Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 185 84.1%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Canberra

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Marvel

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Cairns

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Been some good games and crowds at marvel. Just fix the trains to and from

But just watch those teams complain about non access to the mcg if all Victorian teams games become best fit

If you look at Essendons fixturing over the last few years they get:
4 at the MCG - 1 of them is against a non-Victorian Club
7 at Marvel - never against Coll, Carl, Rich, Mel and now it seems Haw or Geel

If you look at Collingwoods fixturing they get
9 at the MCG
2 at Marvel - 1 of these is usually against North, Saints or Dogs

If we get a 7-4 or 8-3 split then yes we might end up with one match at Marvel against another Victorian Club.

On another note I think it's likely that hosting the Tassie team will be like hosting the Lions or the Swans - there are a lot of ex-Tasmanians living in Melbourne so they might end up pulling 5000 people to games at Marvel and the MCG.

In the past matches involving Geelong or Hawthorn and Essendon or Carlton used to often be played at Marvel, but now it appears that these matches will be at the MCG.

If you look at Essendons fixturing over the last few years they get:
4 at the MCG - 1 of them is against a non-Victorian Club
7 at Marvel - never against Coll, Carl, Rich, Mel and now it seems Haw or Geel

If you look at Collingwoods fixturing they get
9 at the MCG
2 at Marvel - 1 of these is usually against North, Saints or Dogs

If we get a 7-4 or 8-3 split then yes we might end up with one match at Marvel against another Victorian Club.

On another note I think it's likely that hosting the Tassie team will be like hosting the Lions or the Swans - there are a lot of ex-Tasmanians living in Melbourne so they might end up pulling 5000 people to games at Marvel and the MCG.

In the past matches involving Geelong or Hawthorn and Essendon or Carlton used to often be played at Marvel, but now it appears that these matches will be at the MCG.

So holding onto round 1 (v Essendon) and Easter Monday (v Geelong) should give us at least 2 away games (every second season) against non MCG co-tenants.

In any given season we will probably get 2 away games against co-tenants (3 if we go to Geelong) and if Carlton get an extra MCG game, we might get that too.

If we can get 6 or 7 MCG home games, 10 home and away games and have 3, 4 or even 5 bankable 60,000 plus fixtures every season that’s a pretty decent haul post Tasmania.

That way, the next time we jump up the ladder we can fully capitalise on membership and attendance growth and not waste time kicking around with 8,000 cheap Tasmanian members (which have not grown since 2010)

Peak Hawthorn can attract 60,000 plus against the Big 4, Geelong and Sydney

8-3 MCG-Marvel would be perfect for us I think IMO (Maybe even 7-4)

Our members will feel a lot better about Marvel with a proper reserved seat there.

Our MCC members won't like it but they always could just buy tickets for the Marvel matches and support the club.

We really don't need to be playing any of Suns/Giants/Port/Freo/Eagles/Crows at the MCG ever
I'm an MCC member and don't mind this. I already go to Marvel through the Hawks MCC add on membership which gives access to away games at Marvel and home games at UTAS.

Haven't made it down to UTAS for a game so might need to prioritise that next year.

Last edited:
The main thing for me is as many MCG games as possible, and as many Melbourne games as possible (others at Marvel).
Pocketing some cash from games in Launceston or Cairns is not to our long term benefit. With our form on the up, we need to get back to having the 5th highest crowds in Vic. This is what will get us a better fixture, and better deals at MCG or Marvel.

Reckon one game in Launceston until the end of the next media deal (2031) and one game in Cairns (I don’t see the point, but Gowers is keen) is the maximum outside of Victoria.

Our final MCG/Marvel split will depend on what the Saints and North do. If North return their games to Marvel, that will mean more MCG games for us. There are 43 games at Marvel this season and the AFL will not want to reduce that.

So holding onto round 1 (v Essendon) and Easter Monday (v Geelong) should give us at least 2 away games (every second season) against non MCG co-tenants.

In any given season we will probably get 2 away games against co-tenants (3 if we go to Geelong) and if Carlton get an extra MCG game, we might get that too.

If we can get 6 or 7 MCG home games, 10 home and away games and have 3, 4 or even 5 bankable 60,000 plus fixtures every season that’s a pretty decent haul post Tasmania.

That way, the next time we jump up the ladder we can fully capitalise on membership and attendance growth and not waste time kicking around with 8,000 cheap Tasmanian members (which have not grown since 2010)

Peak Hawthorn can attract 60,000 plus against the Big 4, Geelong and Sydney

I'm sure we'd be saying we want to play 11 matches at the MCG.

That could be 8 home games and 3 away games (against Ess, Coll, Carl, Rich, Mel, Geel)

and then we are playing 3 home games and 2 away games at Marvel

with 6 away games plus Gather Round.

Would be a great fixture and like Essendon and Carlton we'd be very familar with both the MCG and Marvel.

8-3 MCG-Marvel would be perfect for us I think IMO (Maybe even 7-4)

Our members will feel a lot better about Marvel with a proper reserved seat there.

Our MCC members won't like it but they always could just buy tickets for the Marvel matches and support the club.

We really don't need to be playing any of Suns/Giants/Port/Freo/Eagles/Crows at the MCG ever
Bang on, we need to push for 8-3

I'm sure we'd be saying we want to play 11 matches at the MCG.

That could be 8 home games and 3 away games (against Ess, Coll, Carl, Rich, Mel, Geel)

and then we are playing 3 home games and 2 away games at Marvel

with 6 away games plus Gather Round.

Would be a great fixture and like Essendon and Carlton we'd be very familar with both the MCG and Marvel.

