Hawks Board 2021 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 27 - Judson Clarke
  • Pick 27 - Judson Clarke

Livewire small forward who can come in an add pressure to any contest. While its not a position of need, I don't think we can be taking any of our small forwards to the bank this year and Clarke offers us another shot at a really lively and dynamic spark plug.

Picks 29, 30, 31 - Bazzo, MacDonald, Howes
  • I assume the bid will be matched.

Saints - 28) M. Owens

Richmond will make the following selections:

Richmond - 29) R. Bazzo
    Richmond - 30) C. MacDonald
    Richmond - 31) B. Howes

A few other players were in consideration, namely Aleer and Brown. Given Richmond are looking at midfielders and KPD both Bazzo and MacDonald address an area of need, but the Howes pick was too good to pass up on.

Note if the Owens bid isn't matched in time then he'd just replace MacDonald

Current draft haul is:
    9) B. Hobbs
    17) T. Sonsie
    29) R. Bazzo
    30) C. MacDonald
    31) B. Howes

Last edited:
    Pick 32 - Ned Long
  • Pick 32 - WCE - Ned Long - Northern Knights - 192cm 88kg

another big mid for WCE, i am a fan of how he plays, he is a big brute of a midfielder and can go forward and play as a 3rd tall forward, kicking under pressure can be just for meterage, but has a good footy IQ and toughness in the contest, also a goal kicker and very impressive big mid.

Pick 33 - Josh Browne
  • Pick #33 Brisbane Lions - Josh Browne

This rounds out the last pick for the Lions and adds some midfield depth. Contested ball winning beast who can also hit the scoreboard.

I wanted Ned Long at this pick but Davo beat me to it by 1 pick.

I also wanted Sonsie with the lions 2nd pick and took Wilmot first hoping Sonsie would get through, which didn't occur. With Sonsie off the board I traded 4 places back in the 2nd round, knowing one of Motlop, Clarke or Butler would be available whilst moving up 8 spots in the 3rd round to select Browne here.

Other considerations for this pick were Leek Aller, Charlie Dean and Corey Warner.

Brisbane's haul:

Darcy Wilmot
    Sam Butler
    Josh Browne

Pick 34 - Leek Aleer
  • Pick 34: Carlton select: Leek Alleer, Ht: 196cm, wt:84kg, combine RVJ record of 107cm (5cm higher than NicNat)

The ”human highlight reel“ is the ideal replacement for Liam Jones in Carlton’s back 6.

I’ll write more later … strike that.. just re-watch the video and enjoy.

Leek Alleer.png

Last edited:
    Pick 35 - Tom Brown
  • Pick 35, Geelong select Tom Brown

Athletic and high IQ half back. If he can add size and a contested element to his game he will be a very well rounded utility. One I was going to consider with Geelong's initial 24 before I was able to trade up for Goater.

On to suburb whispers for the crows

Pick 36 - Sam Banks
  • Pick 36 - Adelaide select Sam Banks.

Banks is a running half back/midfielder with exquisite kicking skills and decision making. Can easily turn defense into attack with his run and ability to hit targets by foot over 40-50 meters.
    Plays like Bailey Dale. Also has outstanding leadership qualities.

Pick 37 - Jack Williams
  • With pick 37 Geelong select Jack Williams

With Bazzo, Alleer off the board it's time to take one of the remaining solid KPPs. I feel Williams was let down by his team mates a bit at the U19 games. Very solid with his leading and marking, and has runs on the board.

Davo-27 next for WC

Pick 38 - Toby Conway
  • pick 38 - WCE - Toby Conway - Geelong Falcons - 204cm 90kg

has had some mixed views about his performances, but i have always liked his games, in the AFL Academy game he played backup to Ned Moyle and gave away a few frees, but if you look pass the umpiring i thought he competed well and looked good regardless, i have liked his Geelong performances and Vic Country performances as well and i think he is the only ruck of quality in this draft, Mac Andrew is more a KPP/Ruck with more potential, whereas Conway is ready and with WCE they need a backup for NicNat as Williams is more KPP/Ruck as well, they also need a KPD after ive picked up a HFF/Mid and Bull Mid for them previously, but i might not be able to get one? so i went for a Ruck here as i think he could be a McEvoy type where he is good around the ground and competitive in the ruck in a couple of years when NicNat retires.

BurnaHawks you're up

Last edited:
    Pick 39 - Marcus Windhager
  • With Pick 39 Melbourne Pick - Marcus Windhager

Midfielder // 183cm/82kg // 16/5/03

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
    Windhager's power is his leading attribute and he uses it well. He can bust out of a stoppage or through a tackle and is also capable of playing in attacking or defensive roles across the field. A recent back injury while training in the off-season means he could go back a few spots on the draft board, but the St Kilda Next Generation Academy player has some good AFL qualities.

Alite you're up! or ST KILDA will you match?

