures in a close match something is wrong.
The stupid thing is that people complain about congestion, Its all Ross's fault, but the dropping the ball, holding the
ball rule could fix congestion in a heartbeat if policed correctly.
Prior opportunity is a crap rule, either dispose of the ball by hand, foot, or play the free kick, the eagles had so many
of these and the umps interpretation is biased, ruins many games of football.

Does the AFL still have a head of umpires? I think I read somewhere the holding the ball was 10 for WC and 2 for us?
Just on those figures in a close match something is wrong.
The stupid thing is that people complain about congestion, Its all Ross's fault, but the dropping the ball, holding the
ball rule could fix congestion in a heartbeat if policed correctly.
Prior opportunity is a crap rule, either dispose of the ball by hand, foot, or play the free kick, the eagles had so many
of these and the umps interpretation is biased, ruins many games of football.
I completely lost with holding the ball. The non docker games I watch and can't tell if umpires will pay it or not.

Changing the umpires would be sending the message the umpires are biased which the AFL will strongly deny even if it is subconscious due to crowd noise or fan boy-ing. The AFL wont have a bar of it's been discused many times over.
Like other posters have said if u dont get Dagliesh or Margetts it will be Farmer, Fisher or Stevic who will get ya. Its a no-win situation. Personally im hoping Margetts hangs up the sneakers soon anyway since he's hit 300 games.

In all seriousness though I thought he had been pretty good this year up until last weekend. I dont think any one of the 3 (Daglish, Margetts or Barrett) really stood out. They were all bog ordinary,.
Thought Margetts gave WC a little touch up when they played the swans round 1 too which was completely out of character.

Last edited:
The players are coached to hold it in. A free kick is better than a fast transition for the opposition. Hence Suban.
Suban was caught many times holding the ball, but was trying to break the tackle, other teams just hold it in and drop
the knees.
With so many ball ups, stop in play encourages players to surround the ball, umps play a free and watch the players run
To space.

On Margetts - No other professional league would let him umpire the team his wife works at let alone against their biggest rival.

Has an obvious conflict of interest in that his wife works for the eagles and is known to be mates with former West Coast players.

Even if he wasn’t biased at all the public will still think he is which isn’t good for the game imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just stupid sorry.

It's natural as supporters to hate and feel bias from umpires but come on, out of all the games this silly thing was chosen to be made it was made after a game we lost ourselves?

The players are coached to hold it in. A free kick is better than a fast transition for the opposition. Hence Suban.
Actually I reckon we don't throw and drop the ball enough, as a result we're far slower in congestion and have far worse disposal

On Margetts - No other professional league would let him umpire the team his wife works at let alone against their biggest rival.

Has an obvious conflict of interest in that his wife works for the eagles and is known to be mates with former West Coast players.

Even if he wasn’t biased at all the public will still think he is which isn’t good for the game imo.
Sorry but his wife doesn't work for the Weegs nor was he at Dean Cox's wedding as rumoured so don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I have a mutual friend and he has confirmed my comments last year and I have posted on that on BF in the past. We just weren't good enough against the Weegs and they were better on the day and it had nothing to do with so called biased umpiring.

Last edited:
Sorry but his wife doesn't work for the Weegs nor was he at Dean Cox's wedding as rumoured so don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I ahev a mutual friend and he has confirmed my comments last year and I have posted on that on BF in the past. We just weren't good enough against the Weegs and they were better on the day and it had nothing to do with so called biased umpiring.

Actually, the game was ours to lose in my view. No Tabs or Walters yet we stayed within cooee and fought back in last Q.

Lose it we did at various points such as when Fyfey had two late shots on goal but only got points. So in that sense we 'weren't good enough'. But when even the ABC "Grandstand" team name some clearly wrong umpire decisions against us in crucial places, then it's fair to say umpiring played a part in our loss.

I turned off the WCE-Port game today when the free kick count got to 23-9 in Eagles' favour - unwatchable footy. Far better to have interstate umps.

Actually, the game was ours to lose in my view. No Tabs or Walters yet we stayed within cooee and fought back in last Q.

Lose it we did at various points such as when Fyfey had two late shots on goal but only got points. So in that sense we 'weren't good enough'. But when even the ABC "Grandstand" team name some clearly wrong umpire decisions against us in crucial places, then it's fair to say umpiring played a part in our loss.

I turned off the WCE-Port game today when the free kick count got to 23-9 in Eagles' favour - unwatchable footy. Far better to have interstate umps.
Your opening line that the game was ours to lose in your view says it all player mistakes lost us the game not umpiring decisions.

Isn't the umpiring still part time, let alone with using local based umps?

It's a professional sport, yet with semi pro umpires - that is the basic issue. Professional umpiring will still make mistakes and be contentious though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back