The sleeper is the AFL’s ownership of Marvel Stadium. Hawthorn games could be quite valuable for them - certainly more than the Saints, Norf and Dogs - if Carlton and Essendon push for extra MCG games.

The AFL really don't gain much - apart from AFL membership out of MCG games, but they do out of Marvel.

I just can't see us getting the MCG games back now that we’ve lost them, especially with Essendon and Carlton on the up. Perhaps Geelong lose an MCG game or two now they've got the 40,000 seat stadium, but they'd probably need to slide first.

Will be interesting to see what the Lions game draws at Marvel - that could be an acid test for future fixtures.

The sleeper is the AFL’s ownership of Marvel Stadium. Hawthorn games could be quite valuable for them - certainly more than the Saints, Norf and Dogs - if Carlton and Essendon push for extra MCG games.

The AFL really don't gain much - apart from AFL membership out of MCG games, but they do out of Marvel.

I just can't see us getting the MCG games back now that we’ve lost them, especially with Essendon and Carlton on the up. Perhaps Geelong lose an MCG game or two now they've got the 40,000 seat stadium, but they'd probably need to slide first.

Will be interesting to see what the Lions game draws at Marvel - that could be an acid test for future fixtures.
Considering our form in the last 4 weeks the Lions crowd should be pretty good.

But it won't be.

Which will confirm that Marvel is fine for these sort of matches.

Perhaps Geelong lose an MCG game or two now they've got the 40,000 seat stadium, but they'd probably need to slide first.
FWIW - Geelong are hosting Richmond at GMHBA in a couple of weeks.

Second time since 2012

Last edited:
So been reported that Cairns want us to play games there, we want to still play in Tassie for the next few years at least, and we also want more MCG games eventually although there has been no discussion with the AFL on that.

Pretty interesting stuff. I think we are doing our Melbourne fans a disservice if we don’t increase our Melbourne presence

So been reported that Cairns want us to play games there, we want to still play in Tassie for the next few years at least, and we also want more MCG games eventually although there has been no discussion with the AFL on that.

Pretty interesting stuff. I think we are doing our Melbourne fans a disservice if we don’t increase our Melbourne presence

Ridiculous if true.

What Sunday showed is that Hawthorn can draw a crowd at Marvel - 30,000, with no reserve seating, and HFC members shunted around the top deck like cattle.

Clearly, the AFL and club underestimated the drawing power of that match, assuming that it was like the 4.40 pm "graveyard" Marvel games of 2022 and 2023 and closing half the GA seating areas.

Imagine what we could draw to a package of games at Marvel, with stadium reserve seating and proper marketing.

It's pretty difficult to be treated as a big club when the club treats its membership like North Melbourne. Imagine if we got outflanked by the Saints for an MCG game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe one Tassie game and rotate another year on year one in Perth and one in qld. Stay over and play the other games team in that state. That would easily cover the shortfall especially Perth
Would need MCG floor on home games in response.

Watch out for WA and other non vic teams complain about less MCG access if they get teams playing home games in their state

Ridiculous if true.

What Sunday showed is that Hawthorn can draw a crowd at Marvel - 30,000, with no reserve seating, and HFC members shunted around the top deck like cattle.

Clearly, the AFL and club underestimated the drawing power of that match, assuming that it was like the 4.40 pm "graveyard" Marvel games of 2022 and 2023 and closing half the GA seating areas.

Imagine what we could draw to a package of games at Marvel, with stadium reserve seating and proper marketing.

It's pretty difficult to be treated as a big club when the club treats its membership like North Melbourne. Imagine if we got outflanked by the Saints for an MCG game.
I know that a few years back that Collingwood members with reserved seating got reserved seating for games at Marvel.

I'll be pretty disappointed if the club sells home games that are disadvantageous when we are trying to compete for finals. Playing in Cairns for example (likely against gc or bris) when the club is in a strong financial position.

Tassie helped put us in this position, time to bring the home games back to the g.

We were able to reserve seats for the game at minimal if any cost

True but unlike Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton and any of the Marvel Stadium co-tenants we don’t have any locked in reserve seats at the stadium.

For a club with 80,000 members, who has drawn 65,000 plus to 6 of our last 13 games at the MCG (despite being bottom 4) that's ridiculous.

Very hesitant on Cairns. We would have zero advantage playing there and if playing Gold Coast or Brisbane there would basically be handing them a leg up. Only way I’d come close to considering it is if we played half the games there compared to Tassie for the same financial return from the QLD government - which would be unlikely.

Very hesitant on Cairns. We would have zero advantage playing there and if playing Gold Coast or Brisbane there would basically be handing them a leg up. Only way I’d come close to considering it is if we played half the games there compared to Tassie for the same financial return from the QLD government - which would be unlikely.
2 games a year for 3 million dollars. Wouldn't be the worst result, bank 2 more games in Melbourne than we've had over the last 2 decades as well.

2 games a year for 3 million dollars. Wouldn't be the worst result, bank 2 more games in Melbourne than we've had over the last 2 decades as well.

If that’s the deal and we get another major sponsor also then I’d take it. Fairly certain the Tasmanian major sponsorship is $1M per season so if we get a new major sponsor plus $1.5M per game in Cairns then I’ll be for it. I would just want an AFL guarantee for our remaining home game split to be 8 MCG/1 Marvel and get 1 or 2 more MCG away games per season.

Nothing wrong with Marvel. Two extra stops on the train and a shorter walk.

Really sad that the club is not prepared to back itself and play all games in Melbourne.

I would rather play ONE games in Cairns than give up home ground advantage in Launceston v Devils.

Nothing wrong with Marvel.

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

Back