Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what its worth one of the footy journos on fox footy last night expressed the opinion that Cogs will stay at GWS, but that some clubs were coming hard at him.

I assume we are one of those clubs and at least we can take comfort in the knowledge that Wrighty will have plans if he does want to jump ship or indeed if he stays.

I think GWS wouldn’t mind nabbing a good ruck that doesn’t snort weird substances. Maybe the Ned Reeves acquisition is with one eye to the future trading rounds (ie look at trading Pittonet/Cegs and still have two AFL ready and one developing ruck).

I know that if we are to land Cogs it will most likely be as an RFA, but it’s always good to have options that are in demand.

Sorry but what does this mean?
I think it means that the players' payments were structured such that they aren't getting paid all that much in 2019; hence, retirements doesn't necessarily free up a bunch of cash.

I.e. A retiring player may have earned $2m over 4 years; however, if they were paid $800k, $600k, $400k & $200k per year, then the amount freed up by their retiring ($200k) isn't going to see GWS clearing cap space & allowing them to re-sign others (Coniglio, Kelly at al.) with ease.

What I can confirm is that it is already adding to the GWS Cap dilemma and “priorities”. Any body who thinks the GWS has made room to retain BOTH Cogs and Kelly is living in fairyland. If they re-signed both, they would have to jettison, and substantially.
Players expected to finish this year are both on heavy front ended contracts.

Cogs of course is a RFA which has its own implications.

I really can't believe GWS have such limited cap space, I'm not sure who is on such big money up there for them. When you look at a club like Richmond who have been able to give Martin and Lynch million dollar contracts whilst retaining their entire list- Riewoldt, Rance, Cotchin etc. on big money.. Seems like someone has really made some blunders managing the cap for the Giants..

I really can't believe GWS have such limited cap space, I'm not sure who is on such big money up there for them. When you look at a club like Richmond who have been able to give Martin and Lynch million dollar contracts whilst retaining their entire list- Riewoldt, Rance, Cotchin etc. on big money.. Seems like someone has really made some blunders managing the cap for the Giants..
Really? cameron, Greene, kelly, coniglio, ward, Davis, Whitfield, Taranto, Haynes, Williams plus a heap of young guns coming through. They still probably have the most A graders out of any team in the league. Also they probably have to overpay to keep guys up there

Really? cameron, Greene, kelly, coniglio, ward, Davis, Whitfield, Taranto, Haynes, Williams plus a heap of young guns coming through. They still probably have the most A graders out of any team in the league. Also they probably have to overpay to keep guys up there
Hmm yeah I suppose they have a number of players to manage... I still think Richmond has done a better job of player retention/cap management, but I suppose they don't have the obstacle of players being lured back to Victoria and given their premiership win, have been able to get some to take pay cuts where GWS don't have that luxury..

Apart for the fact that they do have a lot of talent on their list, clubs have to pay 95% of the cap every year, that leads to kids getting more than they are worth at clubs like GWS and GCS to begin with

Which can inflate their self worth, add to that early draft picks automatically start on more and how many of the picks are early ones every year for the Giants and it's not hard to understand why, especially when you look at their list and think about the fact that every club has been trying to poach players off them since they joined the league

You’d think we are a week after the grand final with all this free agent talk, definitely not two days before the season kicks off

Edit: yes I’m aware this is the free agency thread. Im starting to think supporters enjoy the trade period more than the season proper these days

It's that pre-season lull before the real stuff kicks off.

Once games get underway the traffic here will slow ... a little

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we smack this FA period for a six.
I think getting Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw in a single offseason will prove to be quite the smacking.

Only a couple of years after getting Mitchell and O'Meara in the same offseason.

We're good at this smacking stuff.

I think getting Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw in a single offseason will prove to be quite the smacking.

Only a couple of years after getting Mitchell and O'Meara in the same offseason.

We're good at this smacking stuff.

I said FA period, everyone already knows that we give the trade period a good smacking.

I just want to give the media muppets an actual reason to call us the master manipulators of FA.

There's a couple of FA's that I wouldn't mind the club having a crack at, hopefully the club go hard out and then take our picks to the draft.

Unless a KPP presents itself in the trade period of course.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep if we missed Coniglio and Taranto became available, very similar and younger.
Except that Coniglio is a free agent which we can acquire for salary cap space only. Taranto we cannot

Some news from inside the GWS camp, expect BIG announcements re Cogs AND Kelly tomorrow. Let’s see if this has some validation.

Last edited:
Some news from inside the GWS camp, expect BIG announcements re Cogs AND Kelly tomorrow. Let’s see if this has some validation.
Jeepers, announcing re-signings right before the start of the season for morale purposes?
Or getting on the front foot and addressing the issues (in discussions, no more comments etc) in an attempt to stop it becoming a big issue? - personally wouldn't see that as a big announcement, however.

Even better "hawks have been wonderful to deal with and as a show of good faith, we're releasing him to the hawks during the mid-season draft"???

not good news by the sounds of it for us :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back