Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
(If we get Cogs)

Get the young mids to try other roles too i.e small forward roles. Burgers and Pops won’t be around forever. We may also think of Jaegar, Cogs or Tom being more flexible too

Could also trade in a forward if one of them gets to a super high standard.

That’s what I’d do.

Some of our younger likely small forwards will be thinking about all of the above too

Hmmm

I'm talking more about the noise the media will make than what is actually happening behind the scenes.

If he was 100% staying the only reason to not have signed is if they are still negotiating length/$$$/captaincy or it's contingent on what happens with Kelly and others
There's a fair bit of detail to work through I think. Bonus etc that we may actually be able to pay within the TPP in the future. We were apparently having to ask players to forgo them for the last couple of years.

It wont be the captaincy though. Ward and Davis own the captaincy for the forseeable future.

Really? So we can rely on 3 A grade mids and ship the rest off? I recall we had all of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Roughead and Burgoyne line up in the centre square during 2010-13.

I'm not saying ship them all off, I'm saying that any of them are expendable in a trade for Coniglio.

But to your point - would we be a better team with Coniglio in it, or with Howe, Cousins and Worpel? Will all of them be playing in the side by the end of the year (or when Mitchell is fit). IMO only Worpel is guaranteed a game.

THey can't sign everyone to big coin. If they lock in Cogs, move onto Taranto.

Leave that up to young Jack Scrimshaw, I'm more than sure he's capable of luring one of his good mates over.

https://www.instagram.com/jackscrimshaw/p/BOtcnAnDKYG/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=gnhuzzj3b46x

I'm also more than sure that someone has already floated this idea by him and he likes the sound of it.

Would still obviously prefer Coniglio, however Taranto would be a more than handy consolation prize.

It's almost a fact?

I'm going to hold you personally responsible if it doesn't happen.

Don't you worry, it's definitely fact.

It's fact and everyone knows it.

Everyone knows it and they're in denial.

So deep in denial that I was thread banned from the Stephen Coniglio thread on the Drafts, Trading & Free Agency board for posting this.

20190306_202107.jpg

Jeez, talk about being headf***ed, so headf***ed that it was even deleted.

I want Clarko and GW to make it happen just for the melts, it will be amazing.

Don't you worry, it's definitely fact.

It's fact and everyone knows it.

Everyone knows it and they're in denial.

So deep in denial that I was thread banned from the Stephen Coniglio thread on the Drafts, Trading & Free Agency board for posting this.

View attachment 637070

Jeez, talk about being headf***ed, so headf***ed that it was even deleted.

I want Clarko and GW to make it happen just for the melts, it will be amazing.

Did they? That’s a joke. That thread is already melting.

I can’t explain what this will do to the comp if we sign him. If you thought there were melts with the 3 peat, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

There's a fair bit of detail to work through I think. Bonus etc that we may actually be able to pay within the TPP in the future. We were apparently having to ask players to forgo them for the last couple of years.

It wont be the captaincy though. Ward and Davis own the captaincy for the forseeable future.

I couldn't care less about the circumstances, all that I care about is landing Coniglio.

I know that I'd be rightfully ticked off if I was asked to forgo my hard earned and contractually obliged bonuses because the club had totally bungled everything.

Especially when that bonus in question would have been part of the reason I stayed in the first place.

Even more so if I decided to do the team thing and agree to it, because it appeared as though success was imminent.

It's little wonder there's players leaving and until it's been resolved, it's not going to stop.

Nothing personal because you seem like a fair and rational person, but the longer that you have Ward and Davis as co-captains and Leon Cameron as your coach, the longer it'll take you to reach the top of the mountain and the more players you'll have leave.

Now as for Coniglio, surely there is a very realistic chance that we may land his signature, even you can't deny that.

He has a very close and very real bond with both Mitchell and O'Meara, this surely would be a factor in relation to him leaving or staying.

We'll be all the better with him on our list and it'll bring your plastic franchise down another peg.

That in itself is more than reason enough for us to get the deal done.

Now take this as a gift from me to you, just please don't have it deleted.

PLEEEAAASSSEEE!

20190306_202107.jpg

Did they? That’s a joke. That thread is already melting.