Last edited:
    Pick 40 - Jake Soligo
  • With Pick 40 Melbourne Pick - Jake Soligo

Midfielder // 179cm/80kg // Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro // 25/1/03

Soligo has been on the radar for a number of years as he progressed through the under-16s program to be a busy midfielder for the Ranges this season. He averaged 23 disposals this year, including lifting that to 27 touches across his last three games of the campaign in the NAB League. Although smaller, Soligo works hard and is adept at accumulating the ball and feeding it out. He played in Richmond's VFL side as well this year.

Alite you're up!

Last edited:
    Pick 41 - Cooper Murley
  • Pick 41: Carlton select: Cooper Murley, Ht: 180cm, Wt: 71kgs

I was after a contested speedy crumbing small fwd who could also apply defensive pressure and am stoked to see Cooper Murley still available. A highly energetic type with good skills and a touch of class, he comes with the bonus of being able to add to the midfield rotations or slot in on a wing. He is perfect for Carlton’s needs.

For those who have not seen him (# 1 in red… or just look for the quickest player on the field).

AD2AA5A7-111F-4F19-BBE8-053AABB17414.jpeg

Others considered:
    Forwards: Paul Curtis (at this stage he seems more of a lead up fwd than a contested crumber) and Kai Lohmann.
    Wing: Isaac Birt and Brady Hough look good.
    Midfield: Sheldrick is a ready to go wrecking ball.

But I must admit I was almost hoping that Morley was taken so that I could select Ronal Fejo Jr.

Carlton’s last two picks will be rookie upgrades:
    Pick ~76: Matt Kennedy Rookie elevation
    Pick ~84: Josh Honey Rookie elevation.

Last edited:
    Pick 42 - Brady Hough
  • With pick 42, Geelong select Brady Hough

Brady Hough has come a long way in the space of a year, rapidly rising to become Peel Thunder’s top prospect and a surprise bolter among the West Australian hopefuls. Having shown promising form at Colts level, the 18-year-old earned state Under 19 selection and even cracked the League grade in his final WAFL outing for the year, taking to the level like a duck to water with 22 disposals, nine marks and a goal. With the versatility to play on flanks at both ends of the ground or on either side of midfield, Hough catches the eye with his class on the ball and work rate off it.

Now to Dominic03 with a couple picks for North

Pick 47 - Tyreece Leiu
  • Assuming a match on Burgoyne but if not, I'll edit this post.

With pick 47, Geelong select Tyreece Leiu

Have been really going back and forth on this pick to round out Geelong's draft haul. Strongly considered a group of Leiu, Sheldrick, Tunstill, Dean, Stretch and Lohman. I would have considered a bid on Eric Benning if Geelong had not already selected Jack Williams.

I loved what Tunstill showed in flashes in the U19 games but it was ultimately too hard to select an average sized/paced midfielder with his inconsistency. And Sheldrick as a 179cm/88kg 18 year old with average kicking held him back.

Lieu's ability to go back as a 194cm midfielder to dominate as a CHB/interceptor was too hard to pass up. I imagine he will start his development as a defender.

Geelong's draft is now complete with:
    Josh Goater
    Tom Brown
    Jack Williams
    Brady Hough
    Tyreece Leiu

On to PhatHQ for the (other) scum

Pick 48 - Charlie Dean
  • Pick 48 - Charlie Dean
    VFL standout who would slot into the bombers defence nicely with a change of the guard happening. Ready to go and I don’t think he will disappoint.
    The Dons defence looks quite settled but you can’t pass up on someone that can push others out to make the team better

Pick 49 - Isaac Birt
  • With pick 49 Collingwood have selected Isaac Birt. I think he will surprise as a later pick and more importantly is only the second draftee with a name from the Old Testament. I believe Isaac means laughter.

Pick 51 - Kai Lohmann
  • With pick 51 Hawthorn select

Kai Lohmann

Another small(ish) forward, but one we have interviewed an dput some interest into. I am honestly pretty shocked he's still here, I might be missing something but for a genuine talent like Kai to fall this low is shocking.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS is up next for Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 52 - Kade Ditmarr
  • I think I may have had a selection skipped…. If not 🤷🏼‍♂️

Kade Dittmar

East Perth boy who loves a tackle. Inside mid with size who could potentially follow a similar path as our very own Worps. The Bombers could do with some help on the inside with some different looks and someone who loves the hard stuff in and under to take a bit of heat off Parrish would be just what the doctor ordered.
    I recon a slow burn with this selection and will be right in the mix after a couple of Pre seasons

Last edited:
    Pick 53 - Ronald Fejo Jr.
  • Pick 53

GWS Giants select Ronald Fejo Jnr.

The smoothest of smooth movers tops off the Giants draft.

Mac Andrew
    Josh Gibcus
    Josh Fahey
    Ronald Fejo Jnr. :cool:

Slick next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back