2023 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's hardly tarnishing them to have a higher standard of expectations for the leaders of the club.
I'm not talking about Mitchell, Hodge, Bugoyne levels of leadership either.
This crop isn't even up to the standard of our second tier leaders from the premiership era.
What a load of rubbish.

Numbers of times they point at teammates per match.
Luke Hodge greatest captain ever = highest PAT per match I have ever seen.
Are you being serious?

I’m starting to think you’re just trolling.

2015: Birchall, Roughead, Gunston, Sewell, McEvoy, Smith, Gibson, Shiels...
Interesting that Sewell still had a leadership role in 2015 despite retiring at the end of 2014.

2015: Birchall, Roughead, Gunston, Sewell, McEvoy, Smith, Gibson, Shiels...
There is no way you could of guaranteed that all those guys would of been leaders at our club when they first started playing AFL, the same as you can't guarantee we now have a core group of players who will not develop into equally good leaders at the club.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There is no way you could of guaranteed that all those guys would of been leaders at our club when they first started playing AFL, the same as you can't guarantee we now have a core group of players who will not develop into equally good leaders at the club.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I think we have plenty with leadership potential on the list - but my comment was not addressing that issue.
It was specifically about the newly elected leadership group.

OK, excuse that oversight.
The rest of the post remains.
Not really. McEvoy had been at the club for two years, Sewell was retired and quite a few of the rest you're remembering as strong leaders because the club was far more successful over that period, and - as the poster said above - hindsight is a wonderful thing. You admitted previously that you're struggling to stay interested in the Hawks let alone football so you're already closed off to believing that this crop of leaders will be any good.

As far as the leadership discussion goes(my observations), Sicily seems to have matured and is highly respected at the club, he is also one of the more experienced guys within the team and has been groomed for the past 12 months to take the captaincy, is he a natural leader? not sure, but he will at least lead by example on the field ect.

As for the Vice Captains, Luke Breust and Dylan Moore are opposites, Breust is very much a follower, but is experienced, hard working and respected, Moore seems very comfortable leading, he takes responsibility, isn't shy to be vocal and make decisions

As for Leadership Group, Sam Frost is tough and uncompromising, willing to fly the flag for the team and takes responsibility, Mitch Lewis as training watchers have reported is vocal amongst the lads and seems popular amongst the group, Jarman Impey is a very nice guy, well liked and has experience

The only other guy I would have thought might have got a leadership spot was Harry Morrison, for him being vocal at training.

But when I look at the playing list I think these are the best options we have at the time, there's potential for others to step up in the future, I was thinking Jai Newcombe could be an inclusion for the future, but understand the club might want him focusing on maintaining form and position within the team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the most experienced player on our list, I feel like Punky has nothing but respect from his teammates and would be looked up to by many of the younger forwards (and in general). It's very befitting that he joins the leadership group at this time.

As far as the leadership discussion goes(my observations), Sicily seems to have matured and is highly respected at the club, he is also one of the more experienced guys within the team and has been groomed for the past 12 months to take the captaincy, is he a natural leader? not sure, but he will at least lead by example on the field ect.

As for the Vice Captains, Luke Breust and Dylan Moore are opposites, Breust is very much a follower, but is experienced, hard working and respected, Moore seems very comfortable leading, he takes responsibility, isn't shy to be vocal and make decisions

As for Leadership Group, Sam Frost is tough and uncompromising, willing to fly the flag for the team and takes responsibility, Mitch Lewis as training watchers have reported is vocal amongst the lads and seems popular amongst the group, Jarman Impey is a very nice guy, well liked and has experience

The only other guy I would have thought might have got a leadership spot was Harry Morrison, for him being vocal at training.

But when I look at the playing list I think these are the best options we have at the time, there's potential for others to step up in the future, I was thinking Jai Newcombe could be an inclusion for the future, but understand the club might want him focusing on maintaining form and position within the team.
I'm also surprised by the Morrison omission, he is very vocal at training and on the ground during games so definitely thought he would get in there. Seems like a very natural leader.

I'm also surprised by the Morrison omission, he is very vocal at training and on the ground during games so definitely thought he would get in there. Seems like a very natural leader.
He has had some hamstring issues of late which has taken him out of training for significant periods during pre-season and put him in rehab. Others have stepped up and been pretty vocal

He has had some hamstring issues of late which has taken him out of training for significant periods during pre-season and put him in rehab. Others have stepped up and been pretty vocal
"Others have stepped up".

I love it.

I'm not sure he's guaranteed a game every week and will be fringe best 22 if we do in fact blood the youngsters as expected. Good, all round solid player who has improved but doesn't have the tricks of some of the others. Maybe that was a factor in his omission.

Not really. McEvoy had been at the club for two years, Sewell was retired and quite a few of the rest you're remembering as strong leaders because the club was far more successful over that period, and - as the poster said above - hindsight is a wonderful thing. You admitted previously that you're struggling to stay interested in the Hawks let alone football so you're already closed off to believing that this crop of leaders will be any good.
McEvoy - so?
The club was successful because they were all such good leaders.
Im not closed off to any such idea, i just don't see this crop being close to the names i listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back