I can’t explain what this will do to the comp if we sign him. If you thought there were melts with the 3 peat, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Yes they did mate, true story and yes, it is a joke.

Their clubs miserable existence itself, is a joke.

You're most certainly correct, the thread is already melting and if we do happen to land Coniglio then it'll only increase the melting to those of biblical proportions.

Considering that we're always labelled as the master manipulators of FA, then I feel it's only fair to land a FA of an elite calibre.

Maybe we can call it #freeagenthawthorn just for giggles?

I couldn't care less about the circumstances, all that I care about is landing Coniglio.

I know that I'd be rightfully ticked off if I was asked to forgo my hard earned and contractually obliged bonuses because the club had totally bungled everything.

Especially when that bonus in question would have been part of the reason I stayed in the first place.

Even more so if I decided to do the team thing and agree to it, because it appeared as though success was imminent.

It's little wonder there's players leaving and until it's been resolved, it's not going to stop.

Nothing personal because you seem like a fair and rational person, but the longer that you have Ward and Davis as co-captains and Leon Cameron as your coach, the longer it'll take you to reach the top of the mountain and the more players you'll have leave.

Now as for Coniglio, surely there is a very realistic chance that we may land his signature, even you can't deny that.

He has a very close and very real bond with both Mitchell and O'Meara, this surely would be a factor in relation to him leaving or staying.

We'll be all the better with him on our list and it'll bring your plastic franchise down another peg.

That in itself is more than reason enough for us to get the deal done.

Now take this as a gift from me to you, just please don't have it deleted.

PLEEEAAASSSEEE!

View attachment 637098
Tks for the chuckle
Bye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main concern is that Kelly and/or Taranto will commit to another team whilst we are working on Coniglio, which means GWS will have more money to convince Coniglio to stay.

Interesting, could you shed anymore light on this?

Hopefully it's not the injectors or the spooners.

What I can confirm is that it is already adding to the GWS Cap dilemma and “priorities”. Any body who thinks the GWS has made room to retain BOTH Cogs and Kelly is living in fairyland. If they re-signed both, they would have to jettison, and substantially.
Players expected to finish this year are both on heavy front ended contracts.

Cogs of course is a RFA which has its own implications.

Last edited:
My main concern is that Kelly and/or Taranto will commit to another team whilst we are working on Coniglio, which means GWS will have more money to convince Coniglio to stay.
Only behind closed doors until the season is over.

Cogs is an RFA as well which means they can match, assuming our offer can fit inside the Giants cap ;)

If he wants us we will get it done. Long wait to find out I expect

What I can confirm is that it is already adding to the GWS Cap dilemma and “priorities”. Any body who thinks the GWS has made room to retain BOTH Cogs and Kelly is living in fairyland. Players expected to finish this year are both on heavy front ended contracts.

Thanks for the response mate.

That's music to my ears mate, the more strain that their salary cap suffers is better for the rest of the competition.

I was thinking amid all of the trade period dilemmas, that they would already have a handful of players chewing up half of their cap space.

If they were to sign both Coniglio and Kelly on $1M+ contracts, it'd be their undoing as it would leave the majority of their playing list, fighting for the crumbs left over.

Let's just hope that HFC has already received a commitment from Coniglio, or at the very least, has got him strongly considering us.

I honestly feel that we'll get him across the line, he needs to be our number one priority.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you basically saying that GWS is getting the feeling that they will lose one of them at a minimum?

Is the club in a position to heavily front load any potential contract for him, in turn making it impossible for GWS to match?

Last edited:

I may be wrong but don't both the AFL trade and FA periods, start at the same time?

If so, then we need to get Coniglio to nominate us from the minute it opens and we need to massively front load the contact, to the point where even considering to match it would make GWS cower in terror.

Then they can try what they can to retain Kelly.

If it went the other way around and Kelly leaves first, surely they'd be able to match any offer, regardless of how it's structured?

What I can confirm is that it is already adding to the GWS Cap dilemma and “priorities”. Any body who thinks the GWS has made room to retain BOTH Cogs and Kelly is living in fairyland. If they re-signed both, they would have to jettison, and substantially.
Players expected to finish this year are both on heavy front ended contracts.

Cogs of course is a RFA which has its own implications.
Sorry but what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back